Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Team RB Rankings

MattFancy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiSB6dOR2UboY2sESy3AkdJDubYF?slug=jc-rbrankings053110

30. Washington Redskins: Clinton Portis(notes), Larry Johnson(notes) and Willie Parker: The names sound so impressive until you realize it’s not 2006 or 2007 anymore. That’s the last time any of these guys were really good for an entire season. They’re all at the end of their careers. Perhaps coach Mike Shanahan will get enough out of them as a combination to be respectable and he still could add Brian Westbrook(notes). But that’s a big “perhaps.”

9. Dallas Cowboys: Of all the great running backs to wear a star upon thars (sorry, “The Sneetches” was one of my favorite stories to read to my sons when they were little), Marion Barber(notes) may be second only to Duane Thomas as an unrealized talent and complete enigma. Barber was on a path to greatness before a toe injury in 2008. Now, he’s still a solid player, but hardly the pounding presence he was before. It may not matter because the Cowboys probably have the best tailback depth in the NFL right now with Felix Jones(notes) and Tashard Choice(notes) behind Barber.

16. New York Giants: How the mighty have fallen. If you want to point to one reason why the Giants regressed so much last season, it was the decline of their overall running game, both the backs and the blocking ahead of them. For now, we’ll just talk about the running backs. After losing Derrick Ward(notes) last season, the plan was to put more weight on Brandon Jacobs’(notes) shoulders. It didn’t work as Jacobs regressed because of injury (his knee was bothering him all year). Backup Ahmad Bradshaw(notes) was also banged up all year. Now, this group could easily return to greatness with a return to health, but that’s a big if.

31. Philadelphia Eagles: After cutting Westbrook, the Eagles are clearly banking on LeSean McCoy(notes) becoming the all-around running and receiving threat to trigger the offense. Based on how McCoy played last season, that may be a bit of a stretch. McCoy looked tentative as a runner and out of place as a receiver. He’s a talented guy, so there’s still a chance, but the first impression was questionable. Bullish Leonard Weaver(notes) is around to pick up some change-of-pace yards, but he’s not a true backup.

Not sure about being the 3rd worst in the league. Yeah our guys are a little older, but when healthy, they are still very solid RBs.

How are the Broncos rated 10th in the league?

I'll bet you a couple ham sammiches our rushing attack ends up in the top 15 in the league.

I'd agree with that. Our problem last year rushing the ball was due to the beat up OL and the fact teams could load the box with no fear of JC beating them deep. Now our OL should be improved and McNabb is much better than JC. Plus Shanahan is known for having good rushing teams.

I just think it's funny cause we've got a couple threads where people are feeling good because there's a glowing article about us being a "legitimate organization" and how nice it is to have the media love us.........and then there's stuff like this.

I don't give a **** what the media thinks, we're going to be better than we were last year, our FO has improved, nearly every position on the team has been improved (maybe not enough, but improved) and yes that means at RB also. The media is nonsensical often (at best).

Stuff like this:

"3. Carolina Panthers: In 2008, the Panthers used the combination of DeAngelo Williams(notes) and Jonathan Stewart(notes) as the foundation of a playoff team and kept former quarterback Jake Delhomme(notes) from getting exposed. Last season, Williams missed three games with injuries and Stewart was slowed early in the season. Not surprisingly, Delhomme and the team were awful. The total numbers produced by Williams and Stewart weren’t that much different from the year before, but they clearly weren’t as effective. One thing they could use is more production as receivers."

should tell you someone's mind isn't working clearly. He knocks the Skins because we've got 3 guys who can be really great, but may not last a whole season, so we're 30th. Then he says Carolina has 2 guys who can be really great, but might not last the whole season, and they're 3rd. And it's not just that, he doesn't say ANYTHING positive about the team he's ranked 3rd, that's just stupid. So......why'd you rank those guys 3rd again, cause right now your argument is awful.

What he said about Leonard Weaver is pretty stupid to. That guy is a playmaker. He is a FB that runs very well and catches very well also.

agreed, i think he has us and the eagles ranked to low. oh well, we shall see once the season starts.

Whats this moron talking about. Last time I checked CP had 1500 yards in 2008 and was averaging 4 yards a carry last year behind an atrocious Oline in a crappy offense until he got a concussion.

I'm sure he would argue that he wasn't good the entire season. Just really good the first half of the season.

I'm sure he would argue that he wasn't good the entire season. Just really good the first half of the season.

So good the first half he came in fourth for the entire year? He could argue all he wants, he screwed the pooch on that one. Try researching players before you slam them.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/player?seasonId=2008&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go

1. Adrian Peterson MIN 1760

2. Michael Turner ATL 1699

3. DeAngelo Williams CAR 1515

4. Clinton Portis WAS 1487

5. Thomas Jones NYJ 1312

Whats this moron talking about. Last time I checked CP had 1500 yards in 2008 and was averaging 4 yards a carry last year behind an atrocious Oline in a crappy offense until he got a concussion.

This is what I was thinking too. Also LJ looks like has been working hard and looks good.

I really dont think we will be worse than last year with McNabb, and Shanny calling the plays.

We were ranked 27th last year with Zorn calling plays, a patch-work offensive line, no deep threat, with Quiton mother ****ing Ganther, and the Rock rushing the ball.

This year we have Shanahan calling the plays, an improved offensive line (greatly improved if Silverback can be a true LT), a deep threat with McNabb's arm which he's shown he can accomplish with virtually anybody, withClinton Portis and Larry Johnson taking splits.

And we're supposed to drop 3 spots? I'm not quite as optimistic as some, but I see a much more hopeful path laid for RB's on the Redskins this year than these rankings would suggest.

Random thought: when Brandon Jacobs was averaging something less than 3.5 earlier last season, didn't he say that he'd retire if his average wasn't over 4.0 by the end of the season? Cause he finished at 3.7 (per espn.com) haha

:ols: I remember that! Or did he say that if he didn't finish above 3.5 he'd retire? I don't remember...

-give me CJ and Ringer (and possibly Stafon) over AP and Gerhart anyday.

-is MJD that good to place the Jaguars at spot #6, because Rashad barely get any carries and when he do he gets nothing.

-Broncos are obviously too high and the Dolphins being placed at spot #14 does it for me(should at the least be top 3)

this list is a joke...

:ols: I remember that! Or did he say that if he didn't finish above 3.5 he'd retire? I don't remember...

Oh yea it might've been that if he just didn't improve his stats. But still, getting to 3.7 isn't much to brag about... haha. When you're built like that guy you should be able to jump forward and fall down for 4 yards

Archived