Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Students kicked out for wearing American flags on 5/5

Spaceman Spiff

They should also tell them this isn't Mexico.

Mexico barely celerates it.

http://newyorknewstoday.com/cinco-de-mayo-will-be-celebrated-for-two-days-this-weekend/09580

Cinco de Mayo is hardly recognized in Mexico. Here most people go without seeing a parade, eating guacamole, or fully knowing why today celebrates the Battle of Puebla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

Mexico

Cinco de Mayo is a regional holiday limited primarily to the state of Puebla. There is some limited recognition of the holiday in other parts of the country.[17] For the most part, the celebrations combine food, music, and dancing.

I agree...i mean we don't know much more about those kids

the questions i would raise are why choose to wear your flag on cinco de mayo? why less than x day since arizona passed that bill? why now?

every single answer leads to a decision by the kids to start controversy and incite a negative reaction from other kids in the school who take cinco de mayo seriously

Whatever their intention is, if it began to cause problems why shouldn't the administration stop it? I don't think anybody in here would say they were substantially affected in their ability to be/express themselves as Americans. You could wear your flag anywhere you want just not in a school when it is obvious that it disrupts the class day

They wore American flag shirts. That's never an offense.

I wouldn't be mad at an Irish guy for wearing an Irish shirt on the 4th of July. Isn't America about celebrating the fact that you can be who you are? So why tell AMERICANS that they can't be who they are because the MEXICAN-Americans may get offended...?

Not to mention, a couple of the kids were Mexican.

But again, I think you have to take these kids past MO's into account. If they have a history of stirring the pot, than what was done was appropriate.

OMG! They are showing pride for their country in their actual country????

Execute them.

What a backwards ass, politically correct bunch of a** wipes running that school.

Would they kick out hispanics for wearing the Mexican flag on Memorial Day? Well, I guess they wouldnt be in school but you know...

Who is to say they don't wear something patriotic a few times a month? I don't think someone should EVER be questioned WHY they are wearing the American flag

i think it should given the context if you are trying to determine whether or not the administrators had a reason to make them take it off...

The way the story reads makes it seem that way....i'm pretty sure none of us randomly see people in high school cloaked in an american flag on a typical school day

The blocked quote got all messed up responding to kindspadee

In all likelihood those kids are just as american as you. They have a culture that they are attached to through their family. Don't antagonize a celebration of their culture. When things are done with a seemingly malicious intent to cause disruption and offend others than it shouldnt be allowed.

I'm sure you wouldn't support a person dressing up in black face on MLK's birthday or some anti-irish semblance on st. patricks day...

Having mexican ancestry isn't something that these kids choose or should be taken lightly. For all you know cinco de mayo is a time to embrace their culture.

Yep and they can do so - but it should NOT infringe on another Americans right. I mean noone is saying they can't embrace their culture but at the same time the kids should also be able to EMBRACE their culture any time any day without any prosecution

I also didn't see a direct quote from administration on their reasoning. If they believed these kids were being inflammatory, and had a history of being that way, I think it's deserved. If there's no record, then it doesn't. I'd like to hear their side.

We don't need to hear their side.

This is America goddamit!!!! Our Flag is always SACRED! Rrrrrraaaaaarrghgghh!!!!!

captainkirk.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Standing up for your country makes you confrontational. Got it.

in the context of wearing a costume out of the american flag on cinco de mayo, of course it was intentionally antagonistic.

Even if it was intentional, it's their right to do it.

no, students in a public school do not have that right, in fact. the right of an administrator to prevent conflict legally trumps student freedom of speech.

If people can proudly display their flags, I can display mine. This is selective enforcement.

yes, the administrator selectively told a bunch of kids looking for trouble to knock it off. good job on his part.

OMG! They are showing pride for their country in their actual country????

Execute them.

What a backwards ass, politically correct bunch of a** wipes running that school.

Would they kick out hispanics for wearing the Mexican flag on Memorial Day? Well, I guess they wouldnt be in school but you know...

Well to be honest - they should (if they had school of course)

Who is to say they don't wear something patriotic a few times a month? I don't think someone should EVER be questioned WHY they are wearing the American flag

Or a mexican flag, or a palestinian flag, or a Tajikistan flag, right?

Yep and they can do so - but it should NOT infringe on another Americans right. I mean noone is saying they can't embrace their culture but at the same time the kids should also be able to EMBRACE their culture any time any day without any prosecution

NOBODY infringed on their rights. Where does it say you're allowed to act in any way you want in a PUBLIC school

i could find several statutes restricting what you can do on a public school lol

That would be valid if the kids were wearing shirts that said **** Mexico or something similar.

Exactamundo...what if kids are offended by kids wearing Mexican flag shirts?

Are Mexican flags or colors forbidden?

Foolishness and raising a generation of clones preaching tolerance for me but not thee.

haha, you people and your precious flag.

YOU people can get the hell out of MY country. It's MY country's flag and I'll proudly show it anywhere anytime. If you've got a problem with that, you can kiss my American @ss!

BTW, can anyone explain to me how American flags are offensive to Corona?

The Principal did the right thing. His job is to prevent possible issues.

Yep.

But I bet he didnt make any hispanic kids take things off on Columbus Day, or St Paddys day, or flag day.

Yep. Because he didn't see any "possible issues" arising.

in the context of wearing a costume of bandanas and shirts on cinco de mayo, of course it was intentionally antagonistic.

no, students in a public school do not have that right, in fact. the right of an administrator to prevent conflict legally trumps student freedom of speech.

yes, the administrator selectively told a bunch of kids looking for trouble to knock it off. good job on his part.

When in the hell did wearing the AMERICAN FLAG IN ******* AMERICA WHEN YOUR A DAMN AMERICAN mean your LOOKING FOR ******* TROUBLE?

I don't care what day it is - anyone should be able to wear a or display the American Flag without ever feeling ashamed or worrying what the repercussion is going to be

YOU people can get the hell out of MY country. It's MY country's flag and I'll proudly show it anywhere anytime. If you've got a problem with that, you can kiss my American @ss!

lol. This is getting good.

Not at all. From what little information I have, it looks to me like the Principal probably overreacted.

Of course, I don't know his school, and I don't know how often fights break out there, and I don't know what has set off problems in the past, or how those particular kids get along with other kids, so it's pretty hard for me to analyze things with any fairness.

I do know that Principals have pretty wide discretion to do things to keep their schools orderly. Imagine if those five kids got a beatdown in the playground from some angry Hispanic kids after a little back and forth chatter. Can you imagine the howls of outrage that would be raised then? "KIDS BEATEN BY MOB FOR WEARING THE FLAG!!!!!!"

I suspect that the Principal was trying to avoid that - not that he hates America.

So I'm kind of chuckling at all the fuss. Because it is so damn predictable, from the same posters every time.

I understand that the principal has a job to keep things orderly at his school...however, the kids were being peaceful. There's nothing wrong with what they were doing. At all.

Sure he was trying to avoid that, but there's no evidence from any angle saying that there was any static being started in the first place. What's next, hall monitors kicking kids out because someone looked at someone else the wrong way?

I mean, by your standards giving someone a dirty look means a fight might break out and in order to keep things in order no one should be giving anyone a dirty look.

When in the hell did wearing the AMERICAN FLAG IN ******* AMERICA WHEN YOUR A DAMN AMERICAN mean your LOOKING FOR ******* TROUBLE?

I don't care what day it is - anyone should be able to wear a or display the American Flag without ever feeling ashamed or worrying what the repercussion is going to be

Don't you think these kids past behavior could come into play when something like this arises? If they are "high fly-ers" and are always in trouble, then yes, I think it's warranted.

If not, then you're 100% correct.

Well technically, the American flag is not supposed to be made into clothing or commercialized, although I'm not sure of the specifics of the rules on that.

But that's another subject. The schools, once again, stifling freedom of expression. I wish I could say I were surprised, but I'm not. This specific incident is covered in the supreme court case Tinker v. Des Moines when a group of students wore black arm bands to protest a war or something.

NOBODY infringed on their rights. Where does it say you're allowed to act in any way you want in a PUBLIC school

i could find several statutes restricting what you can do on a public school lol

So question - do they say the Pledge of Allegiance on May 5? Last I remember when I was in school we did. Do they hide all the flags in the school and hang Mexican flags? I would LOVE to see where in a PUBLIC SCHOOL they say you can NOT wear the American Flag

I'm sure you wouldn't support a person dressing up in black face on MLK's birthday or some anti-irish semblance on st. patricks day...

Having mexican ancestry isn't something that these kids choose or should be taken lightly. For all you know cinco de mayo is a time to embrace their culture.

since when is wearing american colors/flag anti-Mexican?

haha. dude. relax. have a corona.

Archived