Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Outside faucet leaking, Help! (updated with a new issue)

Capt. Kaos

Well, it's about time to top off the pool and get things in operating order. This is where my first issue of the summer is coming up so I turn to the motley crew that I trust the most (lucky you)......

My outside faucet is at or just below floor level of my kitchen when I hook a hose up and turn the water on I get a mess to clean up in the kitchen. Any ideas as to what the problem is and if it's an easy fix? How do I begin to diagnose the issue?

As always, Thanks!!

Update:

Seems the issue has been diagnosed.

The problem now, I can't locate the pipes in the house. I searched the crawl space and under the sink. Could they be under the cabinets, behind the kick board?!

We seem to have alot of PVC with compression fittings so I want to be sure I need to call a plumber before I drop that kind of cash.

Sounds like a seal in the pipe junction is probably it. Get down in the crawl space or basement and I bet you see it. Unless you know how to patch pipe, it's probably best to call a pro.

When it comes to water leaking, the potential for damage is pretty large if you don't know what you're doing.

~Bang

My guess for what its worth is that is a frost free faucet that needs replaced because the pipe is split after the shut off valve I had the same problem.

Bingo! The hose bib extends about 6"-12" inside the wall. The valve is that far away from the outside spigot so the 6"-12" of pipe has no water in it. This is where the leak is as it leaks after you open the valve. You need a plumber (likely) to get into your crawl space to remove and replace the hose bib. It's likely that it's sodered to a rigid copper line, but these hose bibs do have a threaded connection and there could be a threaded compression fitting (in the crawl space) that you could unhook yourself, but I doubt it.

Budget $150-$200 for the plumber.

It should be right behind the wall. About the first 12 inches of the pipe attached to the faucet is where your problem is.Find in your crawl space where the pipe comes in then have someone outside crack open the faucet you will find it in a hurry. P.S next winter unhook your hose so no water gets trapped and freezes.

P.S next winter unhook your hose so no water gets trapped and freezes.

There should be a cutoff valve for the pipe that goes outside somewhere (and probably blue in color) yea turn that off, unhook the hose...then open the faucet outside and let the water still in the line drain out (which usually isn't a lot of water at all)

Archived