Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Picking someone up from BWI

Devastate

Ok it's about 10 years since I've had to do this, but picking up a friend from BWI.. Anyone do this lately can let me know if it's the same as I remember.. Just pull in to the section of the company the flight is on, and wait for them to come out? Has that changed at all?

Easiest to do from the baggage claim area. They can walk out to the curb from there. Just tell them not to be on the inner ring because only cabs and buses are allowed there.

If they and you have a cell, have them call and tell you exactly where they are on the curb using a landmark you can see. There are signs, booths, etc. to use for landmarks.

It's better than it used to be. They have done a lot of renovations in the past 3 years which changed traffic patterns so it probably won't be exactly as you remember.

Ok it's about 10 years since I've had to do this, but picking up a friend from BWI.. Anyone do this lately can let me know if it's the same as I remember.. Just pull in to the section of the company the flight is on, and wait for them to come out? Has that changed at all?

You definitely can't pull in and just wait.

You can't hang at the curb too long or they'll tell you to move. If so, you can slowly loop around. Or, there's a "cell phone waiting area" (I think it's called) a short distance from the terminal. You can wait there in your car until your passenger calls, then go pick them up. Signs point the way to this free waiting area.

Yeah, its changed quite a bit. Southwest had doubled the size of the airport adding a whole new wing before you get to the old part of BWI.

The road will split before you get there. Drop off is up top and to the right. You want to go to baggage claim on the left hand side. When you get under the concrete, pull off on the right hand curb before you get to the Southwest exits and wait for your friend to call and tell you he's outside. Every once in a long while, cops will walk by and shoo you away. Just make the loop out back around and wait for him again.

Cell phone waiting is good, and the hourly parking isn't expensive. I do the hourly parking.

In fact I always park on the top level, not nearly as many cars, and you can get a good spot right by the door.

The traffic pattern has changed since you've been there. though.

~Bang

Just picked my daughter up there Monday night. Hourly parking is the way we decided to go. Wasnt expensive, was very convenient and we had Starbuck's while we waited in the terminal.

We debated the cell phone lot but ended up chosing hourly parking so we could get something to eat/drink, use the restrooms and wander around while we waited. we also had a 12 year old with us at that gets very restless sitting in one spot.

Just picked my daughter up there Monday night. Hourly parking is the way we decided to go. Wasnt expensive, was very convenient and we had Starbuck's while we waited in the terminal.

We debated the cell phone lot but ended up chosing hourly parking so we could get something to eat/drink, use the restrooms and wander around while we waited. we also had a 12 year old with us at that gets very restless sitting in one spot.

Well I'm meeting my mail order russian wife for the first time.. I'll probably be too nervous to eat..

Cell phone waiting area is your best bet. Or hell, spend 4 bucks and park in the short term parking, then meet your passenger in the terminal.

I'd do this too. If they have checked bags it's a crapshoot how long it will take. Might as well spend a few bucks, meet them at baggage claim rather than wait at some satellite area and maybe show up at the wrong kerb.

Archived