Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pakistan bans Facebook over Draw Muhammad Day, also ban Youtube

street_lyte

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8693200.stm ---- Facebook banned by Pakistan court

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/10130195.stm ---- Pakistan has blocked the popular video sharing website YouTube because of its "growing sacrilegious content".

---- Pakistan bans Facebook over Draw Muhammad Day

<---- VERY good video

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Everybody-Draw-Mohammed-Day/121369914543425 Facebook page seems to be back up, read the comments for LAWL's

Watch the youtube videos too, they are very well done and make a lot of good points concerning free speech as a whole, and the double-standard of Islams ability to sling venom and hate but none being able to come back in its direction.

I don't have a problem with any muslim country banning over this. Let's face it. drawing their prophet is strictly against their religion, right? So why do it? Just to piss them off? To show that we think it's stupid?

I think it was a bad idea from the get-go

~Bang

I don't have a problem with any muslim country banning over this. Let's face it. drawing their prophet is strictly against their religion, right? So why do it? Just to piss them off? To show that we think it's stupid?

I think it was a bad idea from the get-go

~Bang

Do you have problems with drawing negative cartoons of Jesus?

I fail to see what one has to do with the other. One is against a religion. the other is not nice, but as far as I know, not expressly forbidden.

Is it specifically against your religion for an image of Jesus to be drawn? (Remember, you can't even draw NICE pictures of Muhammad.. nevermind the notion that it must somehow be negative to anger everyone. Drawing his likeness is forbidden by their religion, not just drawing him badly.)

Do millions and millions of people get upset about it if you draw Jesus? (And not "kill you" upset, but enough to take to the streets and express their anger? )

Why is it always a competition? What's wrong with simple courtesy?

It's almost as if being courteous weakens us. Quite the opposite, in fact.

~Bang

I recently saw some artist depicting Jesus as a homosexual. It was quite possibly the most offensive thing Id ever seen, and I hope that artist's career doesnt earn him a penny. If a private entity like facebook were to ban him from posting his "art" on their page, and a public entity like the NEA were to declare his art as obscene and therefore unworthy of public funding, id be all for it. Does that answer your question?

Is it specifically against your religion? Do millions and millions of people get upset about it if you do? (And not "kill you" upset, but enough to take to the streets and express their anger? )

Why is it always a competition? What's wrong with simple courtesy?

~Bang

It isn't a competition, I was asking if you have a problem with or would you post pictures or find humor in "funny" pictures of Jesus?

BTW, it's a shame Facebook took the page down.

It isn't a competition, I was asking if you have a problem with or would you post pictures or find humor in "funny" pictures of Jesus?

BTW, it's a shame Facebook took the page down.

I guess that would depend on the picture. I thought the cartoon of Muhammad with the bomb in his turban was very clever.

They should take it down. Nothing good can come of it. Figure how much you'd like it if they put up an "everyone draw the Virgin Mary in a Threeway with a goat and a dog" page?

What is the difference?

~Bang

I guess that would depend on the picture. I thought the cartoon of Muhammad with the bomb in his turban was very clever.

They should take it down. Nothing good can come of it. Figure how much you'd like it if they put up an "everyone draw the Virgin Mary in a Threeway with a goat and a dog" page?

What is the difference?

~Bang

As an American, if people want to make funnies about Jesus, they can. I don't agree with it, and it hurts when I see it, however they will have to deal with the consequences and I am far from being in the position to condemn them for doing so.

As for Mohammed, I don't believe he is a god, was a god or will ever be a god, therefor I don't have a problem with people drawing him, with that said, I don't participate.

"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you".

Back in my college days, I worked part time in a third rate art store. The kind of place that sells bowls of fruit and velvet Elvises or crying clowns. One of the bigger sellers at that joint was a version of the Last Supper, but instead of Jesus and his Disciples they had seated at the table Elvis, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, etc.

One day, someone came in completely irate over this blasphemous and horrible depiction and how it was an abasement of God. They had a pretty good head of steam. Luckily for me, I'd also worked in crisis centers and psych wards and knew how to not add gas to the fire.

I said in a very calm placid voice that I didn't think it was a sacriledge on two levels. First, it is a parody of the Last Supper painting by Da Vinci and not of the actual Last Supper. For example, do you think in the real last Supper all the people there only sat on one side of the table? And two, I was taught that graven images aren't to be worshipped, that they are not holy in and of themselves. If you think that Da Vinci's depiction is sacred isn't that a form of idol worship?

We wound up talking for about twenty minutes after that in a bizzarely reasonable way about these things and when she actually bought something (though not that print)

So yeah, everyone gets worked up when something that they care deeply about is treated irreverently... sometimes it's valid and sometimes they need to get a clue.

As a non-Muslim, i do not feel bound to abide by the tenets of their religion. I feel the same way about Christianity. If it makes people upset, well, it happens.

Though "Draw Muhammad Day" could just as eaily be titled "Deliberately Piss Off Muslims Day." I don't really see a point, but thats true about 90% of the internet, with Facebook and Extremeskins being the torch bearers of pointlessness. :)

I can't express my feelings any better than this guy did in my OP so I'm going to post it again. I hope everyone here watches it, its only 4 minutes long, and packed with sound and reasonable arguments.

I would also like to echo what PleaseBlitz said above me.

I am not a Muslim.

I should not have to adhere to the policies of Islam. Many Musilims thinks the entire world should be subject to the beliefs and policies set forth by the Qu'ran. Sure, you could say some Christians are like this too, but you don't see Christians making countless death threats, congregating in angry mobs, entire countries banning parts of the internet, etc. You don't see Christians literally DEMANDING that anything derogatory written or said about them be retracted/erased, often with violent threats behind them.

Here in the USA I have the right to say what I want about Muhammad. Just because it is sure to infuriate others doesn't mean I can't do it, or even that I shouldn't do it, like some in here have suggested.

I think this whole "draw Muhammad day" is great, not because it's designed to anger Muslims, but because of what you are hearing Muslims say after being so infuriated. Read the comments on Facebook, it is just FILLED with violent threats towards us "non-believers."

It really exposes a lot of them, and shows how divided they really are when it comes to being peaceful or violent in the face of opposition.

For every person I see that writes "we are a people of peace, Muhammad teaches peace," etc..., I see another that is screaming for anyone who makes a picture to be killed and burn in hell.

I understand that Muhammad is extremely important to Muslims. That goes without saying. However, here is what everyone here must understand. We (mostly) live in a world where threats and violence are not tolerated, regardless of your intention. If slandering Muhammad is so offensive to Muslims that anyone who does so must be killed (just watch the youtube video and look at the COUNTLESS people who seem to believe that), then Islam is simply NOT COMPATIBLE with the western world.

I think this whole "draw Muhammad day" is great, not because it's designed to anger Muslims, but because of what you are hearing Muslims say after being so infuriated. Read the comments on Facebook, it is just FILLED with violent threats.

Read the FOX Miss USA thread. There is some truth to what you are writing, but there is an astounding number of angry idiots of every size, shape, color, and belief.

And draw Muhammad Day is stupid because it is provacative without a point. "Oh look! We can make people upset! How cool is that!" Is not a worthy mission. It's actually very easy to make people upset and say stupid things. It's kind of why I find so much stand up comedy today lame. Shock for the point of shock is not my thing.

And draw Muhammad Day is stupid because it is provacative without a point. "Oh look! We can make people upset! How cool is that!" Is not a worthy mission.

Exactly. I mean what is the point of it? Great you drew a picture of Muhammad, now what? Would there even be a draw Muhammad day if there wasn't the South Park controversy? I would say no.

Read the FOX Miss USA thread. There is some truth to what you are writing, but there is an astounding number of angry idiots of every size, shape, color, and belief.

And draw Muhammad Day is stupid because it is provacative without a point. "Oh look! We can make people upset! How cool is that!" Is not a worthy mission. It's actually very easy to make people upset and say stupid things. It's kind of why I find so much stand up comedy today lame. Shock for the point of shock is not my thing.

Some of the people who joined that site are there because they hate/want to piss off Muslims, some are there to celebrate and exercise their freedom of speech, consider me part of the latter.

Besides, this page is a blip in the much larger issue of religious intolerance using violence and intimidation as means to get message across, which for the most part, is pretty much exclusively Muslim. I can't think of any other religion that so forcibly demands anything opposing its beliefs be completely destroyed.

I can't think of any other religion that so forcibly demands anything opposing its beliefs be completely destroyed.

Fans of the Philadelphia Eagles? What's worse is that this violent religion is completely delusional. They pray at their Sunday altar and follow a god that has only led them to defeat and frustration. Their rituals are barbaric, coarse, and well let's just be honest... ugly. How they maintain their hostility and inbred life style is certainly worthy of anthropologic study. In some respects, you wonder if these rabid followers are like the Jews waiting for a messiah that never seems to come.

Fans of the Philadelphia Eagles? What's worse is that this violent religion is completely delusional. They pray at their Sunday altar and follow a god that has only led them to defeat and frustration. Their rituals are barbaric, coarse, and well let's just be honest... ugly. How they maintain their hostility and inbred life style is certainly worthy of anthropologic study. In some respects, you wonder if these rabid followers are like the Jews waiting for a messiah that never seems to come.

I see what you did there...:D

I see what you did there...:D

Heck, even the fans of the Oakland Raiders claim to be apalled at the Eagles' fans boorish and uncivilized behavior.

Back to the issue, it was a dumb stunt and if it were a dumb stunt perpetrated against my religion I would likely be upset and angry myself... or if done cleverly I would laugh... the line is at violence. It shouldn't go there, but honestly, the guys who wanted to provoke this reaction (and they knew it was coming) are pretty guilty themselves.

Archived