Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FNN - Pierce: “Coughlin is on the hot seat”

HapHaszard

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/pierce-coughlin-is-on-the-hot-seat/

By Chuck Carroll

Football News Now Staff Writer

Tom Coughlin could be on the hot seat in 2010 according to former New York Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce.

The team is under fire from owner John Mara after a rocky 8-8 campaign in 2009.

“He’s on the hot seat,” Pierce told the NFL Network, per Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com. “I think everybody in the organization is on the hot seat. You are talking about a team three years removed from the Super Bowl. There are some fires lit underneath people’s butts now in that locker room and in that organization. Everybody is on high alert. It is going to be a very interesting 2010 season.”

Coughlin has been a figure of controversy since taking the reigns in 2004. There was a lot of backlash from players regarding his very strict and disciplined coaching style.

However, those concerns seemed to fall by the wayside once the veteran NFL coach began delivering results.

In 2009 they resurfaced during the tumultuous season where the team finished in 3rd place in the NFC East‐equaling Coughlin’s worst record with the Giants set in 2006.

According to Pierce, the team never recovered from the season-ending injuries to himself and safety Kenny Phillips as well as the blow up between Osi Umenyiora and former defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan.

“That, I think, trickled down to the rest of our season,” Pierce said. “That’s still on everybody’s mind because everybody remembered that. Osi walking out of the team meeting. And he left the building. He came back and apologized and we moved on. We went 5-0 after that but it had an effect.”

But when the coaches decided to bench Umenyiora later in the season, more negativity took hold of the team.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

I don't know about the real "hot seat," I think even if the Giants go 7-9 or 8-8 this year he'll keep his job. I think it's pretty reasonable for the Giants to compete for the NFC East crown.

But it seems like there are a lot of combustible elements going on there right now. The defense isn't the unit it was under Spags, Brandon Jacobs went from a loudmouth brusing RB to just a loudmouth last year, they didn't seem to be the smashmouth running team they're supposed to be, and that o-line is set to get old in a hurry.

And under that brutal New York media spotlight, all eyes will be on the stories about Coughlin and his hard rules and coaching tactics, whether it's fair or not. Someone's going to need to be the scapegoat.

I remember Toomer was on one of the NFL Sirius Radio shows a couple months ago, and he made a comment like, "The current New York Giants roster is long on talent, but short on heart."

I think that quote about sums it up.

Its not brain surgery to realize that a very strict coach who's short on social skills will have the team behind him when they're winning, and conversely, have trouble in the locker room when the team's losing. Everyone accepts an ******* if he wins. No one sees the need for him when he loses.

Its not brain surgery to realize that a very strict coach who's short on social skills will have the team behind him when they're winning, and conversely, have trouble in the locker room when the team's losing. Everyone accepts an ******* if he wins. No one sees the need for him when he loses.

May want to edit your post for the cursing, or the mods might get ya.:(

Well Jerome Bettis predicted that he is keeping the seat warm for Bill Cowher. Thing about it is Bettis also predicted other true things about Cowher. I think Coughlin contract is going to expire soon and I think that will be when he calls it quits and Cowher comes to the NFC East.

I said this on PFT and I will say it here.

Pierce went from a dbag who used an airhorn because he didnt want to talk to the media to now going to the media and running his mouth about stuff he most likely has NO clue about.

dude is a punk...straight up. I hope he never plays another down in the NFL.

Archived