Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"the good guys" on fox

Hooper

Pretty good start Hoop...I enjoyed it and I think if the other episodes follow suit you'll have a winner on your hands. I can see the Assassin who had a change of heart becoming a recurring character. It was SWEET when Hanks and Whitford take off after the heavies in the pontiac with AC/DC blaring. It was good enough that I can even get over the fact it's set in Dallas... I'm only one viewer, but I'm on board!

I enjoy it as well, It got a little slow in places, but that is a given for any show to develop characters. I love the heavy drinking and fraternizing with women by Stark, hilarious.

Thanks, guys. I'm in Dallas right now, prepping to shoot my second episode. I keep trying to slip Redskin references in (I tried to name a character Detective Cooley in my first episode) but they keep getting nixed by standards and practices.

Nice. :ols:

Sorry I missed the show. I'll watch for it in the future.

Congrats on just getting to this point. That's a major achievement. How long have you been writing for TV? Is this your "first big break"? You've got to fill us in a little. It seems like such a cool gig.

Edit: It's showing again Monday at 9:00. I set my DVR to record.

I'm in the middle of the Pilot -- great show. I'm really enjoying it. I have a feeling it'll only get better. Really like both of the lead actors.

EDIT: The scene where Collin Hanks completely unloads on the assassin and then says: "Not even one?" was pretty classic :)

EDIT2: And the running gag of Stark butchering humidifier is pretty funny as well.

Great work, Hooper! Definitely TV worth watching :)

Thanks, guys. The ratings kinda sucked last night but I try not to worry about stuff I can't control. The show costs very little to produce so Fox is going to give us a lot of time to build some kind of audience over the summer. The first episode I wrote airs June 21st I think.

In Dallas shooting my second episode right now -- long but fun day today.

And Mad Mike, I've been making a living as a writer for about eight years now. It was all in features before -- I sold a bunch of scripts that never got made into movies for various reasons. This is my first TV experience -- to be honest, it is just nice to be on set and to work with the crew and the actors.

Thanks again, guys.

• 3 weeks later...
And Mad Mike, I've been making a living as a writer for about eight years now. It was all in features before -- I sold a bunch of scripts that never got made into movies for various reasons. This is my first TV experience -- to be honest, it is just nice to be on set and to work with the crew and the actors.

That's cool. I always had a bug in the back of my head to try script writing but without training I never knew where to begin. I even bought one of those instructional videos by Syd Field from the writers store. But I never seemed to have the time to devote to it. I still get emails from storylink.

I actually have a movie script idea that I'd love to pitch to you but I would need to do do it in such a way as to protect my idea. Nothing personal you understand but I honestly believe this idea is gold and I need to protect it. You probably hear things like that all the time, but I swear, if you hear this story and don't think it could be a huge hit, I'll send you $20. :silly: I'll just say this... It's a love story with sadness, drama, comedy, and action. It has stunning visual aspects. And I know the setting well enough to bring authenticity to the story. I have 80% of the plot figured out and most of the key scenes burned into my brain. All I need is a talented co writer who can help me thrash it out, format it, and pitch it to the studios.

PM me if you are interested. :D

BTW - I saw the pilot and I thought the premise, writing and acting were all great. My only real issue was with the production value. It's hard to put a finger on it but it felt like a low budget show. Other than that, I would maybe punch up the comedy aspect a little more. At times, I couldn't tell if the show was trying to be a drama or comedy. Like it wasn't sure of it's own identity. But I really think that's more a matter of direction than anything else. I'm looking forward to seeing the next episode.

:cheers:

My only real issue was with the production value.

Tell me about it. We have a cable budget and it often shows. Kills me.

As far as your idea goes, the best advice -- and the only advice I feel qualified to give -- is to simply strap your butt to a chair and write it. I know it may not seem like it based on what's on TV and in the multiplex, but great ideas are a dime a dozen in Hollywood and hold very little currency if you're not a writer way more successful than me and/or have a big star attached. Sadly, studios aren't interested in ideas -- they're interested in something they can market to the masses in a very simple way.

So if you're truly passionate about your idea, you should try writing it yourself. You can make the time. The first script I sold was written in the early morning before my crappy 9-5 job and while I sat in my car during lunch. Heck, Scott Turow manages to write novels -- great novels -- while practicing law full-time.

Good luck. HTTR

• 2 weeks later...

Hooper -- caught another episode tonight. It's still clicking. Great, great show. The 'stache is iconic.

Unfortunately, I'm getting Andy Barker PI vibes. Great show, great sense of humor, just may not be quite dumb enough and slick enough to keep the masses entertained. Hope I'm definitely wrong. Definitely something I look forward to watching.

Has any of your writing made it into the episodes aired so far?

Hooper -- caught another episode tonight. It's still clicking. Great, great show. The 'stache is iconic.

Unfortunately, I'm getting Andy Barker PI vibes. Great show, great sense of humor, just may not be quite dumb enough and slick enough to keep the masses entertained. Hope I'm definitely wrong. Definitely something I look forward to watching.

Has any of your writing made it into the episodes aired so far?

ah, Andy Barker. Such a shame that show never got a chance. 6 great episodes, but canceled after only showing 2.

My only real issue was with the production value. It's hard to put a finger on it but it felt like a low budget show.

:cheers:

I actually thought the "low production value" vibe was intentional. It gives the show the feel of a misplaced 70's cop show.

Having seen 2 episodes, I've found the show to be a lot of fun. I hope it lasts, but the way networks cancel shows, I've learned not to hold my breath.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. The gunshots between scenes are annoying and add nothing to the show. My wife refuses to watch it because of them.

I like it. It is my kind of tv (something you don't have to think about. You can just sit back and enjoy it, and then forget about it until the next episode.)

The only thing I would say is there is a fine boarder between funny dumb and just annoying. For example, the "stand off" between him and the computer when his partner is "kidnapped". For a little bit, it is funny, but to much of it is just dumb to the point that it is annoying.

Resolving that situation a little faster IMO would be better.

Thanks for watching, guys. I wrote last week's episode -- the one where Dan gets sick.

Yeah, our ratings stink but Fox is going to stick with us because our budget is a million dollars less than the average network drama so it takes very little for them to turn a profit off us.

Overall, I'm enjoying the experience. It's not my show so I can only control so much, but I'm learning a ton.

Again, thanks for watching.

Question.

Are they ever going to get past the stage of just responding to small crimes just to end up solving some big case? I've enjoyed every episode so far but I cant see the same thing happening over and over.

Yes. Thank God.

Thanks for watching, guys. I wrote last week's episode -- the one where Dan gets sick.

Yeah, our ratings stink but Fox is going to stick with us because our budget is a million dollars less than the average network drama so it takes very little for them to turn a profit off us.

Overall, I'm enjoying the experience. It's not my show so I can only control so much, but I'm learning a ton.

Again, thanks for watching.

Just finished watching your show. Best one yest!

Nicely done, thanks, and keep em coming!

Archived