Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Jerry Jones calls reverse for Barber

HapHaszard

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/14326/jerry-jones-calls-reverse-for-barber

As I've often said, if you give Jerry Jones enough time in front of a camera or tape recorder, he'll eventually contradict himself. But in the curious case of the Marion Barber-Felix Jones discussion, the Cowboys owner waited a couple of months to change course. Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com has all the details. Apparently Barber's done something during five OTA sessions to catch Jerry's razor-sharp scouting eye.

"I know this: He looks quicker," Jones said of Barber on Tuesday. "I think that is going to make him even more effective. He's just in great shape. He looks as good out here just in these initial practices as I've seen him look in his career. You could easily go from there and look at what his role might be, and it'd certainly be on par with anything he's done."

To translate Jerryspeak, he apparently means the Cowboys will stick with a Barber-Jones-Tashard Choice rotation at running back. In March, I listened to Jones talk about how the team was having discussions about changing up the order. The way Felix finished the season, it seemed like a no-brainer that he would take over as the starter and lead back. Here's what I wrote immediately after talking to Jerry two months ago at the owners meetings in Orlando:

Will the Cowboys consider making Felix Jones the starting running back? In an answer to that exact question, Jones said, "Yes. That has been a consideration."

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

Jerry Jones talks.

Seriously, I bet he says stuff just like this all day long. If you've got some free time and a microphone, you too can be a journalist. How is this a story? This would be like Bruce Allen or Dan Snyder saying that Portis looks good in minicamp.

Here's another angle, I bet Garrett sets the offensive depth chart. He's the OC and a the head coach in waiting, right? Does Garrett say that Barber will or won't start? We don't know, because he's not bumping his gums 24/7, or at least no one's pretending its news if he is.

PS, Matt Mosley sucks.

Archived