Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update/Expectations for Trent Williams

Ive been reading all the OTA updates and appreciated them but has anyone heard much about how he is performing?

I remember the first day they said he didnt get out of his stance when the ball was snapped...

Also what does everyone think would be a successful season for him?

How many starts and how many sacks allowed?

Ive been reading all the OTA updates and appreciated them but has anyone heard much about how he is performing?

I remember the first day they said he didnt get out of his stance when the ball was snapped...

As for the updates, I haven't heard much. That might be the best news we can get when discussing a young offensive linemen.

As for a successful season, it's so hard to measure how well a lineman is playing in terms of statistics. Obviously, we'd prefer 16 starts and 0 sacks allowed, but that can be misleading. Trent Williams might whiff a block forcing McNabb out of the pocket or a running back might miss a chip block when helping Trent out.

I would just like to see him play consistently well and help provide McNabb with some good time to throw. As long as the OL as a unit is playing well, I couldn't care less about how they do individually. The less we hear about Trent as the season progresses, the better because that means he's playing solid.

You may want to change your thread title to something like, "Any update on Trent Williams?" or "How is Trent Williams doing now?"

Non-descriptive thread titles are looked down upon pretty heavily, especially recently.

It's a good question, though. I guess that the less that we hear, the better? Samuels said that he looked really good a couple of weeks ago, but I doubt that Chris Samuels would say anything different.

Just to have him starting day one, and last the season whilst showing improvement as he goes would more than fulfil my hopes for him.

There's naturally gona' be the downs and bad mistakes as he adjusts to the pro game, and pro life in general; but if he lasts in there and looks better and way more comfortable come the end of the year I'll be more than happy that the pick was a good one to set us up going forward.

Hail.

19 starts with 0 sacks allowed while being showered with confetti and touching the Lombardi.

16 Starts (barring injury, he's our starting LT come September 12) and conservatively, 5 sacks allowed. I'd love to see him not allow one, but seriously, I'd consider it a success if he allows 5 or less.

19 starts with 0 sacks allowed while being showered with confetti and touching the Lombardi.

No way we win the division.

20 starts with 0 sacks allowed while being showered with confetti and touching the Lombardi is more reasonable.

Right now I don't have any expectations and will just go with the flow. What I do know is that he will get pretty good very fast. He will be going up against Rak and Co. in practice and will be forced to learn a lot very quickly, if only as a matter of survival.

It has happened before.

Yeah, but the way he worded it made it sound like we're not good enough to winthe division, but are good enough to win the SB. If you win the super bowl, you're good enough to win the division, just had a couple bad breaks.

And we could win the division and still play 20 games. Just wouldn't get the bye week...

He should start every game. I think he was drafted more as a run-blocker than pass protector, so judging our YPC may be a better benchmark. Sacks allowed should work though too I guess. GL to the young fella going up against one of Tuck/Ware/Cole 6x per year.

I don't think they are even wearing pads yet...way too early to draw any sort of conclusions.

True.

All the OL can do right now is get in shape for the season, practice thier stance (and getting out of it :) ), and work on their footwork.

I don't think the OL and DL are allowed to block and run into each other right now.

True.

All the OL can do right now is get in shape for the season, practice thier stance (and getting out of it :) ), and work on their footwork.

I don't think the OL and DL are allowed to block and run into each other right now.

They did something like that, otherwise how would Trent have "still been in his stance when the ball was snapped" as the defense flew by him?

Just sayin.

Samuels said that he looked really good a couple of weeks ago, but I doubt that Chris Samuels would say anything different.

I don't think Samuels would say the guy is terrible, but I don't think he would offer that kind of praise if he wasn't impressed by what he's seen so far. There are a lot more politically correct things to say. I also get the feeling that Shanahan is impressed with him.

Hopefully, he gets into camp on time and continues to impress once the pads are on.

They did something like that, otherwise how would Trent have "still been in his stance when the ball was snapped" as the defense flew by him?

Just sayin.

Simple.

Th OL and DL were just going through the motions.

The OL get in their stance, then back out of it when the ball is hiked. The DL run around them, into the backfield, to finish off "the play".

However, no one touches each other. Keep in mind, they are wearing no pads. You really think they are going to be blocking and ripping into each other with no pads on?

That stuff will come later.

Simple.

Th OL and DL were just going through the motions.

The OL get in their stance, then back out of it when the ball is hiked. The DL run around them, into the backfield, to finish off "the play".

However, no one touches each other. Keep in mind, they are wearing no pads. You really think they are going to be blocking and ripping into each other with no pads on?

That stuff will come later.

I misunderstood your earlier post then. I thought you meant they hadn't had any interaction. I was thinking they did the exact thing you posted above, but took your "no contact" to mean no interaction. My bad.

I did see this on wednesday.

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2010/05/26/observations-and-notes-from-todays-redskins-ota/

**LT Trent Williams adjusted really nicely during one pass play against OLB Brian Orakpo. Orakpo began his rush by faking two steps inside, which Williams covered. Orakpo then bowed his rush outside. Williams kept a solid base, didn’t reach for Orakpo and ultimately sustained the block. His heralded athleticism and footwork was on full display.

which is an upgrade from this, which was posted one week prior:

Rookie LT Trent Williams again showed his athleticism and he has a long reach, which he used to his advantge. But the learning curve is evident when facing a guy like Brian Orakpo. Can't judge Williams yet, but Orakpo would set him up by stepping inside and then going wide. Williams was good at driving his man

out on some run blocks, but did have some troubles, too, against Rob Jackson

Archived