Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I shall guide you to the light. We don't ONLY need offensive line.

Art

For our 3-4 system an inside linebacker is a huge need. Some say (like Moseley from ESPN) London Fletcher although played a little in that type of system isn't an ideal fit for it because often the linebackers in this system are bigger. Rocky is not exactly a big guy either. HB Blades is a great special teams player but am doubting a great fit to be an inside linebacker in this system.

As for people's reaction to the pick, am gathering its driven by not going with some of the "sexier" picks on the board. And also maybe because shooting for mid round linebackers isn't a new thing for this organization. In the last few years, they have gone after linebackers, that had us wonder at the time, last year it was Cody Glenn in the 5th. I recall Glenn saying after being drafted that he expected to be an undrafted FA and was surprised he was picked. We took Hensen in the 6th. Not that long ago we took Dallas Sartz in the 5th.

Picking mid round linebackers haven't arguably worked out for us, the way it has in another positions, like a Golston in the 6th, Cartright in the 7th. I am sure its just coincidence/luck. And maybe you can say Blades is a hit since he is a special teams stud.

But based on recent times, seeing the team draft a linebacker in the mid rounds and skipping the draft geek high rated picks hasn't per se work out in a big way at least yet. Having said that, its not easy to hit on 4th rounders, hopefully we are successful here.

I see people once again claiming that the results of recent seasons are strictly a measure of the talent. I disagree, not 100% necessarily but that is hardly the only or even the major reason why we have sucked lately. The glaring lack of any overall vision of who and what we are as a team, and obtaining players that fit into that larger scheme has crippled the team's ability to produce.

I am cautiously optimistic that this has changed, having an genuine GM working hand-in-hand with a pedigreed head coach that assembled his own staff really ought to yield better results than Vinny's "Look! I saw something shiny!" way of doing things.

It is refreshing to see us addressing more than a single aspect of the team, in more than one single way.

I think it's more accurate to say that in the past we have preferred to acquire vets over the draft. I believe the McNabb trade will be an exception to the rule moving forward. It allowed us to get a good QB *and* a top prospect at OT. Still, if we had any shot at Bradford it wouldn't have happened. Shanahan is playing the cards he was dealt in this draft. I expect a youth movement through the draft in coming years.

You are dead on as to our multiple needs. I think the O line only cult is the result of the groupthink mentality that is prevalent on the board. Once an opinion becomes popular it's like a boulder rolling down hill.

Jason Campbell was a popular player and people have never accepted that his holding the ball too long contributed to the sacks he had. Once teams learned they could tee off on him and he couldn't make them pay, it was all over. Campbell supporters have placed all of the blame on the O line.

As I'm watching, word is now that the Raiders are in negotiations for him which would mean a sixth rounder at best... The Raiders... the team that picked JaMarcus Russell.

A) They are terrible at judging talent. Seeing potential where little exists.

B) Even they wouldn't be giving much up to get him.

We may not have the best line in the NFL, but we can be competitive and successful with them in a better system and much improved QB play.

You'll be in for a shock next year.

We'll sign every other free agent available. Next year is the monster free agent year. We were relatively quiet this year. We'll blow the doors off next, assuming no work stoppage.

But, the fact I posted what would be our updated position of needs hours before the draft should be telling. It's not all that hidden. This team needs to fill a number of spots and have some future possibilities to start. We'll only get one or two from this draft who fit that. And while the team learns the system, we'll see how competitive we'll be.

Then, next year, expect a major overhaul and huge free agency appearance. Which is why we'd take a pick from the Raiders two years from now when we'll be quiet in the offseason.

I think Shanahan's approach is to be opportunistic.

If he sees a veteran that can help him and the price is right he will acquire him.

At the same time if he can fill holes with draft picks he will use the draft to effect.

You have to employ a blended approach with the advent of free agency.

The Eagles were a draft only team for years and they failed to win a Super Bowl.

Now, in the past 3-4 years the Eagles have made major moves for Darren Howard, Asante Samuel, Jason Peters, Stacy Andrews, Jevon Kearse, etc.

Not all of these guys turned out as expected but the Eagles realized they needed to participate in free agency to remain competitive.

I agree for the most part, but I think you're over-emphasizing the need for a FS a bit much. I think Kareem Moore is better than what we've seen so far from him, and we also know what Haslett has stated about how he'll play the Safeties on this team and their interchangeability.

We'll sign every other free agent available. Next year is the monster free agent year. We were relatively quiet this year. We'll blow the doors off next, assuming no work stoppage.

But, the fact I posted what would be our updated position of needs hours before the draft should be telling. It's not all that hidden. This team needs to fill a number of spots and have some future possibilities to start. We'll only get one or two from this draft who fit that. And while the team learns the system, we'll see how competitive we'll be.

Then, next year, expect a major overhaul and huge free agency appearance. Which is why we'd take a pick from the Raiders two years from now when we'll be quiet in the offseason.

Well rather than a bloviated response, I'll just respectfully disagree. :D

You seem to think we wont be very good next year. what do you think our record will be? (somehow I doubt I will agree. :ols: )

One thing I will point out however... a 2012 pick could be used to bundle with another pick and move up at some point next year so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Jason Campbell was a popular player and people have never accepted that his holding the ball too long contributed to the sacks he had. Once teams learned they could tee off on him and he couldn't make them pay, it was all over. Campbell supporters have placed all of the blame on the O line.

That is an oversimplification. Most of us have been reacting to the attitude of some that Campbell was the root of all of our problems, ignoring other problems. Personally, I think Campbell's failure here was a symptom of deeper problems (4 head coaches, 5 OCs since he was drafted.)

BTW, I like this draft so far. Wish we had more picks.

everyone knows this team has lots of holes. i really don't know how you could put offensive line at 5, but we all have our own takes.

I put OL at No. 5 after we drafted Trent Williams. Once we did that the need for the position diminished as the rounds went down and you lost your real chance to find a first-year starter.

I put OL at No. 5 after we drafted Trent Williams. Once we did that the need for the position diminished as the rounds went down and you lost your real chance to find a first-year starter.

i guess that's what happens when you have one pick in the top 100.

i can see the other arguments, but i can't agree with you that a future rb is a bigger need than o-line. maybe you're going with the "rb's are a dime-a-dozen and can be found in later rounds".....

I actually Agree with Art, unless you find a project who can start pretty quickly and still improve, you are better off finding guys who you can build into starters rather than marginal starters. I still would have liked to see what Campbell could have done with good coaching though, the guy is massive and athletic.

The Redskins prefer to acquire guys who've proven capable of playing in the NFL over guys who've proven nothing. The team may have a draft here in the coming years where they gather picks and have 12 bodies just to keep three or four three years later, but while that isn't a bad strategy, our success rate on productive team mates is higher taking productive NFL players. We've missed in this area too, but not with the rate all teams miss on draft picks.

Unfortunately, we haven't learnt how to evaluate talent period!

Guys that we traded for or paid big bucks that did not amount to anything ...

1/ Jason Taylor

2/ Dion Sanders

3/ Dana Stubbefield

4/ T J Duckett

5/ Laverneous Coles

6/ Brandon Llyod

7/ "Big" Mike Williams

8/ Marc "Boo"nell

... and, the list goes on and on.

When have he drafted a stud WR in recent years, or a Franchise QB, or a shut down DB, or a spectacular LB?

It's a shame that we keep pissing our draft choices away. We need to take a look at NE Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, and a few other teams to see how they stay young, talented, and fresh.

i guess that's what happens when you have one pick in the top 100.

i can see the other arguments, but i can't agree with you that a future rb is a bigger need than o-line. maybe you're going with the "rb's are a dime-a-dozen and can be found in later rounds".....

Sure. And we needed a starting QB more than another offensive line prospect in Round 2, and got one.

Unfortunately, we haven't learnt how to evaluate talent period!

Guys that we traded for or paid big bucks that did not amount to anything ...

1/ Jason Taylor

2/ Dion Sanders

3/ Dana Stubbefield

4/ T J Duckett

5/ Laverneous Coles

6/ Brandon Llyod

7/ "Big" Mike Williams

8/ Marc "Boo"nell

... and, the list goes on and on.

When have he drafted a stud WR in recent years, or a Franchise QB, or a shut down DB, or a spectacular LB?

It's a shame that we keep pissing our draft choices away. We need to take a look at NE Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, and a few other teams to see how they stay young, talented, and fresh.

ummm, I put Sean Taylor in that list, I just wish he were still here to reap the rewards. He could have taught Landry so much.

I agree with this but also agree with Mad Mike's point. Using the draft and FA doesn't have to be mutually exclusive IMO.

If you go back and study Shanny's last 10 drafts running the Broncos he's averaged 8.2 picks a year. So he's using a full draft and adding a pick. Gibbs averaged 5.25 picks.

Shanny himself said a few days ago that trading for McNabb is an aberration for him and he likes to keep and not give away picks. And Shanny liked to sign FA's too. Sort of NE style use FA but don't dump your draft picks in trades.

Yup, just saw got 2 OL in the 7th round. Whats the chances they see the field?

For me it is less about whether they ultimately see the field and more about the clear change in FO philosophy.

For once, you actually have young guys with potential in camp who *could* challenge for a roster spot. When was the last time the FO actually drafted 3OL in the same draft?

If they maintain this philosphy good things are bound to happen.....or there is at least a better chance good things will happen.

Archived