Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#55 chris hanburger- hall of fame worthy! (MET)

greekathens

Well, he and Len Hauss were both 9 time pro bowl selections for the Redskins. Both were drafted by the team in the 1960's and were career Redskins.

What really hurts these guys is that 1972 loss to the Dolphins.

If the Redskins had won that game and prevented Miami from going 17-0 they would probably be in already.

Given how difficult it was for Harry Carson to make it in to the Hall with all the NY media support behind him, getting #55 in will take a long term campaign.

Although given that he retired in 1977 I don't know why the veteran's committee hasn't even considered him as a candidate up to now.

I was digging through some old stuff at my parents' house last month and came across a black and white Washington Redskins team photograph from the mid-1960s, taken on the Mall in front of the Capitol. And it was signed "Chris Hanburger #55."

It's now matted and framed up on the wall.

Our GREATEST redskin ever!

Some intolerably humble, mild mannered guy out of North Carolina who knows a thing or two about coaching holds that distinction; but Hanburger sure is up there amongst our greats.

One mean ass SOB for someone so undersized, one of the best LB's of all time. Imagine what his sack total would of been if they'd been officially recorded through his time?

Absolutely criminal he wasn't inducted a LONG time ago into the Hall. The fact he's never been nominated beggars belief. It's the Hogs scenario all over.

We're real quick to stoop to the school yard name calling of "haters" on here when someone takes an opposing view; when the real Redskin "haters" are out there. And there's many of them.

Hail.

CHECK OUT THE INTERVIEW ON REDSKINS NATION

I don't usually watch the show (not a Larry Michael fan), but Hanburger is definitely an engaging interview.

On a side note, does anybody else think it sounds like Larry's calling him "Hamburger?" It really sounds to me like he mispronouncing the guy's name. Maybe I'm just trying to find fault because I don't like him.

When Sammy Baugh indicated in an interview back in the 1980's that he was a Dallas Cowboys fan and had been since the 1960's, I wrote him off. Yes, he was a great player for his era and deserves to be in the Hall, but I don't look at him any longer as the face of the franchise historically.

When Sammy Baugh indicated in an interview back in the 1980's that he was a Dallas Cowboys fan and had been since the 1960's, I wrote him off. Yes, he was a great player for his era and deserves to be in the Hall, but I don't look at him any longer as the face of the franchise historically.

I had no idea that he was a turd fan. That's disgusting and really does effect my opinion of him.

I know he's from Texas and all but still....

I had no idea that he was a turd fan. That's disgusting and really does effect my opinion of him.

I know he's from Texas and all but still....

I can't go that far in my condemnation of arguably our greatest ever player, and one of the greatest players the games ever seen; but that sure is a "what the Hell? SERIOUSLY?" moment.

If he'd been a bit part player with a short career here, you could fully appreciate him never losing his love for the 'Girls. Or had he come to us as a life long fan of them, and we'd "cured" him of the affliction :silly: and turned him into a 'Skin by association over his years service here that would be a common story.

But to reveal, if that's accurate, that he didn't become a fan of our ultimate enemy until years after a stellar 15 year career here is well out there and totally unexpected reading.

Interesting.

Hail.

I'm glad you created this thread. Too often fans, me included, focus on the Gibbs era Redskins and debate who should be in The Hall of Fame and we forget that there are many guys who deserve it who have been waiting SINCE the Gibbs years to have their name called.

No question Chris Hanburger deserves an organized campaign to get him in just like Monk had. I don't remember watching Chris play, but his resume speaks volumes. He should have been the "next" Redskin to get in since the 80s.

I got a full Redskins Uniform for Christmas when I was 5 years old, and guess whose jersey it was? That's right, #55 himself. He immediately became my first favorite Redskin so I would watch for him during every game. It just seemed that he was always around the ball making plays.

Long overdue for the HOF. Hopefully he'll get in via the seniors committee one of tese days.

bulldog - Do you have a link to that interview? I searched and could not find it.

:helmet:The Rook

Archived