Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College student: Do not use amazon.com text book buyback

adam@section118

I recently submitted 4 books for trade in, and I had them in 2 separate boxes. One of the boxes was returned to me, and it had a stamp on it saying I needed more postage. This was very confusing to me as one of the big perks, and one of the reasons I choose to use the amazon trade in program, is because of the free shipping to amazon.com in NH.

I went to the post office and my item weighed 2.1 lbs, and the shipping label was supposed to accept up to 8 lbs. All the guy at the post office could say was "perhaps amazon is having problems, but if you want to ship this you will have to pay the $9 out of pocket." I have created another trade in and hope it goes through, but I still have not received confirmation that my first box was received by amazon.

I called amazon and they told me to print out a new slip, and that again I would not have to pay shipping. I did this, and I still got the letter back. In hindsight I should have taken the letter inside the post office and had it weighed.

After going to the post office for the third time (this time I went inside and got it weighed from a USPS employee) I got help from a gentleman who has dealt with this in the past. He noted that my box said it was good up to 2.1 lbs, meaning amazon would cover shipping up to 3.1 lbs. My package, however, weighed 4.0 lbs. He said he has had a number of people come in frustrated not understanding why they would have to pay for the "free shipping" that amazon covered, only to realize amazon only covered a small portion of this cost.

I would have made $25 (in a amazon gift card) but it seems silly to say $9 out of pocket, and hope amazon takes these books back.

Amazon.com used to take care of their customers. I am not sure what happened.....

Maybe it's just me, but your font looks really large and bold. Hurts a little bit to read.

I always ordered my textbooks off of Amazon. And then I'd usually sell the ones that I could back to FSU's bookstore at the end of the semester. I still lost money in the whole process, but it was a lot less money compared to buying the books at full price from the bookstore to begin with.

College textbooks are, without a doubt, one of the biggest scams going today.

Maybe it's just me, but your font looks really large and bold. Hurts a little bit to read.

I always ordered my textbooks off of Amazon. And then I'd usually sell the ones that I could back to FSU's bookstore at the end of the semester. I still lost money in the whole process, but it was a lot less money compared to buying the books at full price from the bookstore to begin with.

College textbooks are, without a doubt, one of the biggest scams going today.

Sorry about the font. Not sure why it came out like that.

I would have used your method, but our bookstore only buys books back if you bought them from out book store.

You are correct about them being a scam.

I would have used your method, but our bookstore only buys books back if you bought them from out book store.

You are correct about them being a scam.

Really?

That's a rip off as well.

The worst is when you can't re-sell a book because they have a "new edition" coming out for the next semester, going from Edition 8.1 to 8.2, which basically means that all they did was cut out a couple passages and added a few charts and graphs. But that's tough luck for you, with your now obsolete old edition of the textbook.

One time, when I was at USF my freshmen year, I had to pay 150 dollars for a math book/CD tutorial set. The "CD" was to install a program to allow me to do online weekly quizzes for my class, and the "book" was a 10 page pamphlet on how to retrieve my activation ID number for my class and troubleshoot the program if I had any issues. Once I installed the program and had it set up, there was nothing left to do with the CD and book. 150 dollars for that. Unreal.

I remember I used to sell my texts directly to students who were going to take that class the next semester. We had an underground seller's market. Both groups were happy though it did require a little more time and effort.

When I was at UMBC, they would only accept books that they still sold, but in my last year, they ended up having a second buy-back area which would have accepted any textbooks, even ones that were a bit out of date. It was great because I got back $500 from purging most of my texts at that time (from multiple semesters). It was very satisfying walking away from the bookstore and having $500 in crisp bills that THEY gave ME, instead of the other way around.

Archived