Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Philadelphia Eagles' weakness: Cornerback

HapHaszard

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/14162/philadelphia-eagles-weakness-cornerback

The Philadelphia Eagles have revamped their roster -- out with the old and in with the new. This could be a transition year for Philadelphia, but this is an exceptional organization and looks to have fortified its roster in many spots. While the Eagles might not be an elite contender, I don’t expect this team to turn into a losing organization in 2010.

The Eagles had a wealth of draft picks, but didn’t address their cornerback need until the fourth round, despite sending starter Sheldon Brown to the Browns prior to the draft. They did improve their stable of pass-rushers, and obviously that should help the cornerbacks in coverage.

Marlin Jackson, a cornerback in Indianapolis, was signed in free agency. If second-round pick Nate Allen can grab a hold of the starting free safety spot, Jackson could once again get reps at corner, but he is coming off a serious injury and wasn’t the quickest or fastest cover man to begin with. Safety is probably his best fit at this point. Asante Samuel is set as one starter and is a very good player. He makes plenty of big plays, but he is also a liability against the run and can be too risky at times.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

I'd agree that corner is a weakness that the Eagles have, but I'd put more onus on the quarterback position. They are still relatively secure at corner with Marlin Jackson and Asante Samuel, with decent safeties. They have an unproven quarterback who has done spot and injury duty. Kolb has nowhere near the amount of experience that the corners have, and it's the highest-profile position available; not to mention he's coming in after one of the greatest in Philly history.

I'd agree that corner is a weakness that the Eagles have, but I'd put more onus on the quarterback position. They are still relatively secure at corner with Marlin Jackson and Asante Samuel, with decent safeties. They have an unproven quarterback who has done spot and injury duty. Kolb has nowhere near the amount of experience that the corners have, and it's the highest-profile position available; not to mention he's coming in after one of the greatest in Philly history.

Gotta agree with this, CB can be a weakness at any given time, but more games are won or lost due to QB over CB. I think Kolb has a lot of pressure riding on his shoulders and I think the team has got to help him stay focused and stay away from the media at this point.

It'll be interesting to see what the Eagles do this year, and I am sure injuries from other teams will help and the schedule and what Reid does with the team.

Im not seeing this team become a loser franchise either this year, but I dont think they are in a position where they hoped they would be with the team.

They are still relatively secure at corner with Marlin Jackson and Asante Samuel, with decent safeties.

Absolute crazy talk.

How are they relatively secure with Jackson on the corner?

He's coming off an ACL injury, wasn't that fast to begin with, and November puts him one year out from the injury, which is the time frame most people say is necessary to heal from an ACL.

Don't people remember Matt Bowen? The guy was an absolute monster, but after the knee injury he lost all his explosion, and basically became ineffective. He never contributed again. How is Marlin Jackson automatically going to play safety let alone corner?

We have no idea whether this guy is an ACL healing freak like Correll Buckhalter, or not. But regardless, you simply cannot say they are "relatively secure" at corner. You got one guy who can't tackle, and one guy that can't run yet.

And Ellis Hobbes ain't a great answer.

Wasn't the last time CB was considered a weakness in Philadelphia the year that they cut Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor? That didn't exactly work out in the favor of the rest of the division with Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown stepping up to the plate in a big way.

I can't be the only person who thinks Vick will start, not Kolb....

Aside from gimmick plays I don't think Vick will really even see field time unless Kolb struggles badly.

Absolute crazy talk.

How are they relatively secure with Jackson on the corner?

He's coming off an ACL injury, wasn't that fast to begin with, and November puts him one year out from the injury, which is the time frame most people say is necessary to heal from an ACL.

Don't people remember Matt Bowen? The guy was an absolute monster, but after the knee injury he lost all his explosion, and basically became ineffective. He never contributed again. How is Marlin Jackson automatically going to play safety let alone corner?

We have no idea whether this guy is an ACL healing freak like Correll Buckhalter, or not. But regardless, you simply cannot say they are "relatively secure" at corner. You got one guy who can't tackle, and one guy that can't run yet.

And Ellis Hobbes ain't a great answer.

They're more secure at corner than they are at quarterback, that's for sure. At least they have experience at cornerback.

Don't people remember Matt Bowen? The guy was an absolute monster...

Not to hijack the thread, but this statement is blatantly wrong. Taylor was a monster; Dexter Manley was a monster; Alvin Walton was a monster; Dave Butz was a monster. The list goes on...and no where on the list would you find Bowen. The guy's only highlight was a training camp tackle.

• 2 weeks later...

Another weakness:

Coach Andy Reid conceded that C Jamaal Jackson (ACL surgery) is a longshot to be ready for Week 1.

Nick Cole and converted guard Mike McGlynn have been trading first-team snaps in OTAs. Though Cole is valued for his versatility, he didn't hold up well against the Cowboys in two season-ending losses. This could be a problem area for the Eagles' ground attack early in the season.

Source: PhillyBurbs.com

Not to hijack the thread, but this statement is blatantly wrong.

WHatever. Question of degree then.

Bowen was the hardest hitter on the team (sans Sean Taylor), and he was reduced to nothing because he lost his explosion after his ACL injury. That's what I meant by monster. Hard hitter.

Another weakness:

Coach Andy Reid conceded that C Jamaal Jackson (ACL surgery) is a longshot to be ready for Week 1.

Nick Cole and converted guard Mike McGlynn have been trading first-team snaps in OTAs. Though Cole is valued for his versatility, he didn't hold up well against the Cowboys in two season-ending losses. This could be a problem area for the Eagles' ground attack early in the season.

Source: PhillyBurbs.com

What ground attack? :)

Archived