Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone use AIM anymore?

Heisenberg

It's crazy.

Up until a few years ago I had a buddy list numbering in the hundreds with seemingly half or more of them logged on at any given time.

Nowadays when I look at my buddy list virtually nobody is logged in so I have pretty much followed and no longer really use it.

I'm guessing facebook chat and gchat must have taken away a ton of users but I'm still amazed by how much it changed in such a short time period.

I use Digsby which lets me sign onto aim and facebook, though I typically don't keep my facebook account signed into the chat service because then people expect you to actually be browsing facebook.

For the most part, SMS text messaging has killed traditional instant messaging program services.

I don't use a lot of messaging services anymore. AIM used to be the popular one but it seems to have dropped off a lot amongst my friends. Whenever I check in there's usually only a couple of people on. I somewhat attributed it to the fact that most of the people on my list I knew in college and people were online a lot more then. Most people I keep in contact with (via messengers) use MSN.

I logged on for this first time in over a year last week. There may have been like 4 or 5 people on. I remember back in college when EVERYONE was on 24/7. But now that more of my friends have jobs and with text messaging being just as quick and easy, IM isn't my choice of communication anymore.

I remember back in college when EVERYONE was on 24/7.

Yep, that was the only way to communicate in college. If someone wasn't logged on, either it was Christmas break, or they were dead. I hardly even used a phone, it was all AIM. I don't think I've logged on since maybe 2004.

Archived