Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey/R.Johnson.....

NoCalMike

Is it me or does it seem there are some majory differences in the schemes used for these guys? When Ramsey was in, every other play was an audible, also it would be, pass pass pass, run, pass pass pass.....Yet when Rob got in there it was more of a "realistic" game plan with the run setting up the pass. I am not sure what to make of this except that maybe Spurrier thinks Ramsey just needs the PASSING reps rather than stuff like handing the ball off every other play. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think Ramsey is the better QB and no way in hell do I want Rob on the field in the regular season, I just feel that when he has played in the preseason, the scheme itself has made a lot more sense.....What does everyone else make of this?

Your insight is on. Ramsey needs to be about 4 months up to speed in 2. His off season work countered the bugs. He now needs fine tuning with game plans in real situations, along with finding the open and hitting the open receivers.

Correct. Rob Johnson is actually running some game plan situations that focus more on the "real" scheme of things.

I think this is accurate.

Ramsey needs passing reps. He needs play after play after play of dropping back, looking at a defense and pulling the trigger on a pass. Nothing that Johnson did and none of the plays he had called for him were particularly realistic though within this offense. Last year only one game, the Rams game, can we be said to have predicated the offense on the running game. Every other game, including the Houston game where we had 16 rushes consecutively at one point, were based on the pass opening up the run.

That is what this offense is designed around. Open the field early with pass plays and then hammer the run in after the defense has to respect the pass. If the defense has to respect the pass then you're golden. If it doesn't, then your done. You saw this with Matthews in many games last year.

I wouldn't make a lot out of this observation though. Seems a pretty straightforward situation where you need to get your young guy reps in the passing game that he missed in the first game.

This comment will find the ire of most people on this board, but I will say it anyways. Rob Johnson is probably every bit as good, or better, than Ramsey at this point. I suspect this will change with time. RJ does offer a nice skill set- he has mobility, a better pocket feel than I ever thought, and a really accurate arm. He'll always, it seems, have a tendency to hold the ball for too long and that's his achilles heel as a player.

I agree w/ Art. I think the preseason to this point has been about giving Ramsey opportunity to throw the football. Let's face it, it's quite easy to pivot and handoff to a runningback. Spurrier is calling primarily passing plays so that Ramsey gets a chance to drop back and go through his "deep to short" progressions. Unfortunately, the offensive line has not gelled to the point where he can sit back there with time to throw. That will come.... HOPEFULLY... later in the preseason.

I think the comment about Johnson being as good as Ramsey is at this point is accurate. We're starting Ramsey (aside from his draft status) because we expect him to be better.

However, Ramsey is still better than Johnson in one key area: he gets rid of the ball faster.

But I too agree with the analysis. Last night - and I'd expect this in the remaining two games as well - was about getting Patrick his reps, precisely what Spurrier said he was going to do prior to the game.

Originally posted by codeorama

I agree with Art and the others that have said that this is just about Ramsey getting reps.

Yeah, me too. I really do think that Ramsey and Spurrier need to get more coordinated in respect to getting the play called with enough time for Ramsey to call an audible at the line as he sees fit. This coming to the line with 10 sec. on the playclock and then trying to swicth the play isn't going to get it done.

Originally posted by speedwagon20

It has to be intentional...Ramsey threw 24 passes in the first half. I dont expect that 50 passes per game would be the norm even for Spurrier....

I don't know...look at some of the games teams like the Raiders and Steelers produced last year. It was ALL passing in those games.

But, I agree, that I like the game plan when RJ was in there. I certainly hope that's what our offense will mirror come September 4th.

Archived