Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Students kicked out for wearing American flags on 5/5

Spaceman Spiff

That would be valid if the kids were wearing shirts that said **** Mexico or something similar.

Like Soccer Sux but then 97.5% of US Citizens would agree with the kids wearing those T shirts.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.
Bandannas on their heads? We weren't even allowed to wear hats.

Who wears American flag bandannas anyways?

get_a_brain_morans.jpg

:silly:

The Vice-Principal probably overreacted, but it doesn't sound like the kids got into any actual trouble. No suspension, no real punishment, and on seis de mayo, everything was back to normal.

Don't you think these kids past behavior could come into play when something like this arises. If they are "high fly-ers" and are always in trouble, then yes, I think it's warranted.

If not, then you're 100% correct.

Absolutely not. What those students did is constitutionally protected and backed up by the Supreme Court. I don't care if they were drug dealers, because what they did in this particular incident was not wrong.

I am sorry but I could care LESS if they were OFFENDED by someone showing their American pride and supporting the Red White And Blue. I mean for all they knew maybe they had families fighting over seas or maybe they were celebrating say someone they knew in the armed forces that died? I know it's a stretch but you never know!

This is what's wrong with the country everyone wants to be Politically Correct every second of the day - nope sorry - when it comes to our damn flag if you have a problem with it kiss my damn ass

Disgusting. You can't even wear a shirt showing the American flag in your own country! Cinco De Mayo people need to get over it. This is America, not Mexico.

How much do you want to bet they pulled down the American flags at the school specifically for that day? Lol, Americans are more concerned with the concerns of citizens of other nations than they are with their own people.

So question - do they say the Pledge of Allegiance on May 5? Last I remember when I was in school we did. Do they hide all the flags in the school and hang Mexican flags? I would LOVE to see where in a PUBLIC SCHOOL they say you can NOT wear the American Flag

How many facts do you need to make up to keep the outrage a bubbling?

Absolutely not. What those students did is constitutionally protected and backed up by the Supreme Court. I don't care if they were drug dealers, because what they did in this particular incident was not wrong.

You're also someone, that if I remember correct, hated high school? You're a little scorned.

Exactamundo...what if kids are offended by kids wearing Mexican flag shirts?

Are Mexican flags or colors forbidden?

Foolishness and raising a generation of clones preaching tolerance for me but not thee.

Yeah. I think this student's quote is wrong:

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

I wouldn't care at all if people wore Mexican or Tajikistan shirts/bandannas on the Fourth. And I wonder if the school (if it were in session on the 4th) would've asked such people to turn their shirts inside-out.

Maybe it's just me--I tend to not get into other people's business and force them to think or feel as I feel. I probably wouldn't even notice that anyone was wearing a particular flag. Who gives a ****? The boys may've been looking for trouble, but anyone who rises to that "trouble challenge" is also looking for it. Makes me kind of sick how people think they should have any say at all in what other people wear, or that other people should HAVE to show a very particular form of "respect" or whatever.

I think "mind your business" was one of our early coin mottos. Maybe it should come back.

What percentage of the kids the principal were illegal?

:secret:Did you guys know, 2 of the kids that were wearing the American flag were part Mexican.

We know. You keep saying it, over and over.

Apparently, no one thinks that it is a particularly signficant fact.

Mexico upsetting the French in a big battle. IIRC, it was the turning point of the war.

You are right. It was the turning point but not the way most think. It celebrates the Battle of Puebla against the French. Mexico stopped paying for money borrowed from France and so, France sent troops. It is pretty much the only battle that the Mexicans won in this war. A few days earlier, the Mexican Army had been smashed by the French. A cease fire was called to discuss terms. This battle broke out in spite of the cease fire. What it actually accomplished was to convince France that it needed to commit real troops. France sent 27 thousand troops to Mexico and basically subjugated the entire country. They took Mexico City and put thousands to the sword.

It's not even considered a National Holiday by Mexico.

I don't understand how Mexicans in the U.S. can claim it as a Holiday. It's not.

Yep. Because he didn't see any "possible issues" arising.

Do you feel the same way as far as girls wearing tuxes to the prom ect?:evilg:

Tolerance for me but not thee?

The way the story reads makes it seem that way....i'm pretty sure none of us randomly see people in high school cloaked in an american flag on a typical school day

Not in Maryland, but when I when I went to Ballou HS yeah primarily because of JROTC and kids of vets from nearby Bolling AFB.

If I were them I would talk to a lawyer and see if you could sue the damn school

freedom of expression doesn't exist for a student in a public school.
Freedom of expression doesnt always apply to juveniles in schools.

The second quote is closer to the truth here. There are tighter boundaries for school kids, but if any kind of school lets you express yourself, it's PUBLIC schools. Kids wear things that express their personalities every day. From kids that dress preppy to kids that dress in clothes 90 sizes too big for them. From skulls to button up shirts to sports jerseys to the colors of their homelands.

Out of curiosity

How would you guys feel if on the 4th of July you heard that a group of american students in Germany planned to have a fireworks celebration

A wealthy man who owns a neighboring lot decides he wants to buy out enough fireworks to completely outdo the display the americans have planned and during the american firework celebration all you see if Red black and yellow fireworks and hear traditional german music

now suppose a fight ensues when the American's confront him about interrupting their party. He claims he has a right as a German in Germany to do this...

What I don't really understand is why this is a holiday? It's not celebrated in Mexico. It's not really considered a holiday there at all. Why is it considered a Holiday here. Go to Mexico and try to celebrate Pearl Harbor Day and see what happens. It's ridiculous to me but whatever.

Yeah, but St. Patrick's Day isn't really celebrated in Ireland, either. But I doubt that five kids wearing the American flag on March 17th would offend anybody.

Even if the kids were doing it to be smartasses (which is entirely possible--I might have done it and thought it was kinda funny, but I have a tendency to push buttons, in a light-hearted fashion), but it's not something they should have been threatened with suspension over. If a group of Mexican-Americans all wore Mexican flags on Independence Day, I wouldn't get worked up over it. Baffled, sure, but not offended--and I have an incredible amount of pride in this country. I mean, lighten up, people.

As long as people aren't actually causing trouble (it's slightly possible this would have, but nothing had happened, yet) or wearing gang affiliated attire, or have their hoo-hahs hanging out, or something, I'm fine with kids wearing whatever they like.

Hell, during the height of the DC sniper escapades, my high school was canceling every extra-curricular activity in sight (except football :doh: ) so I wore a t-shirt on which I had depicted, front and back, a target. Now that's funny.

We know. You keep saying it, over and over.

Apparently, no one thinks that it is a particularly signficant fact.

If the kids were part Mexican , how is it not significant that they are being blamed for provoking other Mexicans?

Out of curiosity

How would you guys feel if on the 4th of July you heard that a group of american students in Germany planned to have a fireworks celebration

A wealthy man who owns a neighboring lot decides he wants to buy out enough fireworks to completely outdo the display the americans have planned and during the american firework celebration all you see if Red black and yellow fireworks and hear traditional german music

now suppose a fight ensues when the American's confront him about interrupting their party. He claims he has a right as a German in Germany to do this...

Apples and Oranges

You are comparing the 4th of July (a national holiday) to a beer campaign.

You're also someone, that if I remember correct, hated high school? You're a little scorned.

Who didn't hate high-school? I was particularly interested in student rights. I have done much research into the subject. As I mentioned, this particular case is directly covered by the Supreme Court case Tinker v. Des Moines. Justice Abe Fortas gave the majority opinion in that case. Look it up. American history is important :2cents:

edit: to clarify my "hate" for high school, it was things like this that I hated. Administrators over-stepping their boundaries and stifling the freedoms of students. By my Junior year of High School, we got a new principal who I really liked and things started changing. Its not authority figures I had a problem with, it was BAD authority figures. The school in this article is an example of a bad administration and that needs to eliminated.

Do you feel the same way as far as girls wearing tuxes to the prom ect?:evilg:

Tolerance for me but not thee?

I already said that I think the Principal here probably overreacted.

But for whatever it is worth, I will ask this question again:

Imagine if those five kids got a beatdown in the playground from some angry Hispanic kids after a little back and forth chatter. Can you imagine the howls of outrage that would be raised then? "KIDS BEATEN BY MOB FOR WEARING THE FLAG!!!!!!"

I suspect that the Principal was trying to avoid that - not that he hates America.

Archived