Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BP: Live Link To The Oil Spill

McD5

So we won't know tonight?

Because it looks like to me there is still lots of oil pouring out.

From what I hear it is the drilling fluid you see,but It does not look like the concrete will go in tonight(or at least not in a few hrs)

It has reversed flow,just got to keep the pressure on and we got plenty of mud and pump power if nothing blows.

So what are the plumes we are seeing now?

supposedly drilling fluid ,remember it is open ended and it is only the restriction in the Bop and riser than enables enough pressure while it goes in both directions

you will see the visibility worsen as the mud particles start to settle,the oil would not do so

To my totally naive and unpracticed eye, that looks bad...even worse than before. I hope it's only temporary, or that it's mostly the mud. But that **** is shooting up faster and more forcefully than any time I've seen it before.

Edit: twa, thanks for the post above. I'll ratchet down my panic.

To my totally naive and unpracticed eye, that looks bad...even worse than before. I hope it's only temporary, or that it's mostly the mud. But that **** is shooting up faster and more forcefully than any time I've seen it before.

Edit: twa, thanks for the post above. I'll ratchet down my panic.

Just remember you must increase the pressure greatly to overwhelm the flow,doing so greatly increases the visible discharge(most certainly right above the bop)

No problems that I know of other than less than desired restriction in the riser/bop...I would expect a junkshot once they build a decent cap in the well,though they may just go with cement

added

from what numbers they released they are pumping at less than half of their capabilities(playing it safe) which increases the timeframe over what I prefer

Still looking good, morning might be pleasant.

I'm not seeing anything settle...:whoknows:

What a mess.

?

As long as oil isn't pumping out like that, that's a good thing.

That mud that you see is a mud designed for oil wells, so I'm guessing they know how to use it. Of course a mile down may be a little different.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/7769516/BP-says-top-kill-of-Gulf-of-Mexico-oil-rig-going-to-plan.html

BP says top kill of Gulf of Mexico oil rig 'going to plan'

BP has said that efforts to plug the ruptured Gulf of Mexico oil rig were going to plan and that it appeared that drilling mud, not oil, was gushing from the well six hours after the "top kill" operation began.

"What you've been observing coming out of the top of that riser is most likely mud," Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer, said at a news conference broadcast from a Louisiana command centre. "We can't fully confirm that because we can't sample it. And the way we know we've been successful is it stops flowing."

Residents along the Gulf Coast have been watching video of the leaking well since the "top kill" began about 1pm CDT (1800 GMT). The effort involves pumping tons of heavy drilling mud down the well bore to overcome the oil and gas flowing out. The mud is twice the weight of water, and it is hoped it will sink into the well to stop the massive flow of oil.

Mr Suttles and US Coast Guard Admiral Mary Landry said they were cautiously optimistic about the effort to stop the leak that began with a drilling rig explosion April 20. The leak threatens the ecology of the US Gulf of Mexico and the economies of four US states.

"We've all been here a long time and been trying a lot of things and ridden a roller coaster," Mr Suttles told reporters in Robert, Louisiana. "I think we just need to take the next 24 hours and see what the results are."

The goal is to halt the flow of oil long enough so cement can be pumped in to shut it off.

The mud, a substance specially created for the oil drilling industry and used in all wells drilled, is being pumped in by 30,000 horsepower compressors.

"Ultimately, what we need to see is that the well can't flow to surface," Mr Suttles said. "That will be the way we know it's successful."

The mile-deep underwater gusher began flowing after the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded on April 20, claiming the lives of 11 workers.

Well we probably would have, by now, if we hadn't had an Oil man in the WH for 8 years.

That 'oilman' expanded funding and research efforts for alt energy more than any other president.

Rather similar to the efforts down here in oil country where we have nuclear,wind,biofuel and co generation/ production in place.

but go on talking out your ass :evilg:

And a tuppence is more than a penny (I guess you'd say a dime is more than a nickel).

I'd be interested to see actually how much was spent, especially compared to Europe and the Far East.

We were ahead of China in spending until 2009.

lmao, blame this on Bush eh?

Weak man, weak, you know very well he's not blaming the oil spill on Bush come on already, it's one thing the be argumentative, it's another to completely fabricate an argument.

We were ahead of China in spending until 2009.

So what you're saying is the US needs to be spending more like China? Gee, and here all this time I thought the Conservatives wanted smaller gov't and less spending. Silly me. :silly:

Progress continues...looking good, though slower than I like.

keep ya fingers crossed

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-oil-spill-top-kill-20100528,0,5782115.story

Engineers have stopped the flow of oil and gas into the Gulf of Mexico from a gushing BP well, the federal government's top oil-spill commander, U.S. Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, said Thursday morning.

The "top kill" effort, launched Wednesday afternoon by industry and government engineers, had pumped enough drilling fluid to block oil and gas spewing from the well, Allen said. The pressure from the well was very low, he said, but persisting.

Once engineers had reduced the well pressure to zero, they were to begin pumping cement into the hole to entomb the well. To help in that effort, he said, engineers also were pumping some debris into the blowout preventer at the top of the well.

Progress continues...looking good, though slower than I like.

keep ya fingers crossed

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-oil-spill-top-kill-20100528,0,5782115.story

Engineers have stopped the flow of oil and gas into the Gulf of Mexico from a gushing BP well, the federal government's top oil-spill commander, U.S. Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, said Thursday morning.

The "top kill" effort, launched Wednesday afternoon by industry and government engineers, had pumped enough drilling fluid to block oil and gas spewing from the well, Allen said. The pressure from the well was very low, he said, but persisting.

Once engineers had reduced the well pressure to zero, they were to begin pumping cement into the hole to entomb the well. To help in that effort, he said, engineers also were pumping some debris into the blowout preventer at the top of the well.

Sounds like good news. Hopefully they can seal it with cement before it blows out again.

Its hard to believe its been going on for more than a month. Hopefully their latest idea will be the final one.

I would imagine they will continue the intercept well...but I guess that depends on the confidence and quantity of the cement job.

What they are filling is a pipe with a larger pipe(which is not really a permanent solution)

Excellent work,even if it seemed to take forever

http://bp.concerts.com/gom/rovs_24052010.htm

Get past this and we get to the nut twisting of assigning fault and cleaning this mess up :evilg:

Weak man, weak, you know very well he's not blaming the oil spill on Bush come on already, it's one thing the be argumentative, it's another to completely fabricate an argument.

So what you're saying is the US needs to be spending more like China? Gee, and here all this time I thought the Conservatives wanted smaller gov't and less spending. Silly me. :silly:

Following the chain of posts there.

I do think we should be spending more on alternative energies like China. Gov't spending on infrastructure and research/development are GREAT ways to spend money imo. It is hard to get massive grants through private funding for projects that may end up not making a cent. The more money the govt pumps in the better. NASA would be an example of that to me. Now, that being said, there is a major difference between purchasing a million dollar toilet through a noncompetition bid for the shuttle.

Oh, and who said I was a conservative?

More cool live footage.

Remote Operated Vehicles now trying to fix the problem:

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/homepage/STAGING/local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html

And another link, which has every single cam on it. Awesome if you have time to browse:

http://stockcapitalist.com/oceaneering-video-portal-live-bp-blowout-video-webcam/

The Viking Poseidon link 1 is especially active right now.

Archived