Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Google rolls out encrypted Web search option

MattFancy

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/05/24/cnet.google.encrypted/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Google began offering an encrypted option for Web searchers on Friday and said it planned to roll it out for all of its services eventually.

People who want to use the more secure search option can type "https://www.google.com" into their browser, scrambling the connection so the words and phrases they search on, and the results that Google displays, will be protected from interception.

The beta service of the secure Web search option begins in the United States on Friday and will be rolled out over the next few days to users around the world, said Murali Viswanathan, a Google search product manager.

Friday's announcement makes Google the first major search engine to offer this privacy-protective feature. AOL, Yahoo, and Microsoft currently do not.

"Some users will want the extra privacy and security this feature will offer," Viswanathan said in an interview with CNET. "But it's not going to be the default option, at this point. There's a lot of work to be done before we get there."

Seems like a good idea, but what about the terrorists who use Google to search for things? Why wouldn't they use this way to search Google from now on?

To me it sounds like this is more as a way of protecting yourself again outside "eyes", not Google themselves. I would imaging Google still has logs and databases full of this information, so even if terrorists wanted to use the secure search feature, Google would still have access to that information.

To me it sounds like this is more as a way of protecting yourself again outside "eyes", not Google themselves. I would imaging Google still has logs and databases full of this information, so even if terrorists wanted to use the secure search feature, Google would still have access to that information.

That's probably true. I guess the searches wouldn't show up in your history, but Google would still have access to them.

The purpose is to provide privacy for the searcher between their browser and Google's servers.

Your ISP or network won't know what you are searching on. Obviously, when you click on a link that will be known, but the search term you used to find it will be protected.

Archived