Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TW: Tulsa police discuss patrols near Chicken Hut

China

Tulsa police discuss patrols near Chicken Hut

A second shooting in less than three months at a late-night restaurant in north Tulsa has created difficulty for local police suffering from recent cutbacks.

The Chicken Hut, 1500 E. Apache St., can draw large crowds on weekends, staying up a few hours past midnight and serving people after bars close.

At about 3:30 a.m. Sunday, three people were shot outside the restaurant. All were taken to a hospital by private vehicle and are expected to survive their injuries. Several bullet casings of three calibers were found at the scene, suggesting multiple shooters, police said.

“We’re going to try to put some more manpower to it,” Tulsa Police Major Tracie Lewis said Monday. “The problem is, I don’t have more manpower.”

Two of this weekend’s victims, Vernon Hill, 24, and Andre King, 31, have previous felony convictions in Tulsa County. The other victim was 23-year-old Murray Wooten. On Feb. 28, Valentino Verner, 27, was shot to death outside the restaurant at about 3:30 in the morning. The shooting is still under investigation.

Police officials and emergency workers who tried to treat Verner denounced the behavior of the crowd at Chicken Hut, saying patrons got in the way of officials and stepped over Verner’s body to get their food from the takeout window.

Of the more than 100 people present during Verner’s shooting, none called 911 and none gave any information to police investigators.

Click on the link for the full article

Lots of un-PC things that could be said here, but I'll just stick with this:

When I worked in law-enforcement, we would camp out near the Waffle House after the bars closed. It just makes sense to have an increased presence where you know you're going to have lots of drunk people and other combustible elements.

Archived