Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider: Buffalo News reports Santana Moss is the unnamed Redskin implicated in the Galea reports [edit: now with Buffalo News article]

jferraro

And it probably will, as did the Balco investigation.

But what ever became of BALCO?

Bill Romanowski has a job in the league today.

Oh, I agree that nothing will ultimately become of it, other than perhaps the loss of the most casual of fans (good riddance anyways). It just will be interesting to see what secrets are uncovered.

To me, this all hinges on the outside possibility that Brady is involved. Just Moss isnt enough to break this open, but with a poster boy involved, things could happen quickly

And it probably will, as did the Balco investigation.

But what ever became of BALCO?

Bill Romanowski has a job in the league today.

Romanowski even has his own workout supplement thing, they were talking about it on 106.7 not too long ago.

I can't remember the exact name/website, but it was www. something 53.com

It just will be interesting to see what secrets are uncovered.

Most definitely.

But today and the next couple will be the 'ooohhhing and awwwing' period as names are dropped and every one freaks out.

It will be interesting to bump this thread a year from now to see whats become of this news.

You guys are so quick to jump to conclusions. How can they suspend Moss when he is yet to test positve for this stuff.

Did Big Ben test positive for anything? Let's be clear, you don't have to be charged to be suspended in the NFL anymore. If they think it harms the shield, they WILL suspend you, but I understand they have to have some kind of due process.

Am I the only one who thinks not only does Santana look very guilty, but hell, if he was taking HGH while injured and he still sucked? Maybe its time to find a way to part with this Jetskin and look to draft or bring in another WR.

it will make headlines for a few days and then disappear. No one will remember in five years.

Not if this implicates Brady. If its just Moss, yeah it'll blow over. But if one of the biggest stars in the game is involved in this, no way this just goes away.

In the original article, the unamed players already talked to the Feds and 2 of them said they did not knowingly take HGH. That will be their story but I expect a 4 game suspension for both of them. The retired guy admitted buying HGH from the doc but I don't think they can do too much to him.

According to most bodybuilders who are your typical user/abusers of HGH, HGH by itself does very little in the way of muscular hypertrophy and strength gains. Results are seen only after many months of continuous use with common dosages of 2-4 IU's being common for body recompostion and injury recovery while upper tier dosages from 6 IU's and up while stacked with testosterone and/or IGF-1/Insulin being used for strength and muscle growth. Anectodally, higher amounts of HGH used without the aid of exogenous androgens don't seem to yield much in the way of tangible gains.

BS.

We can go round and round.

Growth hormone was discovered in the 1920's and was isolated in the form of somatotropin in 1956. The benefits of HGH are immense, even today new research pops up regularly that reveals new uses for it. HGH is present in the body at a rate of 500 micrograms at any time in the blood of males between the ages of 20 and 30.

It's produced by the anterior pituitary gland under the stimulation of the Hypothalamus (like LH, the testosterone precursor). The effects on our system are tremendous:

• HGH promotes and increases the synthesis of new protein tissues, such as in muscle recovery or repair. This is the way new muscle is built.
  • Recent research suggests its involvement in the metabolism of body-fat and its conversion to energy sources. Tests were conducted in obese people and medical use in treating obesity was proven beyond a doubt. Pro's have used GH as a way of maintaining and increasing lean mass while dieting for years.
  • It improves the sleeping pattern, makes for less unintended awakenings and betters REM-stage sleep.
  • HGH produces more energy
  • It may improve sexual performance
  • It builds stronger bones
  • Improves the quality and duration of heart and kidneys

So you can tell the benefits are not few. What's an even bigger card in the weighing of HGH against testosterone and its derivatives is that it is not androgenic, causes no aromatization and shows no side effects in limited doses. It just makes you bigger, huge even in combination with testosterone.

So far its just speculation.

HGH being used to recover from an injury is not a sin to me. Being on Predisone (steroids), etc for 3 years to offset lung damage as well as potential vision loss probably has me biased.

Now using the stuff to turn into a Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds or the 70's Steelers is different.

Santana Moss, a wide receiver for the NFL’s Washington Redskins, is one of the professional athletes who allegedly received treatment from a Toronto physician charged Tuesday with smuggling muscle-building drugs into the United States, according to sources close to the case.

But at this point, federal prosecutors do not intend to file criminal charges against Moss or any other athlete who had dealings with the doctor.

That word came Wednesday afternoon from William J. Hochul Jr., U. S. attorney in Buffalo.

At this juncture, any of the persons who are alleged to have used these substances are considered witnesses, and not targets, of this investigation,” Hochul told The Buffalo News.

Will the information that federal agents obtained about any athlete’s dealings with Dr. Anthony Galea be shared with Major League Baseball, the National Football League or any other sports organization?

“I’m not going to comment on that right now,” Hochul said.

In a criminal complaint filed Tuesday in Buffalo, Galea was accused of drug smuggling, conspiracy, lying to federal agents, unlawful distribution of human growth hormone and introducing an unapproved drug into interstate commerce.

His lawyers, including Mark J. Mahoney of Buffalo, denied the allegations of wrongdoing against the doctor. They said he treated American athletes — including golfer Tiger Woods and baseball player Alex Rodriguez — but only to help them heal from injuries. Mahoney said the doctor never provided athleteswith any illegal performance-enhancing treatments.

“Officials of the NFL and other sports organizations can sleep soundly tonight, because there is nothing he did with these athletes to help them with performance enhancement,” Mahoney said Wednesday.

“[Galea] strictly provided treatment for injuries. If any athlete got [human growth hormone], it was injected directly into injured tissue, in very small amounts, for purposes of healing.”

Agents questioned more than a dozen American athletes about the treatment they received from Galea, authorities said.

Sources said Wednesday that Moss was one of those athletes. When Galea’s medical assistant was arrested at the Peace Bridge last September, she was on her way to Washington,

D. C., where Galea was planning to meet with Moss and treat him for an injury, the sources said.

Moss, 30, is not mentioned by name in court papers filed in Galea’s case on Tuesday, and the Redskins player is not charged with any crime.

An employee at the Miami Beach office of Moss’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, declined to comment when contacted by The News.

“There won’t be any comment along those lines from Santana,” said the employee, who did not give his name.

Moss did not respond to an e-mail sent to him. Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie said “this is an off-the-field incident” and referred a reporter to Rosenhaus. Federal prosecutors declined to comment when asked about the identities of any individual players, including Moss, who were involved in the investigation.

Galea never obtained legal permission to work as a doctor or in any other capacity in the United States......

Reading comprehension and media spin is horrible. The article in the Buffalo News says only that Santana Moss received treatment from Dr Galea, not HGH treatments. Arod and Tiger Woods received treatment from Dr Galea, but not HGH. This doctor also specialized in other drugs, that are not against the rules of the NFL or MLB.

I am not saying whether Moss is innocent or guilty, just pointing out that nowhere in the article does it say Moss received HGH.

But what happens when other big names start to leak out?

Is Goodell gonna put asterisks next to the Pats SB titles in the record books?

I dunno. I don't think you can put asterisks next to the titles, because you don't know if other players were using. Just like its impossible to take away WS titles from teams because it turns out everyone else was using it too.

Wasn't that just about straight 'roids though, not HGH

I think it was a conglomeration of everything relating to PEDs in baseball. The remark was in reference to the possibility of this rivalling the BALCO scandal in MLB, to which the remark was made that it would just blow over in a few days and not be remembered in 5 years. I was just saying that people still remember Canseco and the others.

It's not like he's using steroids to bulk up. HGH is known to aid in and speed up recovery from injuries, though and that's what it's usually used for in the sporting world.

Honestly, in some ways, I'd like to see it medically explored to see how safe or unsafe it is. I'm not necessarily against a substance used for that purpose provided it's relatively safe. To me, this is A LOT different than someone using steroids to bulk up.

For me, this is a very slippery slope. I think part of the amazement factor of sports is that athletes have been blessed with almost super human abilities. Not everyone in the world can do what NFL, NBA, MLB, etc players can do, and it makes them special and unique.

But at what point do we draw the line where some of the ability is artificial? Clearly, people have drawn the line at muscle building steroids as bad, and HGH as "maybe" bad. However, if athletes are no longer limited by natural injuries, at what point are we sacrificing the uniqueness of their abilities? Where do we stop when talking about "fixing" injuries? HGH? Bionic implants?

The simple fact that not enough is known about HGH makes it that much more of a complicated issue. I just don't know enough to feel one way or the other. But clearly the majority of other sports have set the precident that HGH creates an uneven playing field, and I am not sure why the NFL should be any different.

Lets not forget that probably there are LOT of other players in the league that use HGH and they wont get caught by the league unless its by the FBI!! Whatever, I dont really care either way though because HGH is not that big of a deal to me, give him a 2 to 4 game suspension and move on.

This is why there is no big outcry for blood testing in the NFL. Fans simply don't care, and don't want their football world disturbed by trivial things like HGH. The majority are happy to continue with a don't ask, don't tell policy when it comes to PEDs in the NFL.

It is always amazing to me that folks continue to act surprised whenever one of these PED peddlers gets busted.

Has anyone been paying attention over the last 30 years? I mean, even a little?

You guys think it's natural to have 300 lbs'ers running sub 5 40's?

How can so many of you just throw out baseless claims that he cheated? The article does not say where they got his name from. They do not have his name in any of the filings from the Feds... so where did it come from?

They claim there were others, yet they specifically throw out Santana Moss' name without a shred of evidence of proof. They completely imply that Santana Moss of the Redskins is taking HGH, without actually accusing him of doing it. No one elses name is mentioned.

If I were Moss, I would be suing this paper for libel in a heartbeat. Come back to me when there is even any reason to believe any of it.

You guys are so quick to jump to conclusions. How can they suspend Moss when he is yet to test positve for this stuff. Suspending from word of mouth would be so stupid on so many levels. Those MLB players didn't get suspended when that report came out some years ago. And don't compare him to Cushing, because he didn't actually fail a test yet. Just test the guy and see what happens.

But Big Ben was suspended on allegations.

It's something to do with representing the league and "conduct unbecoming the NFL" which is pretty much a catch all phrase. Not saying he will be suspended, but a precedent has been set.

If he gets suspended this COULD be a blessing in disguise, as it would give guys like Devin and Malcolm (and maybe even Terrence Austin) the opportunity to perform. They could use this potential opportunity as a springboard for their respective careers.

Of course, it could also go the other way . . . Without Moss on the field we could be in some serious trouble . . .

How can so many of you just throw out baseless claims that he cheated? The article does not say where they got his name from. They do not have his name in any of the filings from the Feds... so where did it come from?

They claim there were others, yet they specifically throw out Santana Moss' name without a shred of evidence of proof. They completely imply that Santana Moss of the Redskins is taking HGH, without actually accusing him of doing it. No one elses name is mentioned.

If I were Moss, I would be suing this paper for libel in a heartbeat. Come back to me when there is even any reason to believe any of it.

I believe his name came from the Dr.'s assistance that was stopped at the border. I'm not certain on that, but trying to put the pieces together, it seems she started dropping names to the authorities when she realized she was busted.

But Big Ben was suspended on allegations.

It's something to do with representing the league and "conduct unbecoming the NFL" which is pretty much a catch all phrase. Not saying he will be suspended, but a precedent has been set.

Big Ben was suspended because he was living the life of a jackass and getting caught doing it. It looks bad when you are accused of sexual assault more than once.

Obviously he was putting himself into situations in life that were not within the mold of what Goodell wants. He was not suspended on the allegations of sexual assault, but on the knowledge of his personal character and conduct.

Archived