Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BP: Live Link To The Oil Spill

McD5

What I don't understand as I watch that feed is how the water around the leak stays so clear. It's been spewing like that for a month now, yet the sightline from the remote camera to the leak is clear - not murked up by the oil.

I would think that enough of the leaked oil would settle around the source of the leak and befoul the immediate area. I guess the oil tends to float up and not settle to the bottom.

What I don't understand as I watch that feed is how the water around the leak stays so clear. It's been spewing like that for a month now, yet the sightline from the remote camera to the leak is clear - not murked up by the oil.

I would think that enough of the leaked oil would settle around the source of the leak and befoul the immediate area. I guess the oil tends to float up and not settle to the bottom.

buoyancy, I learned about that in science!

- - -

why hasn't the gov't stepped in? because they can't constitutionally speaking perhaps?

In terms of both it won't even come close to being the worse all time. Unless you're talking from manmade disasters. Even then I don't know about that...

Well, they don't even know if they can fix it right now. They are trying some pretty unconvential tactics.

CNN just reported that as of right now, this is expected to cost tens of thousands of jobs in the area.

That's not great timing, with an already difficult job market.

The crazy thing, is that one whale goes nuts in Sea World, and the very next day PETA was protesting at the park, and flying banners from planes.

I guess there really isn't much that can be done here. I have heard some say they are going to ban filling up their cars with BP gas. But that probably won't even hurt them a single penny, as most Americans are in their own worlds.

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/homepage/STAGING/local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html

This is pretty wild footage. I can't believe that it is receiving so little attention.

And why isn't the government stepping in?

They must not know how to fix it either.

What is the government going to do?

This is the problem with America we think the government is the answer to everything and can solve everything. The fact of the matter is only BP can stop this and they are trying to stop it.

But as you can see, that is a big hole spewing a TON of oil, 5,000 feet under the sea. The pressure at that depth is insane. Not to mention the temerature is near freezing. We'll see how this plays out but you can't simply do soemthing for the sake of doing something. They have already tried a couple of things that haven't worked and they are going to attempt something that has never been accomplished under water before.

The fact is BP is going to have to answer alot of questions as to why they ignored the regulations fro as long as they did, but not now. Now they just need to stop the damn leak.

Titaw, I agree. This isn't a little problem.

From the link posted above:

Allowing the public to view this video could provide our best scientists and engineers with information that could be helpful in developing much-needed solutions to the ongoing oil spill," said Representative Ed Markey, a Massachusetts Democrat, who pushed BP to make the video available.

Translation: "No one has any idea how to fix it. Please give us suggestions."

So much for more off shore drilling. What a joke. And now people want the government to jump in an play superman. It kills me. Sarah Palin tallks about the governement doing more, then comp[lains when they do something that its to much. So let it flow. We deserve exactly what we get.

A robotic arm is messing around with something right now, but I dont see any oil spewing out in the current shot

They are doing the topkill NOW

Hope everything holds together

A robotic arm is messing around with something right now, but I dont see any oil spewing out in the current shot

It's pretty wild. It almost feels like we are watching something in space--like a shuttle repair mission.

Archived