Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Clinton acted as White House intermediary on Sestak offer

DixieFlatline

Surprised this wasn't up already.

I don't think this is the end of the story. The WH is interpreting that an unpaid job offer doesn't fall into the category of offering something of value for a political move. Many are going to say if this was so cut and dry, why did it take them months to come up with this explanation and does this have anything to do with Clinton eating lunch with Obama on Thursday?

We'll see what happens after Sestak responds.

(CNN) - Administration officials engaged in no improper conduct as part of alleged efforts to dissuade Pennsylvania Rep. Joe Sestak from launching a primary challenge against Sen. Arlen Specter, White House Legal Counsel Robert Bauer asserted Friday in publicly-released memorandum.

According to Bauer, Sestak was offered a high-level but unpaid position. Sestak turned the offer down, and ended up scoring an upset victory over Specter in last week's Pennsylvania primary. The White House was instrumental in last year's switch by Specter from the GOP to the Democratic party. It backed him in his bid for a sixth term in the Senate, and was eager to clear the field of any primary opponents.

"I'll have something for you later," Sestak told CNN Friday, as he walked to the House chamber for a vote.

A White House source also told CNN's John King, "Bill Clinton did talk to Sestak at the urging of Rahm, to discuss executive branch service based on the assumption he would stay in the House.".....

clink link for rest of article

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/28/clinton-acted-as-white-house-intermediary-on-sestak-offer/?fbid=Rn-mVKBhH2A#more-106240&hpt=T2

"I can assure the public that nothing improper took place," the President said toward the end of his hour-long news conference.

But Obama refused to give any more details.

huh?

Obama can assure us...but he's not going to assure us yet. Sestak will explain what happened...but he's not going to do that yet.

This is just weird. If nothing bad happened they're shooting themselves in the foot with all this cloak and dagger stuff. :shutup:

Well, aparently there's no need for an investigation, since it appears he's convicted already

~Bang

Who? Clinton? Sestak? or someone in the Obama administration?

Who should handle this "investigation" that you are looking for? And then the subsequent "trial" to determine if a "conviction" is warranted?

Perhaps the 513th outraged FoxNews attack on Obama is finally going to be one with real teeth. :whoknows:

You are so above this. :ols:

*edit* I guess you missed David Gregory grilling Sestak on Meet the Press this week. That conservative bastion, NBC, parent network of the conservative sanctuary known as MSNBC, must be in on it too!

You are so above this. :ols:

I dunno. I think I might have become jaded by Fox's hysterical outrage over Flag Lapel Pin-gate, and Obama Speech to Our Schoolchildren-gate, and President Bowed to a Foreigner-gate, and Death Panel-gate, and Czar-gate, and Apology-gate, and Obama Ogles Underaged Girl at Diplomatic Meeting-gate, and FBI Labelling Conservatives Terrorists-gate, and Tennesse Flood-gate, and Birth Certifi-gate, and Stimulus Gives a Trillion Dollars to Acorn-gate, and Chrysler Dealership Closings-gate, and Obama Quadrupled the Deficit-gate, and Pelosi Airplane-gate, and Kevin Jennings Nambla-gate, and and Fairness Doctrine-gate, and FEMA Internment Camp-gate, and now Oil Spill-gate.

I think I've started to get numb to the outrage. Maybe it's just me.

It's a silly defense. If they think it was wrong to offer him a gig then it was wrong. Now, if you wanted to say that this was in process and he was under consideration long before the campaign started and the timing was awkward... I could rent that (I don't know that I'd buy), if you wanted to say that this was exploratory and just part of the vetting that goes on and a thousand people were interviewed and Sestak was never actually "offered" a job, but was just under consideration... I think I'd swallow it... it might not even be a tough chew, but the line well it was a nonpaying job almost sounds like an admission of "Whoops! We got caught doing something wrong..."

On the most general level, I think this is as old as politics and this practice predates Hamurabi. I'm not alarmed by it and I don't think most are... I think that they can just make hay. The question I have is... Why is everyone so obsessed with dried grass when almost no one owns a horse anymore?

It's not just you.

The Network Who Cried Wolf has desensitized just about everyone to this stuff.

A prominent Democrat could get caught red-handed in bed with another man (even though that's more priest-and-Republican territory), and a huge number of folks' first reactions would be a yawning, "Yeah, but Fox News said it, so whatever..." ...Regardless of who actually said it, and regardless of how legitimate it might actually be. That's an unfortunate reaction, but that's what Fox News foments with what Jon Stewart very accurately describes as their Perpetual Emotion Machine. In the process of trying to manufacture astroturf and mockrage, they produce massive amounts of that toxic byproduct known as fatigue.

Fox News is pretty self-defeating in a couple of ways. First, they bury any real controversy like this Sestak stuff beneath a colossal slew of fake controversy, leading massive numbers of reasonable folks to discount anything they say out of hand -- even if many networks report it. Second, the fake controversy they manufacture is so grandiose that it makes awarding-jobs-for-quitting scenarios look mundane. Making actual ethical breaches look boring is a terrible way to draw attention to them.

Good thing Rupert Murdoch isn't an elected American politician (or even an American, for that matter). Otherwise, his own awarding-jobs-for-quitting situation with Sarah Palin might just raise a few ethical eyebrows too. ;)

Maybe we're all just accustomed to the massive, overarching nature of the Bush Jr. administration's ethical breaches. The fake case for war in Iraq, packing the Justice Department with political appointees, Cheney trying to dodge accountability under any branch of government, pretending that torture is an American value, and the list goes on and on. That doesn't discount the importance of keeping this more recent sort of crap out of politics. But compared with what we've weathered over the past 10 years or so, this feels like comparatively small potatoes. It's that dadgum fatigue again.

Embarrass the guys, brush them back from even thinking about it again, and move on.

Why is everyone so obsessed with dried grass when almost no one owns a horse anymore?

Some people just love to start fires.

So don't address the FOX story on this. Address NBC's. Or.....you can pretend FOX is making this up.

I'll brush the sand out of your hair when you come up for air. :pfft:

I actually did already say that they were not handling it well. And I didn't say Fox was making it all up, I said Fox was pushing the outrage. Last night, I spun the dial through Hannity's show, and he and Ann Coulter were discussing how this was an incredible violation of law, how the White House was stonewalling, and how this might well bring down the whole Administration. It was very Fair and Balanced. Neal Cavuto and Andrew Napolitano and Karl Rove and Dick Morris all agree, on their various appearances on Fox.

Thing is, as far as I can tell, Fox appears to have the only people saying this. The best political law expert I know of is Larry Sabato of the University of Virginia. He says the whole Sestak thing is nothing at all, typical politicla horestrading that has been going on since the founding of the Republic. So does the director of ethics for the Bush White House, Richard Painter. So does every legal/political ethics expert I have seen that is not employed by Fox.

I predict that this is all going to blow over, and join the long list of Fox false outrages. But we shall see. :whoknows:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201005280054

Why do liberals watch so much fox news??

I am conservative and watch maybe 5 minutes a week and I guarantee u I don't watch a second of msnbc..

Libs have odd obsessions with the opposition... Like the tea party... Libs go to bed with hard ons thinking about the teapartiers...

I think everyone is vaguely aware of Fox News, regardless of how much they expose themselves to it.

Kind of like everyone is vaguely aware of herpes -- even those of us who take precautions to avoid it.

I really only watch it when I go to the gym and it's on one of the tvs. In fact, I don't watch any cable tv. Don't even have it. So, except for at the gym, and what I'm exposed to here. I don't see it.

That said...

FOX is like discovering a painful growth... Sure, you can ignore it and be fine for a while, but it tends to get bigger and bigger and you find yourself weaker and disoriented by all the seeming irrationality going on around you. To ignore propaganda is to be a victim of hate.

So, I read the Post article on this.

Apparently, according to all, the "job" was a position on an unpaid gig advisory committee. That's a nice thing to put on your resume and to help you network, but that's really nothing. Do you know how many advisory committees there are in DC and how many people are asked to be on one. Ya give an hour a year and spout off your opinion on something your supposedly an expert in (some can be more taxing).

This really seems to be a lot of ado about nothing. If this is really all it is, I don't think it even qualifies as a job offer.

I am conservative and watch maybe 5 minutes a week and I guarantee u I don't watch a second of msnbc..

Libs have odd obsessions with the opposition... Like the tea party... Libs go to bed with hard ons thinking about the teapartiers...

I think you don't see the forest for the trees.

Without trying to turn this into the usual Fox vs the world shouting match, they bend and distort the truth so much that they should be monitored.

Same reason so many conservatives apparently watch Olbermann and Michael Moore.

It's a responsibity of freedom to monitor propagandists. Propaganda unchecked can be VERY dangerous, as history shows, especially when so many just believe every word that comes out of their mouths as if it were gospel.

~Bang

I dunno. I think I might have become jaded by Fox's hysterical outrage over Flag Lapel Pin-gate, and Obama Speech to Our Schoolchildren-gate, and President Bowed to a Foreigner-gate, and Death Panel-gate, and Czar-gate, and Apology-gate, and Obama Ogles Underaged Girl at Diplomatic Meeting-gate, and FBI Labelling Conservatives Terrorists-gate, and Tennesse Flood-gate, and Birth Certifi-gate, and Stimulus Gives a Trillion Dollars to Acorn-gate, and Chrysler Dealership Closings-gate, and Obama Quadrupled the Deficit-gate, and Pelosi Airplane-gate, and Kevin Jennings Nambla-gate, and and Fairness Doctrine-gate, and FEMA Internment Camp-gate, and now Oil Spill-gate.

Maybe you would accept the simplest explanation: your man sucks as a President and he just doesn't give a rat's....

So, I read the Post article on this.

Apparently, according to all, the "job" was a position on an unpaid gig advisory committee. That's a nice thing to put on your resume and to help you network, but that's really nothing. Do you know how many advisory committees there are in DC and how many people are asked to be on one. Ya give an hour a year and spout off your opinion on something your supposedly an expert in (some can be more taxing).

This really seems to be a lot of ado about nothing. If this is really all it is, I don't think it even qualifies as a job offer.

You are the only one who believes the white house would offer someone nothing of value to drop out of a race.

Archived