Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browns sign Suisham

bushwack

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818321eb&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Browns signed free-agent kicker Shaun Suisham on Tuesday and waived rookie kicker Leigh Tiffin.

Terms of the deal with Suisham, a five-year NFL veteran, weren't announced.

With veteran Phil Dawson skipping the team's voluntary workouts in an apparent contract dispute, the Browns needed a kicker. In comes Suisham, who spent last season with the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins, making 20 of 24 field-goal attempts.

The Redskins cut Suisham after he missed a 23-yard attempt during a Dec. 6 overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints. He also missed from 39 and 50 yards during a 7-6 loss to the Cowboys, who later signed him. Suisham also played in Dallas in 2005 and 2006.

Dawson, the second-leading scorer in Cleveland history, has been seeking a new contract for a few years. He also sat out last season's organized team activities.

If Dawson and the Browns fail to reach an agreement, and Suisham makes the team I could really see him fitting in well with the Browns because more than likely he won't have to make a kick with pressure involved and he'll be perfect for the Browns. Suisham was perfect (19-19) for the Skins last season when there was no pressure on him, but when there was the slightest bit of pressure he was (1-5) with the Skins and Cowboys. I'm glad we have Gano so we don't have to worry about Suisham blowing a game for the Skins again.

At least he is not a cowboy any more...(ever wonder why they are cowboys instead of cowmen?)

He was a Cowboy before he was a Redskin. I would loved to see the Cowboys keep him because he's horrible in clutch situations and he would just help the Cowboys fail. I don't know why your happy that he's no longer with Dallas?

As has been said, it's not like the Browns are gonna find themselves in the position to win a lot of games this year, so this is a great chance for Swishy to kick like, 95% with no pressure at all and fool some team into thinking he's actually good and signing him next year.

No cheering for him from me. The guy has been garbage the past couple of seasons. Nice guy, but is the opposite of clutch.

garbage? GARBAGE??? do you NOT remember last season when he was perfect on field goals for a long time? he was like...16/16 up until the game at Dallas the week before thanksgiving...when he was perfect on field goals last season, every redskins fan was cheering for him saying he was a star. now, people say hes garbage after coming off one of his best seasons kicking...

No cheering for him from me. The guy has been garbage the past couple of seasons. Nice guy, but is the opposite of clutch.

He made just over 80% of his field goals, best ever by a Redskin with more than 6 attempts, hardly garbage.

garbage? GARBAGE??? do you NOT remember last season when he was perfect on field goals for a long time? he was like...16/16 up until the game at Dallas the week before thanksgiving...when he was perfect on field goals last season, every redskins fan was cheering for him saying he was a star. now, people say hes garbage after coming off one of his best seasons kicking...

Honestly no one gives a damn about Suisham going 16 for 16 into the Dallas game. What people care about is Suisham missing a 30-yard field goal in the playoff game in '07 at Seattle, and then missing two key FGs in said Dallas game last year, and the straw that broke everyone's back was the 23-yard chip shot that cost the Skins the win vs. the Saints.

Suisham might still have a job with the Skins if he was 12 for 16, hell 10 for 16, going into the Dallas game and making the 2 big kicks to beat Dallas and then making the chip shot to beat New Orleans; however, Suisham proved he doesn't have the clutch gene and was rightfully cut last season.

He made just over 80% of his field goals, best ever by a Redskin with more than 6 attempts, hardly garbage.

I always think that stat's a tad skewed given the length of Redskin career of the two best kickers we've had in our rich history, Mosley and Chip. Would the Canucks % of been as high had he attempted the same # of kicks as those two over the duration? Law of averages say's your naturally gona' miss a bunch more to drop your overall % over time.

EVERY Redskin fan? :no:

Maybe the same ones that bought into the hype about Jason Campbell for league wide MVP 8 games into Zorn's first year when he'd done zero to justify it might of bought into the same hype with Suisham; but those that saw the bigger picture sure as heck didn't.

The dudes the polar opposite of "clutch." And it's not just from long range were his weak leg often showed up in glaring technicolor, but some of his pressure close range chip shot misses had to be seen to be believed. And just how much extra pressure did he continually place on the D with his woefully short kick-off's and subsequent great field position for opposing O's?

Yes, he improved from the previous shocking year last year; but seriously, at ANY time during his tenure here did you feel TOTALLY confident he'd make the kick when he took to the field?

Hail.

I always think that stat's a tad skewed given the length of Redskin career of the two best kickers we've had in our rich history, Mosley and Chip. Would the Canucks % of been as high had he attempted the same # of kicks as those two over the duration? Law of averages say's your naturally gona' miss a bunch more to drop your overall % over time.

The stat is skewed more by era than it is by # of attempts. Moseley and Lohmiller played in years where an 80% make rate for field goals was extremely good. These days 80% signifies a below average season for a kicker.

Oh... and technically the law of averages would imply that if Suisham goes on a hot streak, the odds are good that he would go on an equivalent cold streak that would bring his average back to his career 79%. It wouldn't suggest that his FG % would plummet over more kicks, particularly seeing as his average has been pretty consistent on over 100 career attempts.

EVERY Redskin fan? :no:

Maybe the same ones that bought into the hype about Jason Campbell for league wide MVP 8 games into Zorn's first year when he'd done zero to justify it might of bought into the same hype with Suisham; but those that saw the bigger picture sure as heck didn't.

The dudes the polar opposite of "clutch." And it's not just from long range were his weak leg often showed up in glaring technicolor, but some of his pressure close range chip shot misses had to be seen to be believed. And just how much extra pressure did he continually place on the D with his woefully short kick-off's and subsequent great field position for opposing O's?

Yes, he improved from the previous shocking year last year; but seriously, at ANY time during his tenure here did you feel TOTALLY confident he'd make the kick when he took to the field?

Hail.

to be honest, last season i actually did feel pretty confident whenever he would go onto the field. also, i'm definitely not one of the people that was calling campbell an mvp in zorns first year with us. but thats for another thread altogether lol

He was a Cowboy before he was a Redskin. I would loved to see the Cowboys keep him because he's horrible in clutch situations and he would just help the Cowboys fail. I don't know why your happy that he's no longer with Dallas?

yeah i was excited when he went back to dallas..and of course he missed a clutch field goal for them right when he got there!!! first game i think!!! poor ole "swish"

yeah, except for when he was 16/16 on field goals last season. he didnt fail at that time. plus, remember the game against the rams? where did all our 9 points come from? shaun suisham ;)
We're not knocking Suisham for just kicking it, he was able to do so when there was no pressure on him to make things happen.

In pressure situations, he rarely came through. You could almost always count on him to fail.

Plus .. the Rams game? Would you consider the Rams game a pressure situation?

Suisham showed promise, but he was the opposite of clutch for us.

Archived