Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: N. Korea Severs All Ties with Rival S. Korea

AsburySkinsFan

Ancient Chinese curse: "My you live in interesting times." Question: if they don't back down, who can step in? We have troops there, that means three active wars at once...good grief.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/25/AR2010052500416.html?hpid=topnews

North Korea announced Tuesday that it is severing all relations with South Korea as tensions soared on the Korean Peninsula.

The announcement was a tit-for-tat response to Seoul's imposition of sanctions on the North for sinking one of its warships.

North Korea said it will cut all communications with South Korea and would not resume any contact during the tenure of South Korean President Lee Myung-bak.

Lee announced tough trade measures against Pyongyang on Monday, including a ban on all imports and exports with the North and the closure of South Korean waters to ships from the North.

Last week, his government released the findings of an international investigation that blamed North Korea for firing a torpedo that sank Seoul's warship March 26, killing 46 sailors.

North Korea said Tuesday that it would forbid South Korean ships and aircraft from passing through its sea and airspace.

It also said that South Korean government officials would be expelled from the Kaesong industrial park, a North-South venture near the border between the two Koreas that has been a major source of hard-currency earnings for the impoverished government of Kim Jong Il.

It was not immediately clear from the announcement, which was carried by the official Korean Central News Agency, what would happen to the South Korean companies, which employ about 40,000 North Koreans in the industrial park.

"Now we officially state that we will embark on firm action to close all North and South relations, scrap the non-aggression agreement and abolish all cooperative businesses between the Koreas," said the statement, which was attributed to the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea.

As part of the freeze, the statement said North Korea would close a 39-year-old Red Cross liaison office at the Panmunjom border village and begin "a full-force counter-attack against the puppet regime's psychological warfare against North Korea."

South Korea had announced Monday that it would resume psychological warfare broadcasts to the North, including radio broadcasts, the use of loudspeakers along the border and the installation of large electronic billboards that flash messages across the border such as "Come to the South."

North Korea also said that it puts "all the responsibility" for the sinking of the South Korean warship Cheonan on the Seoul government.

South Korea and the Obama administration announced Monday they would initiate joint anti-submarine military exercises off the coast where the Cheonan sank.

Squashing North Korea would be of little difficulty for China or the US. It's South Korea that faces the real threat. They would get hit hard and fast at the out set of any war.

NK knows this and unless they've become suicidal this is more of their saber rattling. They know they can scare SK and they are trying to do that in an effort to make them back down. It might work.

My "pray for the best" philosophy wants to agree with you, but my "oh damn" meter got pegged when N.Korea sunk the S. Korean ship, that's a HUGE no no and is going more than just saber rattling. I mean usually they just toss a missile over S.Korea into the ocean but this time they struck at and sunk a S. Korean warship, this has more potential to get really ugly than anything I've seen on the peninsula in my lifetime.

Some people just have to be dicks.

I'll never understand why. The paranoia Li'l Kim feels is completely without foundation. Taking over his country means taking over his problems. He has nothing of value besides weaponry to offer anyone, and well, hey, we can make our own thank you.

~Bang

We haven't seen him in awhile, you think maybe this is about compensating for his present condition?
Kim Jong Il was in Beijing the other day on a diplomatic visit. By all accounts his health problems have vastly improved over the last 6 months

Don't worry, Madeleine Albright said Kim Jong Il is rational and I'm sure the giant American flag pin she wore when she met him will deter him from doing anything stupid or reckless.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?p=7542801#post7542801

On a more serious note, Il seems to be desperate to be acting this way. The deeds and words coming from the north are as crazy and reckless as anything I have ever seen from them. This *is* starting to get scary but unfortunately I don't think we can give an inch without inviting worse behavior.

This *is* starting to get scary but unfortunately I don't think we can give an inch without inviting worse behavior.

Exactly, NK just sunk an SK naval ship and killed almost 50 sailors, if they give NK an inch here what's next? Heck if they had done that to us, we'd already be dropping bombs on their heads.

China will put NK in its place if things get really heated over there. War on the Korean peninsula is pretty much the last thing Beijing wants, even if Chinese military leaders believe North Korea can win (and unlike the zealots in Pyongyang, the Chinese aren't nearly that blind). The economic upheaval that a new Korean War would cause would be a disaster for China, and the North gaining control of an utterly decimated South isn't beneficial in any significant way.

China will put NK in its place if things get really heated over there. War on the Korean peninsula is pretty much the last thing Beijing wants, even if Chinese military leaders believe North Korea can win (and unlike the zealots in Pyongyang, the Chinese aren't nearly that blind). The economic upheaval that a new Korean War would cause would be a disaster for China, and the North gaining control of an utterly decimated South isn't beneficial in any significant way.

Why do you think China would actually want NK to win? Seems like they'd benefit from the SK winning and bringing a superior economy and stability to China's border. That's a lot more people buying Chinese products and outsourcing work to Chinese factories. NK can't afford to buy anything and is a threat to spark a nuclear war at any minute.

Why do you think China would actually want NK to win? Seems like they'd benefit from the SK winning and bringing a superior economy and stability to China's border. That's a lot more people buying Chinese products and outsourcing work to Chinese factories. NK can't afford to buy anything and is a threat to spark a nuclear war at any minute.
historic alliance is the only real link the two countries have.

You know things are bad in NK if people are border jumping to China, a totalitarian state, in the name of seeking freedom. China doesn't exactly cooperate with NK on their border issues, which is an indication that the two countries are at odds with each other behind the scenes imo. There are other indicators as well, but this is the most visible and well known

China doesn't want US troops on its borders, and NK provides a strategic buffer.

I don't. I should have phrased that better. It was meant for the very unlikely possibility of China actually wanting the North to win.

Don't worry, Madeleine Albright said Kim Jong Il is rational and I'm sure the giant American flag pin she wore when she met him will deter him from doing anything stupid or reckless.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?p=7542801#post7542801

:ols:

Only other thing I'll add to this thread- you guys are acting like South Korea is helpless. Far from the reality. They are an economic superpower and more than capable militarily.

Only other thing I'll add to this thread- you guys are acting like South Korea is helpless. Far from the reality. They are an economic superpower and more than capable militarily.

Oh I don't doubt SK's ability to fight, I just know that if the 38th is crossed that the stuff is seriously going to hit the fan and we'll be in the thick of it, and with China still on the other side of the Yalu river...well shoot history does have a tendency to repeat itself, but I fear that another war would not be a good thing at all for our country on several fronts.

Oh, I think everybody agrees that if there were an actual war, NK would be done for in very short order. Only things really to watch out for are nukes, and the (slim) possibility that China would come to rescue NK.

Unfortunately, I also think that everybody agrees that if anybody starts to invade NK, NK is going to fire everything they've got at civilian targets in SK and Japan. That sort of thing can really ruin some major economies, in a matter of hours.

Unfortunately, I also think that everybody agrees that if anybody starts to invade NK, NK is going to fire everything they've got at civilian targets in SK and Japan. That sort of thing can really ruin some major economies, in a matter of hours.

No doubt, it's the moves of desperate men that scare me the most, because they are so unpredictable, and if Il feels that all is lost he might decide to go down swinging.

I remember visiting the DMZ as a kid like it was yesterday. I was 12. Told ahead of time even before getting on the bus to take the 2 hour trip... "no hand gestures. do not point at anything. do not make eye contact with any n. korean soldier"

I remember looking to my dad for reassurance, there was none :ols:

The ride up- the Korean countryside littered with tank traps and bunkers and camo netting. It really is a war zone.

We got to go into the little doublewide that straddles the border where they have meetings b/w north and south. So, as long as you stay in the building you can walk into north korea. (of course, the south koreans have to lock the door from the inside so you don't get grabbed and yanked out and taken hostage).

So, I can say I've been to north korea :cool:

I also remember the propoganda going nonstop from loudspeakers pointed in our direction at the northern side. Soldiers would tell us stories about the North Korean soldiers and the heckling they got from them beyond the fence- most of it surrounding "tour groups". North Korean soldiers shouting "where tour? tour late? hahahaha" etc.

That's a crazy place. If anyone ever has the opportunity to visit it's worth going

Zoony,

I have been in that same building...I was looking for the pics but they must be on a CD somewhere...I got to go on a trip there while I was stationed in Japan...I have to say that while it was not one of the most fun trips I've ever been on, it probably has to be the one I enjoy telling the most. At least to people smart enough to realize how big a deal it is to have feet in NK.

Archived