Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mass Effect to be made into a movie

TheLongshot

Yeah, I read this earlier today. I would love to see Matthew Fox as Shepard, as would many others.

Not sure if he fits the role, but he was the first guy to pop into my mind.

Maybe a little Kristen Bell as ashley?

Seth Green as Joker is a must.

I'm not sure about this move.

Mass Effect is a story that works so well because it's given 40+ hours to flesh out over the course of a huge video game, with its immersive worlds and the huge variety of characters to interact with. Trying to condense that into a 2 hour movie will be tough enough, and that's without any Hollywood execs trying to put their own touches on the final script.

I sure would've liked to have seen that Peter Jackson/Neill Blomkamp "Halo" movie. Too bad Fox and Microsoft screwed that up, it could have been the blueprint for how to successfully make movies like this.

Has there ever been a successful video game-to-movie transfer?

Mortal Kombat is usually considered a fairly successful video-game-to-movie adaptation. It was #1 at the box office when it was released, it ended up making 122 million on a 20 million dollar budget, and it didn't really get killed by the critics- it was a decent film and didn't stray all that far from the source material (which isn't saying too much, but still).

Some might argue that the Tomb Raider movies were successful, which financially is true, but I don't think many in the video game community hold them in very high regard as faithful adaptations. I never really played those games or have seen much of those movies, so I personally can't say for sure either way.

It's tricky, because the studios obviously want to make a lot of money off of these films and see them as instant franchises to cash in on, so they put their fingers all over them to make them more "mainstream" accessible, but if they do that too much, then the hardcore fans come out and deliver relentlessly bad word of mouth all over the internet and the films bomb. So it's a balancing act of keeping the films financially successful, as well as staying true to the source material well enough so that the nerds don't get really pissed off. It's the same as how most comic book films used to be treated, before studios wised up about those properties.

The worst is the Resident Evil series. Paul Anderson is such a hack director and turned Resident Evil into something commercially viable, but far removed from the what the original games were anything like.

Prince of Persia, which comes out this Friday, is tracking 57% so far on Rotten Tomatoes, so that could go either way.

Has there ever been a successful video game-to-movie transfer?

Silent Hill was good, other than that, nope. If a game were to ever be great if it was made into a movie, it would be a CGI Metal Gear Solid, or Fallout. You get plenty of story backdrop to choose from so you can make your movie.

Mortal Kombat is usually considered a fairly successful video-game-to-movie adaptation. It was #1 at the box office when it was released, it ended up making 122 million on a 20 million dollar budget, and it didn't really get killed by the critics- it was a decent film and didn't stray all that far from the source material (which isn't saying too much, but still).

Some might argue that the Tomb Raider movies were successful, which financially is true, but I don't think many in the video game community hold them in very high regard as faithful adaptations. I never really played those games or have seen much of those movies, so I personally can't say for sure either way.

It's tricky, because the studios obviously want to make a lot of money off of these films and see them as instant franchises to cash in on, so they put their fingers all over them to make them more "mainstream" accessible, but if they do that too much, then the hardcore fans come out and deliver relentlessly bad word of mouth all over the internet and the films bomb. So it's a balancing act of keeping the films financially successful, as well as staying true to the source material well enough so that the nerds don't get really pissed off. It's the same as how most comic book films used to be treated, before studios wised up about those properties.

The worst is the Resident Evil series. Paul Anderson is such a hack director and turned Resident Evil into something commercially viable, but far removed from the what the original games were anything like.

Prince of Persia, which comes out this Friday, is tracking 57% so far on Rotten Tomatoes, so that could go either way.

While Mortal Combat was technically successful, calling it good is a stretch.

Personally, I thought the first Tomb Raider film was solid, if unspectacular. I haven't seen the sequel. It sounds like the Prince Of Persia film will be similar.

There was an article in a recent GI about adapting video games to movies. I need to look it up again.

Personally, I thought the first Tomb Raider film was solid, if unspectacular. I haven't seen the sequel. It sounds like the Prince Of Persia film will be similar.

There was an article in a recent GI about adapting video games to movies. I need to look it up again.

Yeah I forgot about MK. That freaking movie came out when I was in second grade, man that was a long time ago. It was a good movie though. They really ****ed up Annihalation though.

Yeah I forgot about MK. That freaking movie came out when I was in second grade, man that was a long time ago. It was a good movie though. They really ****ed up Annihalation though.

I think people excuse a lot from MK because it is a video game movie that didn't suck. But, I don't consider it a very good movie either. It fits in with a lot of the other B-level martial arts films that were coming out at the time.

I think the best material in video gaming right now for a movie is "Halo" I still hope this movie can get made, and I think it will eventually. "Halo" is too much of a cash cow to be ignored forever. A Peter Jackson trilogy using the "Halo" universe would be insane.

Mankind united against a far more advanced enemy, that believes humans are an abomination.

I think people excuse a lot from MK because it is a video game movie that didn't suck. But, I don't consider it a very good movie either. It fits in with a lot of the other B-level martial arts films that were coming out at the time.

But don't you think thats why most of the people thought it was good when it came out? It symbolized everything that was cool about the early 90's, martial arts, state of the art special effects (then), killer house/trance/rave music soundtrack, Mortal Kombat the game itself, I mean those 4 things absolutely ruled the 90's.

That's part of why the sequel sucked so bad. People were gradually moving away from that time period, but the second one had even more popular characters in it. Some movies are only as good as the the time period they are released in. Few fighting movies like Bloodsport and Enter The Dragon can withstand the test of time. I thought MK was decent.

But don't you think thats why most of the people thought it was good when it came out? It symbolized everything that was cool about the early 90's, martial arts, state of the art special effects (then), killer house/trance/rave music soundtrack, Mortal Kombat the game itself, I mean those 4 things absolutely ruled the 90's.

That's part of why the sequel sucked so bad. People were gradually moving away from that time period, but the second one had even more popular characters in it. Some movies are only as good as the the time period they are released in. Few fighting movies like Bloodsport and Enter The Dragon can withstand the test of time. I thought MK was decent.

The sequels sucked so bad because they were just really really bad

movies. Please do not put Bloodsport and Enter the Dragon in the

same sentence. Enter the Dragon was probably the greatest

martial arts movie ever made.

Yeah, I don't think I'd call Mortal Kombat "good," but for what it was, and the fairly thin material it was based off of, it was passable.

That's a good summary of the Tomb Raider movies, from what I've seen of them.

If you find that Game Informer article online anywhere, please post it.

Actually I liked the Resident Evil movies the best. The first MK movie was ok, but

the rest were god awful.

Ugh, the Resident Evil movies turned what should have been a truly creepy film franchise with a little action mixed in (think 28 Days Later or something) into this cheesy martial arts/Matrix Bullet Time nonsense, centered around a nobody Alice character. I'd rather see Leon and Claire trying to escape a ravaged Raccoon City than Alice jumping off of walls and kicking zombie dogs in the face.

The filmmakers of that series don't care though. Hell, Paul Anderson ended up marrying Milla Jovovich, so he got all he wanted out of the deal.

In a 2 hour movie, Shepard and gang will spend half of that in an elevator.

:ols:

I think the best material in video gaming right now for a movie is "Halo" I still hope this movie can get made, and I think it will eventually. "Halo" is too much of a cash cow to be ignored forever. A Peter Jackson trilogy using the "Halo" universe would be insane.

Mankind united against a far more advanced enemy, that believes humans are an abomination.

Storyline:

Mass Effect >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halo

Archived