Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ughhh Laptop/Computer Issue (fixed in post 23)

DButz65

So I leave our laptop on this evening when my wife gets home, and we head to dinner. We both have separate profiles on our laptop, I was logged into mine when we left. She wants to use it when we get home, so she reboots it like normal, so she can log in to her profile...and after the XP loading screen, it takes us to the error screen, ie reboot in safe mode, reboot in safe mode with networking, reboot to last know configuration.. etc etc...

Well of course i tried safe mode first..but after the XP load screen it dumps us back to the screen above.. I tried all of the options, but we keep getting sent back to that multiple choice screen, none of them work. Been googling it online but not having any luck finding any info as to why it is doing, what its doing. I can get into the BIOS via F10 (its a HP) but I dont see anything in there worth while, none of the options work for safe mode, or last know configuration :(

Any help out there? thanks!!

So I leave our laptop on this evening when my wife gets home, and we head to dinner. We both have separate profiles on our laptop, I was logged into mine when we left. She wants to use it when we get home, so she reboots it like normal, so she can log in to her profile...and after the XP loading screen, it takes us to the error screen, ie reboot in safe mode, reboot in safe mode with networking, reboot to last know configuration.. etc etc...

Well of course i tried safe mode first..but after the XP load screen it dumps us back to the screen above.. I tried all of the options, but we keep getting sent back to that multiple choice screen, none of them work. Been googling it online but not having any luck finding any info as to why it is doing, what its doing. I can get into the BIOS via F10 (its a HP) but I dont see anything in there worth while, none of the options work for safe mode, or last know configuration :(

Any help out there? thanks!!

Well for one you dont have to reboot the machine to log onto a different profile.

So its basically just looping?

Well for one you dont have to reboot the machine to log onto a different profile.

So its basically just looping?

On ours we do, the quick log off/in doesnt work, never really has for as long as we bought it LOL

Yea its just looping back to the load windows in safe mode..safe mode with networking, start windows normally, or last know configuration page/screen. None of them seen to be working

A HP splash screen flashes for a second, i think F10 was to enter setup, and maybe F12 for something else, going to see if i can get my finger on it quick enough, it flashes for like 2 seconds tops

None thats the thing, just the basic..the power button may have been pressed, or there was a hardware change, etc etc yada yada yada
Oh ok, now I understand.

Could be a number of things. Its tough on a laptop to test for hardware devices if that is the case. (probably isn't)

There's a chance you won't be able to save the data on your computer.

I got into the BIOS, and there were 2 HDD tests I could run..one was basic and takes 2 minutes..the other says it takes 55 minutes (approximate).

I ran the 2 minute one and it passed...so im running the other one now, takes 55 minutes..I guess its a deeper scan of the HDD , so I'll see what happens after that. I mentioned to my wife the HDD might have died..she didnt look too happy about that!

Are laptop HDD's expensive? ughh never had to buy one before

I got into the BIOS, and there were 2 HDD tests I could run..one was basic and takes 2 minutes..the other says it takes 55 minutes (approximate).

I ran the 2 minute one and it passed...so im running the other one now, takes 55 minutes..I guess its a deeper scan of the HDD , so I'll see what happens after that. I mentioned to my wife the HDD might have died..she didnt look too happy about that!

Are laptop HDD's expensive? ughh never had to buy one before

Well the 2nd test (deep scan) failed..didnt give me a explanation or anything..and i can not find my windows XP home disc :mad: Or the HP restore CD..the laptop is over 5 years old.

So how expensive are laptop HDD's? Probably better off just buying a new one? I see 15 inch screen models are cheap, but I want one with a 17 inch wide screen like we have now :( and a numpad!

Probably a bad hard drive.

Tap on the F8 button when you try to boot and select "Disable automatic restart on system failure".

This will allow the blue screen to stay on the screen to be recorded. My bet is that it is a 0xED or 0x7B stop code, which typically are the result of a failed hard drive, or in some cases, just a corrupt file system (meaning the drive COULD be still operable).

Laptop hard drives are not expensive, but if you don't have the software to install new, it might just be worth it to throw $600 into a new machine. I typically tell my customers that a machine that is 4-5 years old typically should be replaced, mostly because by the time we charge them for labor, data recovery, and parts, it may be close to $300, about half the cost of a new PC that would outperform the old one tenfold.

But then again, I know you have a bit of tech savvy in you. $60 (or less, depending on how much space you need) on newegg and a couple days later, with proper operating system software (almost any install disc should work using the product key sticker on the bottom of the machine), you'd be back in business.

If it were me, I'd be looking here: http://www.fatwallet.com/best-laptop-deals/ ;)

Drums, if I can find my old copy of XP Pro..i can just try to load the repair function on the laptop correct?

And none of those laptops on that page are 17 inch screens, with numpads either hehe

I've seen this a LOT and generally -- no, a repair install won't work because it won't even find the original XP installation to repair when it goes through the "looking for previous installation of Windows" stage. Assuming it IS the hard drive, it would be either file table corruption or a bad drive itself (or both as often is the case). If its just file table corruption, you can reinstall the operating system and assuming the drive is also in good enough health, you will be able to perform a fresh install. If it is more than file table corruption; the drive is toast and beyond repair and you'd need a new HDD. Given that the machine is 5 years old, I'd bet that the hard drive is toast (this doesn't necessarily mean all data is lost) and you'd want to get a new one.

One thing you want to try before reinstalling anything.. is load the CD.. choose the option for repair console.. and run a chkdsk on it.. If it's bad clusters, chkdsk can try to move the data off those clusters to usable ones, and then mark the damaged clusters as bad.. This really isn't ever brought up, but chkdsk has saved my butt more times than I care to admit.. for 15 minutes, it's worth a shot.

Make sure you don't have an external HD hooked up, sometimes that causes a stop or loop at the splash screen....also if you are looking for a 17" laptop with numpad I got one from Best Buy a few months back for about $400, 4GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 17", DVD DL R/W, Windows 7 Home, works great!

But chkdsk works great too!

I doubt its a major hardware issue. I would start by booting off the Win XP disc and try to repair the install. This will not wipe the drive. If I remember right, you will get a repair option on the first static screen once the WinXP setup loads. Now, this is where you would be able to run a chkdsk /r if you wanted, and you can if you want to try that first (it will take a while). However, to do an installation repair you would hit Enter to continue to the next screen AND then the option to repair the installation should show up. If at any point you are asked to delete/format a partition, you're in the wrong place.

If it's 5 years old, I'd just get a new one.

Yea I'm already looking..funny thing is right before this one croaked lastnight...when we got home after dinner...I went to get the mail..and guess what was in the mailbox? A huge flyer from microcenter..and laptops are on sale this month...it was a sign LOL even though I didnt look at it until this morning :silly:

Well, after debating buying a new laptop with the wife, we decided to just go buy a new HDD for this one...I had a brand new copy of windows XP laying around so this fix will be cheaper for us, for now. NEw HDD is 250GB (smallest one BB had) old one was only like 80 tops from what I can remember.

This laptop has space for 2 HDD's, so I am going to pop the old one in the 2nd slot and see if i can pull the files from it that way...should this work? I am formatting the new drive now prepping it for installation of XP.

I wonder. they had something like this happen at work, a MS update somehow caused a service that's key to windows to get blocked and you couldn't login or do anything. didn't happen to me.

Only other thing I can think of is the following:

1. Might it have overheated?

2. does the laptop have a reset pin/button/hole on the bottom? I had an HP that did and sometimes I had to do that to get it to work right.

I wonder. they had something like this happen at work, a MS update somehow caused a service that's key to windows to get blocked and you couldn't login or do anything. didn't happen to me.

Only other thing I can think of is the following:

1. Might it have overheated?

2. does the laptop have a reset pin/button/hole on the bottom? I had an HP that did and sometimes I had to do that to get it to work right.

I don't know about any of that...but I changed the jumper on the now 2nd HDD according to its manual for running as a slave, and popped it in after I got the new HDD formatted with windows installed...and it took forever for the computer to boot up, then it was VERY laggy and hung when trying to access the old drive in "my computer" I had to cntrl alt delete and end the application. SO I am going to have a friend try to get the date off the file for me, he does it all the time at his job.

So in short the laptop is running again with the new drive and a brand spanking new copy of XP I had laying around collecting dust, $75 is cheaper than 400-800$ for a new laptop :point2sky

I don't know about any of that...but I changed the jumper on the now 2nd HDD according to its manual for running as a slave, and popped it in after I got the new HDD formatted with windows installed...and it took forever for the computer to boot up, then it was VERY laggy and hung when trying to access the old drive in "my computer" I had to cntrl alt delete and end the application. SO I am going to have a friend try to get the date off the file for me, he does it all the time at his job.

So in short the laptop is running again with the new drive and a brand spanking new copy of XP I had laying around collecting dust, $75 is cheaper than 400-800$ for a new laptop :point2sky

You might be able to run Recuva - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Its a free program that'll scan the hard drive for files. Its not as full featured as some of the stuff I've used, but it may be worth a shot (and a few hours to let it do a full scan).

But before I even did that, I'd run a chkdsk /r on the secondary (old) hard drive.

Boot into windows, type CMD in the run command box. (windows key and R will launch Run). Type: chkdsk e: /r

Where e: is the drive letter of the secondary hard drive. This could take about an hour or more.

Drums, I might try it if I have some extra time tomorrow, like I said, the computer gets REAL slow when I put the 2nd (old) HDD in, took it 15 minutes to boot up..but its lightning fast when I remove the old one. I made sure the jumpers were correct on each one via the online manuals for both drives.

Archived