Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LAT: Obama casts his vote, and you have to appreciate his loyalty

ixcuincle

Famous, hated for mysterious reasons, columnist and noted contributor of Around the Horn Bill Plaschke's article on Obama's love of sports

So the First Fan is at it again, waving his giant foam finger, banging his Thunder Stix, bellowing from the bottom of his colorful headband wig.

"I don't want to meddle…," President Barack Obama told TNT in an interview that will be broadcast Tuesday night.

But … he thinks LeBron James should sign with his beloved Chicago Bulls.

That's what Obama said, the First Fan putting the big lean on America's top potential free-agent athlete.

"I will say this," Obama told TNT's Marv Albert, beginning a riff on the Bulls' stars. Derrick "Rose, Joakim Noah, it's a pretty good core. You know, you could see LeBron fitting in pretty well there."

The First Fan doesn't want to meddle, but when it comes to sports, he always meddles, speculating like the guy at the end of the bar, scolding like the guy in the upper deck, the leader of the free world acting like Barack from D.C. on Line 1, running the country while bringing the smack.

Since taking office in January 2009, Obama has publicly filled out March Madness brackets, pushed for a college football national championship, ripped Alex Rodriguez for using steroids, pushed for a Chicago Olympics, called for a U.S.-hosted World Cup and played P-I-G with members of the University of Connecticut national championship women's basketball team.

Actually, I like this aspect of the guy.

I know that Conventional Wisdom is that the President isn't supposed to like or dislike anything, for fear of offending a potential voter. But I like the fact that he isn't that much of a slave to political strategy.

Even if you don't like his opinions on sports, would you rather vote for:

A President who's a Cowboy fan?

Or a President who says "Gee, I respect all sporting teams, and wish them all the best possible success."? (Or who wears the jersey of whichever town he's in.)

Or a President who says "Gee, I respect all sporting teams, and wish them all the best possible success."? (Or who wears the jersey of whichever town he's in.)

Anybody but a Cowboys fan. (Bad example to use Larry.)

Actually, I like this aspect of the guy.

I know that Conventional Wisdom is that the President isn't supposed to like or dislike anything, for fear of offending a potential voter. But I like the fact that he isn't that much of a slave to political strategy.

:hysterical: @ professional basketball

How's our health care system and war over seas going?

Really? The man can't have a casual thought in his head? He can't talk about sports or decompress once in a while?

I mean I got on G W Bush's case about playing golf 9 months out of the year and spending 2/3's of his first term away from the White House on vacation (minor exaggeration here), but good G-d, some y'all are ridiculous.

I suppose if you were President you would have answered...

"That's an inappropriate question, sir. Sports are irrelevant to me and America. Damn you for your dithering away your time at inconseqentialities like sports and thinking I should ever succumb to your falderol or even waste my time by providing an offhanded comment to your nonsense.

One of my favorite Obama moments and I don't have many, was when he started announcing the Gtown vs. Duke game this year. I like the human side of Obama and think it's great when he acts like a fan of sport or his favorite team.

When he put on his White Sox hat at the Nationals game, I honestly think that was a brilliant stunt to protect him from the actual "booos".

that's because you're a moron and thoughts like this trouble a weak mind.

Well your stay will be short, i would bet.

here's why your thought process was so ****ing stupid.

because you act as if the man cannot think even for a moment about anything except the issues that dominate the rest of his day. As if there isn't enough thought and effort being given to it already, and that somehow you envision him sitting around having a couple of beers thinking about sports all day.

Relax and understand that these guys are human too, and may actually like sports, or movies, or music, or all the things YOU enjoy to drop your mind out of work for a minute. What did it take him, all of thirty seconds of time to make the statement about the Bulls?

Can't have that, now can we?

I notice you sit in section 123 on Sundays? Why the hell are you doing that? Don't you have something more productive you could be doing?

~Bang

I'm usually pretty skeptical of politicians who claim to be big sports fans. I think a lot of them (on both sides of the aisle) use sports as a way of making themselves appear to be regular people.

Often, it backfires when they start actually talking about sports, and you realize they don't really know what the hell they're talking about.

I think Obama is a genuine basketball fan, but I sense that his interest in baseball (and the White Sox in particular) is mostly just talk. The Nats broadcast team had Obama in the booth for Opening Day, and they asked him who his favorite White Sox player was growing up. It became very awkward as he couldn't come up with a name, and started talking about how he actually grew up in Hawaii rooting for the Oakland A's.

In a separate interview he called the White Sox former home, Comiskey Park, "Cominskey Field. I mean, that would be like a Packer fan calling Lambeau Field "Lambert Park."

John Kerry did something similar-- he claimed to be a big Red Sox fan, often wearing a Sox cap. But when someone asked him who his favorite Sox player was, he said "Manny Ortiz," combining the names of David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez. Kind of like me saying "Santana Cooley" is my favorite Skins player.

I'm sure republicans do the same thing...it's just that those are the two most obvious and fairly recent examples that come to mind.

You mean you were not able to find the APPROPRIATE THREAD to post in concerning health care?

by the way, calling someone a moron is petulant considering the topic and your initial response.

I'm usually pretty skeptical of politicians who claim to be big sports fans. I think a lot of them (on both sides of the aisle) use sports as a way of making themselves appear to be regular people.

Often, it backfires when they start actually talking about sports, and you realize they don't really know what the hell they're talking about.

I think Obama is a genuine basketball fan, but I sense that his interest in baseball (and the White Sox in particular) is mostly just talk. The Nats broadcast team had Obama in the booth for Opening Day, and they asked him who his favorite White Sox player was growing up. It became very awkward as he couldn't come up with a name, and started talking about how he actually grew up in Hawaii rooting for the Oakland A's.

In a separate interview he called the White Sox former home, Comiskey Park, "Cominskey Field. I mean, that would be like a Packer fan calling Lambeau Field "Lambert Park."

John Kerry did something similar-- he claimed to be a big Red Sox fan, often wearing a Sox cap. But when someone asked him who his favorite Sox player was, he said "Manny Ortiz," combining the names of David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez. Kind of like me saying "Santana Cooley" is my favorite Skins player.

I'm sure republicans do the same thing...it's just that those are the two most obvious and fairly recent examples that come to mind.

It's always entertaining when millionaire politicians try to connect with the common person. But then it's also a little sobering to realize jut how different the people running the country are from you.

The one thing I've noticed working on the radio is how stupidly some people's tongues work when a mic is put before it. It's amazing how many brain farts and tumble tongues I've heard and generated. I give a little grace for that. A strange thing happens to the brain when it's next to a microphone... I wonder if it's the electro-magnetic field it generates ;)

The one thing I've noticed working on the radio is how stupidly some people's tongues work when a mic is put before it. It's amazing how many brain farts and tumble tongues I've heard and generated. I give a little grace for that. A strange thing happens to the brain when it's next to a microphone... I wonder if it's the electro-magnetic field it generates ;)

Isn't that the truth. I have given a few best man toasts, I have everything rehearsed and pretty much memorized to a T until I get the damn mic in my hand, and all everything goes to hell in a hand basket. I can't blame the mic completely, standing up in front of 100+ people is mildly nerve racking. But the damn microphone can be a S0B.

Isn't that the truth. I have given a few best man toasts, I have everything rehearsed and pretty much memorized to a T until I get the damn mic in my hand, and all everything goes to hell in a hand basket. I can't blame the mic completely, standing up in front of 100+ people is mildly nerve racking. But the damn microphone can be a S0B.

I've seen studies that say that the #1 fear of human beings is public speaking.

Death came in second.

People would rather die than stand up in front of a crowd.

~Bang

How's our health care system and war over seas going?

Well, you have 30 days free of the forum to investigate such important issues even more thoroughly and to meditate on your concerns for fellow posters.

Well your stay will be short, i would bet.~Bang

You have to split the winnings with me.

Are you trying to get banned?

Hopefully. I'd like to think of him as a success.

Archived