Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On the issue of hate

Burgold

I'm not sure if it's just been the past few days or if it's been bubbling up for weeks or even months, but there's been a lot of hate filled statements posted on ES recently. I'm not sure if it's the topics or just a few people, but the umbrella statement condemning groups is just unhealthy and it is not the ES I have come to love.

We used to be able to debate nearly any topic with humor, intelligence, and flares of anger, but there was an underlying current of civility and friendship.

The blanket statements of hate being aimed towards various groups is really bugging me and I've seen it in at least two different threads today. That's not the mods' problem, that's our problem. We need to self monitor.

Conservatives are not evil and the enemy nor are liberals nor are Jews or Palestinians or Christians or Atheists. The President of the United States is neither Hitler nor the Devil. We need to find a more constructive to frame are arguments. I don't know if the hate is because of laziness, carelessness or actual hate.

All I'm asking is for all of us to be a little more conscious of what we write and how we relate to each other.

Okay, have at me with both barrels.

Disproving that all Jews are good with the whole 'sense of humor' thing. Way to kill stereotypes, Burgold. :thumbsup:

Well, I gots to keep it reals, yo!

and besides, I'm pretty sure that Predicto knows that I'm just teasing back.

The tailgate is going through a bit of a dip into the "whacko/hater" gully as it is want to do from time to time and such matters are regularly a part of various staff discussions. I prefer as much of a "hands off" approach as possible while not ignoring our rules and standards too much (though to me that is the easier softer way with far less work/hassle as a mod).

A careful reading of rule 12 might be enlightening for some. And it never hurts to review rule 5 carefully.

I think it's fair to say we want as loose, open, fun, crazy, smart, informative, interesting, and entertaining forum as possible. Hate, stupidity, nutjobs, flaming, and gratuitous crap-flinging of various forms--not so much.

But regarding any and all of these qualities--the good, bad, and the ugly--there are rules and guidelines that can be applied. :)

I think it's fair to say we want as loose, open, fun, crazy, smart, informative, interesting, and entertaining forum as possible. Hate, stupidity, nutjobs, flaming, and gratuitous crap-flinging of various forms--not so much.

But regarding any and all of these qualities--the good, bad, and the ugly--there are rules and guidelines that can be applied. :)

gotta keep the snakes fed! :silly:

There certainly is a more, almost, mean-spirited nature to some of the debates going on around here lately. But as Jumbo pointed out, the Tailgate tends to be a cyclical beast, and we all know what follows the downward part of the cycle.

FWIW, I see most of the regulars here the way I saw my brother growing up. I could whip his ass. I could put him in a garbage can and sit on the lid. But God help YOU if YOU tried to do something like that. :ols:

And I think most of the other regulars see things the same way. No matter what any of them think of my positions, political or otherwise, I'm confident I could have a beer with them at a tailgate, without having any hard feelings at all.

Finally, I'll say this. (Not blowing smoke either.) The tailgate would be a better place if we had more Burgolds on both sides. I've always found you to be fair, honest, and one who doesn't see the world through party-colored glasses. You're a better man than I am, sir. (Not that that was ever in question.) :pfft:

If I had to take a stab at the reason why ES is so spiteful, I'd guess it has something to do with the fact that it's the beginning of June and we're all suffering from serious withdrawal.

Offseasonitis probably has a lot to do with it.

Life without football pretty much sucks.

breaks = banning from extreme skins..

I said some really stupid things over the last 6 years.

In every case i am given a pass because i try ... i fail... but i try.

Those that don't try normally don't get too many passes.

You could use ignore incredibly sparingly and remove 80% of the hate in 6 moves.

breaks = banning from extreme skins..

Right. I get that. But to be honest, I'd instantly recognize the handful of posters that I've had actual problems with over the years. (All of which have been banned, while I maintain my membership, BTW.) :pfft:

I would also add...and man...this is gonna sound like a big-time suck up, but it's not. The different styles of moderating we have here combine to make this place run pretty damned efficiently.

I've run the gamut of mod-contact. I've had a few temp bans, a perma-ban (in the suicide by mod thread), and a few friendly ass-chewings. In each case, I can say I was treated fairly. If anything, the mods I've encountered as far as board discipline goes have erred in my favor, if they erred at all.

I've often said that I like Jumbo's "call you a complete dip**** while leaving you feeling good about yourself" style. And I do. But I also know, and have seen, that those who truly "just spew hate" get gone. And they get gone permanently.

Archived