Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FN: Arizona Official Threatens to Cut Off Los Angeles Power as Payback for Boycott

btfoom

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/arizona-official-threatens-cut-los-angeles-power-payback-boycott/

If Los Angeles wants to boycott Arizona, it had better get used to reading by candlelight.

That's the message from a member of Arizona's top government utilities agency, who threw down the gauntlet Tuesday in a letter to Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa by threatening to cut off the city's power supply as retribution.

Gary Pierce, a commissioner on the five-member Arizona Corporation Commission, wrote the letter in response to the Los Angeles City Council's decision last week to boycott the Grand Canyon State -- in protest of its immigration law -- by suspending official travel

there and ending future contracts with state businesses.

Noting that a quarter of Los Angeles' electricity comes from Arizona power plants, Pierce threatened to pull the plug if the City Council does not reconsider. He also ridiculed Villaraigosa for saying that the point of the boycott was to "send a message" by severing the "resources and ties" they share.

"I received your message; please receive mine. As a statewide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona's electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the 'resources and ties' we share with the city of Los Angeles," Pierce wrote.

"If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation." <rest at link>

I actually think that is pretty good. We'll see how much of California's 'boycott' is real and how much was just good old political posturing.

Ah, politics at its finest

LA: "We hate your Arizona, so we're gonna boycott everything you would normally sell to us! (except electricity and water naturally)"

AZ: "Oh, so when you said 'everything' you didn't actually mean everything? Well here, we'll help you not be hypocrites (insert middle finger here)!"

People of LA and AZ: "Wait, what the hell is going on now??"

:ols: Pretty funny response (although completely impossible to actually do, I imagine).

Let the pissing match continue!

I agree, I think both responses are more posturing than anything, I just thought it was pretty funny to see.

The payback to California is to cost yourself billions of dollars of lost revenues? Is that like cutting off your nose to spite your face?

I wonder what they will do to the other major cities (like Seattle) who have also threatened to boycott? Shut down all the Starbucks?

There is always a market for energy

Only survey I've seen from Seattle shows 60% supporting Arizona:ols:

People are fun to watch

added

this online one might be a bit biased..or not

http://www.kirotv.com/surveyresults/23578405/detail.html?section=news&coid=23578405

There is always a market for energy

Only survey I've seen from Seattle shows 60% supporting Arizona:ols:

This is true. Arizona would have no trouble finding a user for the excess energy should it ever come to that.

Totally ridiculous. The Federal Government should have dealt with this problem years ago so that it never would have had to come to this.

This is true. Arizona would have no trouble finding a user for the excess energy should it ever come to that.

Umm, no they wouldn't. Electricity is not storable, and it loses an ever incresing percentage of its power the further it is transported. Those dams were designed to send electricity to LA, and if that electricity is not sold to LA, it will simply go to waste. You can't just ship it to St. Louis.

Totally ridiculous. The Federal Government should have dealt with this problem years ago so that it never would have had to come to this.

On this you are absolutely correct. Of course, every completely disagrees on HOW the Feds should deal with this problem, which in large part explains the inaction.

Perhaps I'm in business mode but this seems like a huge mistake on the part of that idiot from Arizona.

1 - He has forced LA to try to find an alternative power supply. Why? Leaders have to take threats seriously. A threat was made and they are going to have to start working on a plan B. If they don't and AZ actually manages to try something this stupid they would have to answer why they didn't react earlier. I can promise you that the question "where else can we get power" has already popped up in a city planning meeting.

2 - LA is far more likely to find a different source for power than Arizona is likely to get away with leaving part of a city in the dark.

There is no upside to this threat. The only thing he's done is motivated someone currently sending dollars to AZ to send them elsewhere. AZ has now moved past AK on my list of states that should be traded to foreign countries in exchange for golf courses and discount travel. Let's face it no one needs to travel to AZ. It's a retirement desert. I have already seen planned corporate events being moved out of Phoenix, it's just too controversial. Why deal with offended clients/members/investors when you can just go somewhere else?

Umm, no they wouldn't. Electricity is not storable, and it loses an ever incresing percentage of its power the further it is transported. Those dams were designed to send electricity to LA, and if that electricity is not sold to LA, it will simply go to waste. You can't just ship it to St. Louis.

I don't agree. I grant you, some modification would have to take place but the reality is that Eastern States are dying for Energy now. So are Western States. The cost associated with redirecting energy to other parts of the US would be paid for in spades if it ever came to that. Short term, there may be some issues but in the long run, I don't see any way Arizona would lose money.

Sure, it would hurt LA, but the loss of revenues might also absolutely cripple Arizona. Talk about a lose-lose situation.

Honestly, I don't think it would work that way. I think what would happen is that Arizona would sell that power to Nevada or Utah or Washington and whatever state/states bought it would bump the price and turn around and sell it to California. Arizona would increase cost to cover anyproduction expense increases and whoever bought it would bump the price to California. Arizona would make out, whichever state purchased the energy would make out and California would pay more because they can't go without the Power.

That's how I suspect it might work out if it ever happened. However, I think it's a lot of hot wind at this point.

That's how I suspect it might work out if it ever happened. However, I think it's a lot of hot wind at this point.
What Arizona should really do is sell the power to Mexico. Then illegal immigrants can put it into the back of pickup trucks and smuggle it in to California.

What are they going to do to Columbus?

Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman has banned city-worker travel to Arizona because of that state's new law allowing police to demand documentation from anyone they suspect is in the country illegally.

"The mayor will not be approving any travel to Arizona," spokesman Dan Williamson said this morning.

"He agrees with those who want to send a message to the state of Arizona that this is not the American way."

Already, he has rejected a request from the city's technology director to attend a seminar in Phoenix, Williamson said.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/05/19/Columbus-mayor-bans-city-travel-to-Arizona.html?sid=101

These are cities that make the paper. Private companies are going to be staying away as well for fear of entering into a political debate that offers no upside. Why hold a conference in Phoenix right now? You can go many other places and not worry about any backlash at all.

What Arizona should really do is sell the power to Mexico. Then illegal immigrants can put it into the back of pickup trucks and smuggle it in to California.

And this is why America is great. That enterprising "Can Do" attitude.

:ols:

Archived