Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Orakpo Wants to Be a 'Ball Hawk'

authentic

click for the rest

“I have a lot more confidence,” Orakpo said. “I have a lot more of a leadership role just pushing guys, guys working hard and trying to get better than what we were last year.

"Last year I was coming into a situation where I didn’t know where I was going to be. I found out I was coming to the Redskins and was just trying to get my feet wet.

“Now, I’m one of the premiere guys so I’ve got to bring it. I’ve got to bring it again, improve on my game and try to help this team get better.”

Last season, Orakpo was voted to the Pro Bowl as a rookie. He was the first Redskins rookie to make the Pro Bowl since 1978.

Orakpo, the Redskins’ 2009 first-round draft pick (13th overall), lined up at both linebacker and defensive end. His responsibilities included rushing the passer and dropping back in coverage, depending on the down, distance and play call.

Orakpo finished his rookie season with 60 tackles and he tied Andre Carter for the team lead in sacks with 11.

He had just one forced fumble, a stat that caught the attention of defensive coordinator Jim Haslett.

As a pass-rusher with good speed and athleticism, Orakpo should have had more than one forced fumble, Haslett said.

“He had 11 sacks, but he didn’t [force many] turnovers, he didn’t get many balls out,” Haslett said. “He’s left-handed and we have to teach him to chop.”

Orakpo said he has spent time this offseason studying pass rushers Dwight Freeney of the Indianapolis Colts and James Harrison of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I look at a lot of guys who are really ball hawks, really know how to get the ball out of the quarterback’s hand and create big plays,” Orakpo said. “I’m a guy who likes to make tackles, so I’ve got to work on being a little more relentless as far as being a ball hawk and getting the ball out. I plan on really improving next season.”

Orakpo is a big fan of Haslett, who was linebacker in the NFL for eight seasons, mostly with the Buffalo Bills, before entering the coaching ranks.

“You can relate to him,” Orakpo said. “He played this game. He played it at linebacker and he was a huge force for his teams. He’s a guy that comes in with so much energy and so much passion for the game--we can relate to that.

“That’s one thing I respect, and one thing a lot of players respect, is when a coach is not sitting on top of a pedestal where you can’t really reflect or really talk to him. Coach Haslett is a guy who is just like us. He’s a player’s coach.”

“I have a lot more confidence,” Orakpo said. “I have a lot more of a leadership role just pushing guys, guys working hard and trying to get better than what we were last year.

"Last year I was coming into a situation where I didn’t know where I was going to be. I found out I was coming to the Redskins and was just trying to get my feet wet.

“Now, I’m one of the premiere guys so I’ve got to bring it. I’ve got to bring it again, improve on my game and try to help this team get better.”

Been in the league 1 year and he's already trying to be a leader.

Love this guy!

I do like Orakpo and his ethic.

But if he wants to be a ball hawk his pass coverage was a weak spot last season. Granted he does not have to be a DB but you still have to draw a little respect.

And one forced fumble can easily improved on.

I do like Orakpo and his ethic.

But if he wants to be a ball hawk his pass coverage was a weak spot last season. Granted he does not have to be a DB but you still have to draw a little respect.

And one forced fumble can easily improved on.

I hear you, but how often does Ware or Merriman drop back in coverage? The point is that he was most certainly misused last year and still got 11 sacks. I don't know what Blache was thinking not having him rush the passer on almost every down.

I hear you, but how often does Ware or Merriman drop back in coverage? The point is that he was most certainly misused last year and still got 11 sacks. I don't know what Blache was thinking not having him rush the passer on almost every down.

Good point. He was misused. dropping him back was not a good idea and it did show when they did.

But he does need to be more aggressive to the ball...Anybody good enough to get 11 sacks should probably get more than one forced fumble, don't you think? I am not trying to be negative, just saying that great could be greater pretty easily.

Because the other team didn't pass every down?

Just messing with ya. Personally,(in looking back),I think Blache and crew over thought things with Brian. Sometimes,football really can be a simple game. On those obvious passing downs for sure,just line him up and let him do what he does best. Wreak havoc. And then on other plays when it's not so obvious,let him do the same. Wreak havoc.

he wasnt talkin about a ball hawk as in interceptions, but more like dwight freeney, getting the ball out the qb hands, meaning sacks leading to fumbles. well thats what i took from it. he said he likes to tackle, so he gotta be more relentless getting the ball out.

anyways, i love orakpo and he will be NASTY for years to come. i love his work ethic, his skillset, his talent, an his name. OSAKPO LETS GET IT

Well he is acting like the leader, because Haslett has already made him the leader by saying he is the "cornerstone" of the defense. I always thought it was easy to knock the ball out of the QB hand when sacking the QB, but defensive players rarely get to the QB so they are just happy with sacking the QB. That is why I like James Harrison, because he goes for the strip everytime and that is what I want Orakpo to turn into. A guy that can get to the QB and cause the fumble at the same time. Just hope Andre "Buttafinngaz" Carter is not there to scoop it up.

But he does need to be more aggressive to the ball...Anybody good enough to get 11 sacks should probably get more than one forced fumble, don't you think? I am not trying to be negative, just saying that great could be greater pretty easily.

No, I agree with this. Thats one area that he could improve on. But thats an improvement that i can live with. I think he has the most important aspect locked down, and thats getting to the QB. Now he just needs to learn to finish the play. The one thing that frustrated me with him last year was that he had quite a few opportunites to make a play (either for more sacks or to strip the ball) but was a split second too late. Perhaps it was just due to technique. Besides that, i think he's going to be a great in the league very soon.

he wasnt talkin about a ball hawk as in interceptions, but more like dwight freeney, getting the ball out the qb hands, meaning sacks leading to fumbles. well thats what i took from it. he said he likes to tackle, so he gotta be more relentless getting the ball out.

anyways, i love orakpo and he will be NASTY for years to come. i love his work ethic, his skillset, his talent, an his name. OSAKPO LETS GET IT

That's what I got from it as well. Initially I thought he was talking about INTs, but after reading the full article it was obvious he was talking about forcing more fumbles and turnovers.

Had no idea Rak was left handed. Completely irrelevant, but still interesting lol

Very relevant, if you consider the subject of the article: ball-hawking defined as stripping the ball from a QB. A left-handed player rushing from the right side has a distinct advantage and should be able to strip more balls, is Haslett's point.

Well if our D coach plans on having him rush the passer +600 times the season (compared to the +200 times he did it last year), I see absolutely no reason he can't break 11 sacks.

The fumbles will come. Learning to "chop" at the QBs arms won't be too hard to learn. Or he could just make them puke the ball up the old fashion way and DDT them into the ground!

Very relevant, if you consider the subject of the article: ball-hawking defined as stripping the ball from a QB. A left-handed player rushing from the right side has a distinct advantage and should be able to strip more balls, is Haslett's point.

I think that you could also include running backs. He would be able to attack the ball from the inside pushing out versus trying to find a way in from the outside around a (right-handed) backs body. Provided the back is foolish enough to run in his direction.

I don't know why Haslett was surprised by the 1 FF, it was a Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah coached defense. We've seen nothing but highly ranked defenses in terms of yardage but crap where it counts (sacks/forcing turnovers) for years now. Even a guy as talented as Rak got infected with the disease.

No, I agree with this. Thats one area that he could improve on. But thats an improvement that i can live with. I think he has the most important aspect locked down, and thats getting to the QB. Now he just needs to learn to finish the play. The one thing that frustrated me with him last year was that he had quite a few opportunites to make a play (either for more sacks or to strip the ball) but was a split second too late. Perhaps it was just due to technique. Besides that, i think he's going to be a great in the league very soon.

I can't count on how many "near misses" he had but a lot of those can be attributed to being a rookie and, as you mentioned, technique. He also seemed a little reluctant (at times) to finish plays that another player had started. However, with his clear commitment to improving, having one year under his belt, and having a coach that seems to recognize his strengths (and is willing to take advantage of them), I think many of those issues will be addressed. We have all seen what he can do when he has a full head of steam( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AglSpWWkGbE ), which he will a lot more often in this defense.

Think about how bad the training staff was last year and how much its supposed to be improved now. If the training is really that much better then we can def expect Orakpo to be stronger, quicker, and be able to sustain his high level of play. If this happens as well as the Hasslet coaching to his strength we can definetly expect a great year from him.

Archived