Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Define "Cheesy" metal

PokerPacker

People love to label some music as "cheesy", but when asked about it, I have never been able to get a straight answer. I get the impression its lyrical content, but even then, what exactly is considered "cheesy" lyrics? Assuming this thread catches any interest, I may post a few songs and see what kind of "cheese" ratings they get and maybe someone can explain why they get those ratings.

So, what makes metal "cheesy"?

People love to label some music as "cheesy", but when asked about it, I have never been able to get a straight answer. I get the impression its lyrical content, but even then, what exactly is considered "cheesy" lyrics? Assuming this thread catches any interest, I may post a few songs and see what kind of "cheese" ratings they get and maybe someone can explain why they get those ratings.

So, what makes metal "cheesy"?

Any studio recording that samples crowd noise.

All hair metal.

Any metal where the drummer has 2 kick drums and only uses one (especially if the drums are greater than 26" in diameter).

Cheesy is just plain inauthentic. When something comes along that's so far removed from it's original roots, values and intentions that it sounds cliched. For instance, today's punk has not an ounce of rebellion in it.

EDIT: I should add that it sounds so cliched or stereotyped that it makes you laugh.

well its uh kinda goofy over the top type thing....i like the one the guy put up there a song about how awesome it is to rock !! lol ya know check out a few power metal videos.. some folks in the metal head thread left some examples of cheese ball bands

Don't take offense PokerPacker, you like what you like. I think lyrical content is part of the reason music (power metal in your situation), is considered cheesy.

I consider power metal cheesy because it all has the same big choruses, keyboards, power chords, and double base techniques. The lyrics are all the same. Every song seems like it was written while watching LOTR or Willow. I also find this music very predictable. You always know what is going to happen next. The Dragon has been slain, thus we must feast!!

It is easier to give examples bands such as Blind Guardian, Elvenking, and Edguy are cheesy.

Cheesy is just plain inauthentic. When something comes along that's so far removed from it's original roots, values and intentions that it sounds cliched. For instance, today's punk has not an ounce of rebellion in it.

EDIT: I should add that it sounds so cliched or stereotyped that it makes you laugh.

Exactly, great post. Inauthentic is a great word for it.

I like the band Social Distortion-- they've been around (or at least Mike Ness has) for many years. One time I was at one of their shows, and before belting out one of their earliest songs, Ness said, "this song is from a time when punk rock was dangerous."

Don't take offense PokerPacker, you like what you like. I think lyrical content is part of the reason music (power metal in your situation), is considered cheesy.

The thing is not everything in a genre has the same lyrical contents

I consider power metal cheesy because it all has the same big choruses, keyboards, power chords, and double base techniques.

That sounds more like you just not liking power metal, rather than particular music being cheesy

The lyrics are all the same. Every song seems like it was written while watching LOTR or Willow. I also find this music very predictable. You always know what is going to happen next. The Dragon has been slain, thus we must feast!!

Rhapsody of Fire, I would say is very LOTR-esque, but they get a pass (from me) because they are actually telling a story on of the same epic proportions. It isn't some random songs thrown together all about dragons and what-not. Each song of each album is going towards telling two interconnected sagas.

However, For the most part, other bands really aren't like that.

I mean, I can see where some cheese comments come from for some bands. Dragonforce? Totally deserved. I mean, I love the music, but its completely cheesy. I can deal with that.

It is easier to give examples bands such as Blind Guardian, Elvenking, and Edguy are cheesy.

I never got into Blind Guardian or Elvenking, but how is Edguy considered cheesy other than a few select songs they put out for fun?

Here is a song from Edguy, and I'd like to have a cheese analysis of it.

5YTiXYbgHPU

I don't feel like reading the metal thread right now, could someone provide me with some examples of bands that people were calling cheesy?

here, let me post my list that got the "cheese" label:

Dream Evil

Edguy

Heavenly

Rhapsody of Fire (I can certainly see where they would get the cheese label)

Freedom Call

Falconer

Warmen

Axenstar

Dark Moor

Firewind

Galneryus

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

here, let me post my list that got the "cheese" label:

Dream Evil

Edguy

Heavenly

Rhapsody of Fire (I can certainly see where they would get the cheese label)

Freedom Call

Falconer

Warmen

Axenstar

Dark Moor

Firewind

Galneryus

I'm following you now. If I had to pick two bands that are the cheesiest of all "metal bands", I would go with Gwar and Genitorturous. Talk about pathetic, the only reason why they sell tickets is because people want to see the show but their music flat out sucks.

As long as you don't think I'm the man is cheesy!

Yep, is that the one with Run DMC? That one and the Aerosmith song. LoL

I know a lot of people liked it at the time though, for some reason I didn't enjoy it.

Archived