Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Students kicked out for wearing American flags on 5/5

Spaceman Spiff

What I don't really understand is why this is a holiday? It's not celebrated in Mexico. It's not really considered a holiday there at all. Why is it considered a Holiday here. Go to Mexico and try to celebrate Pearl Harbor Day and see what happens. It's ridiculous to me but whatever.

are you saying it was just a coincidence that they all decided to wear american flag bandanas and shirts that day? because otherwise it sure sounds like intentional provocation to me.

or maybe you're saying it's okay for students to provoke each other, as long as it's white students provoking hispanics, and not the other way around.

I don't care if they are white, black, yellow, purple, blue, brown, silver, gold, or what ever damn color they are. The fact of the matter is IF an AMERICAN wants to wear the colors of the flag or even something SHOWING THE damn flag I see no reason why they should be ashamed of it or feel like they are walking on thin ice. I mean I'd feel the same way if it was some Mexicans-Americans wearing the flag and was told to take them off. It has NOTHING to do with the color of their skin - it's the fact that we are in AMERICA and you should always be able to support your country no matter the day

The blocked quote got all messed up responding to kindspadee

In all likelihood those kids are just as american as you. They have a culture that they are attached to through their family. Don't antagonize a celebration of their culture. When things are done with a seemingly malicious intent to cause disruption and offend others than it shouldnt be allowed.

I'm sure you wouldn't support a person dressing up in black face on MLK's birthday or some anti-irish semblance on st. patricks day...

Having mexican ancestry isn't something that these kids choose or should be taken lightly. For all you know cinco de mayo is a time to embrace their culture.

I am sorry but I could care LESS if they were OFFENDED by someone showing their American pride and supporting the Red White And Blue. I mean for all they knew maybe they had families fighting over seas or maybe they were celebrating say someone they knew in the armed forces that died? I know it's a stretch but you never know!

This is what's wrong with the country everyone wants to be Politically Correct every second of the day - nope sorry - when it comes to our damn flag if you have a problem with it kiss my damn ass

haha, you people and your precious flag.

these kids weren't simply "showing their american pride". they were being intentionally confrontational.

Disgusting. You can't even wear a shirt showing the American flag in your own country! Cinco De Mayo people need to get over it. This is America, not Mexico.

How much do you want to bet they pulled down the American flags at the school specifically for that day? Lol, Americans are more concerned with the concerns of citizens of other nations than they are with their own people.

these kids weren't simply "showing their american pride". they were being intentionally confrontational.

Standing up for your country makes you confrontational. Got it. Even if it was intentional, it's their right to do it. If people can proudly display their flags, I can display mine. This is selective enforcement.

buenos,

What's wrong with wearing an American flag... In America... ever?

that would be like telling a Puerto Rican (some of the most proud people I know) that they can't wear their Puerto Rican colors on the 4th of July. Last I checked it was a celebration of Mexican-Americans, right?

I also didn't see a direct quote from administration on their reasoning. If they believed these kids were being inflammatory, and had a history of being that way, I think it's deserved. If there's no record, then it doesn't. I'd like to hear their side.

I just wanted to add that.....

TWO OF THE KIDS ARE PART MEXICAN, so who were they provoking?

that's irrelevant...just because a small sample of mexican american's decide to detach themselves from their culture it does not follow that every mexican american wouldn't be offended by what they did or that it wasn't intended to start controversy

speaking of cinco de mayo...

yesterday i think people on cinco de mayo wearing sombrero's pancho's and drawn on moustaches is distasteful

I am sorry, but what in the hell are you saying? My PRECIOUS flag is a symbol of my god damn freedom and a symbol of the people who have fought and died for us to keep and have our FREEDOM! I hate to say this - but if you have a problem with my precious flag why - you know what I just won't get myself banned

So Mexican kids were being confrontational because they were wearing the American flag to confront other Mexicans?

The Principal did the right thing. His job is to prevent possible issues.

But I bet he didnt make any hispanic kids take things off on Columbus Day, or St Paddys day, or flag day.

And I bet he let people wear flowered shirts on arbor day. A REALLLLLLL no-no amongst arborists.

Not really...There's no report of the kids wearing the American flag getting up in any hispanic students face.

I'm sorry, but **** kids today...and their feelings. How dare any middle schooler or high schooler has a little adversity thrown their way. How dare anyone steps on their toes or doesn't think about their feelings first. How dare they think that everyone should cater to their needs and feelings and that no one should disagree with them.

IMO, part of an education is getting ready for the real world and the real world is a pretty rough place at times. So **** kids and their parents who beat up on teachers and school adminstration because they think little Johnny or little Susie can do no wrong...just because your parents tell you're special doesn't mean you are.

Lame.

Someone should tell them that this isn't a national Mexican holiday.

What I don't really understand is why this is a holiday? It's not celebrated in Mexico. It's not really considered a holiday there at all. Why is it considered a Holiday here. Go to Mexico and try to celebrate Pearl Harbor Day and see what happens. It's ridiculous to me but whatever.

Its only celebrated in the city of Puebla in Tlaxcala. If you ask most Mexicans who are not from that area about it, they will probably tell you its just an excuse for Americans to get drunk. Like St. Patrick's day.

That brings up another thought, I wonder if these kids do the same thing on St. Patty's day?

buenos,

What's wrong with wearing an American flag... In America... ever?

that would be like telling a Puerto Rican (some of the most proud people I know) that they can't wear their Puerto Rican colors on the 4th of July. Last I checked it was a celebration of Mexican-Americans, right?

I also didn't see a direct quote from administration on their reasoning. If they believed these kids were being inflammatory, and had a history of being that way, I think it's deserved. If there's no record, then it doesn't. I'd like to hear their side.

I agree...i mean we don't know much more about those kids

the questions i would raise are why choose to wear your flag on cinco de mayo? why less than x day since arizona passed that bill? why now?

every single answer leads to a decision by the kids to start controversy and incite a negative reaction from other kids in the school who take cinco de mayo seriously

Whatever their intention is, if it began to cause problems why shouldn't the administration stop it? I don't think anybody in here would say they were substantially affected in their ability to be/express themselves as Americans. You could wear your flag anywhere you want just not in a school when it is obvious that it disrupts the class day

The blocked quote got all messed up responding to kindspadee

In all likelihood those kids are just as american as you. They have a culture that they are attached to through their family. Don't antagonize a celebration of their culture. When things are done with a seemingly malicious intent to cause disruption and offend others than it shouldnt be allowed.

I'm sure you wouldn't support a person dressing up in black face on MLK's birthday or some anti-irish semblance on st. patricks day...

Having mexican ancestry isn't something that these kids choose or should be taken lightly. For all you know cinco de mayo is a time to embrace their culture.

That would be valid if the kids were wearing shirts that said **** Mexico or something similar.

I agree...i mean we don't know much more about those kids

the questions i would raise are why choose to wear your flag on cinco de mayo? why less than x day since arizona passed that bill? why now?

every single answer leads to a decision by the kids to start controversy and incite a negative reaction from other kids in the school who take cinco de mayo seriously

Whatever their intention is, if it began to cause problems why shouldn't the administration stop it? I don't think anybody in here would say they were substantially affected in their ability to be/express themselves as Americans. You could wear your flag anywhere you want just not in a school when it is obvious that it disrupts the class day

Who is to say they don't wear something patriotic a few times a month? I don't think someone should EVER be questioned WHY they are wearing the American flag

So you have no problem with this story at all?

Not at all. From what little information I have, it looks to me like the Principal probably overreacted.

Of course, I don't know his school, and I don't know how often fights break out there, and I don't know what has set off problems in the past, or how those particular kids get along with other kids, so it's pretty hard for me to analyze things with any fairness.

I do know that Principals have pretty wide discretion to do things to keep their schools orderly. Imagine if those five kids got a beatdown in the playground from some angry Hispanic kids after a little back and forth chatter. Can you imagine the howls of outrage that would be raised then? "KIDS BEATEN BY MOB FOR WEARING THE FLAG!!!!!!"

I suspect that the Principal was trying to avoid that - not that he hates America.

So I'm kind of chuckling at all the fuss. Because it is so damn predictable, from the same posters every time.

Archived