Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Andre Carter says he's "really comfortable" with 3-4 defense

authentic

Yeah, I've played Madden, too.

If Carter is really just going to be a stand-up rusher, then he'll probably be reasonably successful at that... but then, I think you also lose some of the versatility of the 3-4. One of the strengths of running 4 linebackers is that they can line up in their regular spots and you don't know who's blitzing. But if you know Carter's not going to drop into coverage, that essentially takes away some of the guessing game for the O-line. He's admitted that he feels uncomfortable doing any coverage/reading, etc. So either you lose the advantage, or you drop in him coverage, where he's not any good.

I guess I'll have to take him at his word that he feels better in this incarnation of the 3-4 than the one he played in San Francisco, at least til we see them on the field.

I'm not really sure what that first line is all about but I'll take the high road and move on. I completely agree that you lose a big part of the advantage when it is known one of the OLB's is really just a DE. It basically creates a 4-3 front with one guy's hand off the ground depending on responsibilities of the front 3. Knowing that we don't have a OLB that has both the pass rushing and coverage skills of a truly elite 3-4 OLB I haven't been a big fan of the switch. I doubt Carter is going to become a cover guy at this point in his career but Jarmon, Orakpo, and to a lesser extent Wilson may be young enough to develop somewhat in that area.

Even so, most 3-4 OLB's aren't known for their coverage. Most people think 3-4 OLB and think Merriman, Dumervil, Harrison, Woodley, Jason Taylor, Demarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, and guys of that nature. They're all strong pass rushers with limited coverage skills and thus limited coverage responsibility.

I doubt Carter is going to be put into coverage often and it will probably be shallow zones when he is. I'm not overly concerned there. Now if he's put into man on an athletic TE then I might be worried.

Carter wasn't good in the 3-4 the first time around... maybe this time he'll be better?

Meh?

Carter started that season as a reserve player and played his way into the starting role and finished with 4.5 sacks.

Carter has said that he wasn't comfortable its media interpretation that he wasn't good.

OLB in one 3-4 is not going to be the same as OLB in every other 3-4. He may not be the prototypical 3-4 OLB that can do it all but he certainly can be an effective rusher and in run support. He'll struggle somewhat in coverage but I don't expect to see him doing a lot of that.

Well said.

So he'll be rotating with SAM with C. Wilson, and DE with ??? A. Carter needs to be 100% for sure if he's going to play some 3-4 end sets.

I thought they said they were keeping Orakpo on the strong side.

Carter's got the talent to play in the 3-4, and did have the same thing in San Francisco, except for the coaching staff. Here, he's got Haslett, who knows a lot more about the 3-4 than most coordinators out there, and Lou Spanos helped coach the Steelers, who have always had great linebackers in the 3-4.

I expect Carter to really flourish out there in the 3-4, and there will also be times when he plays as defensive end when the Skins line up four linemen. He's going to be playing, and playing often, that's for sure.

As noted, I will feel a LOT better about the Redskins defense when guys like Carter, Jarmon and others get back on the field and start practicing again with the team.

Right now these guys are getting the mental reps and that's fine to a point. But the Redskins need healthy football players out there and looking up and down the roster Washington looks like a rehabbing MASH ward.

Carter's got the talent to play in the 3-4, and did have the same thing in San Francisco, except for the coaching staff. Here, he's got Haslett, who knows a lot more about the 3-4 than most coordinators out there, and Lou Spanos helped coach the Steelers, who have always had great linebackers in the 3-4.

I expect Carter to really flourish out there in the 3-4, and there will also be times when he plays as defensive end when the Skins line up four linemen. He's going to be playing, and playing often, that's for sure.

The 49er's defense sucked that year but the coaches weren't bad. I would say Mike Nolan is a more distinguished teacher of the 3-4 than Haslett. Look at his success in Baltimore, New York (both) and Denver. He's coached top 10 defenses in Baltimore, NY (both), and Denver. The NYJ were 21 the year before he came in, 10th his season, and 19th after he left. I'd say he had an impact there.

The style of 3-4 implemented by Nolan may not have fit Carter (or Julian Peterson his stats were even worse) but he isn't a bad coach. I like Haslett but I'd probably take Nolan given the choice.

Nolan has been successful as a coordinator in part because of the strong backing from the HC and front office he has received in the places noted. Baltimore, NY, Denver.

Haslett has only worked for one organization (PITT) to this point as the trigger man where he has had that kind of personnel and organizational support.

Nolan has been successful as a coordinator in part because of the strong backing from the HC and front office he has received in the places noted. Baltimore, NY, Denver.

Haslett has only worked for one organization (PITT) to this point as the trigger man where he has had that kind of personnel and organizational support.

True that both coaches have had different situations, I more of just wanted to get the point across that SF didn't have bad defensive coaches in Carter's prior experience in the 3-4. I don't think it maximized the talents of Carter or Julian Peterson on the outside but I don't think it was terrible coaching. Bryant Young had 8 sacks at DE that year. I think having the 6-0 300lb Anthony Adams at NT and the complete lack of an offense (Lloyd lead the team in catches and Smith started 7 games throwing for 1 touchdown) had more to do with the poor defensive statistics. I don't know how far I would go with Nolan having strong support from Denver's FO either. Looking at their 2009 roster I see a lot of "who?"'s. Dumervil and Williams are stars. Champ is still probably in the elite status but no longer the best of the best. Nolan got a group of older unheralded players and put a great unit together.

I'm not familiar with all of Haslett's career but he was head coach in NO so I assume he got some support there. It looks like about half of NO's first round picks went to defensive players during his tenure. It looks like the majority of rounds 1-3 went defense as well with quite a few (failed) linebackers in there.

It looks like the Rams went defense first round all three of Haslett's years there as well. I'm assuming he had quite a bit of input on those selections. Rounds one through three had five defensive players and four offensive during his stint.

Just to be clear I'm not blaming Haslett for NO/STL's past failures or saying he's a bad coach. I like him and am looking forward to seeing what he has in store for us. I just don't think he's a better coach than Mike Nolan simply because he's wearing our colors. I also don't think Nolan is infalible. He did have the whole ice cream incident with Mr. Snyder after a few sub par defenses here.

Archived