Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please explain to me...

Griff

What the hell is happening here...

Marty comes in hires all of his family and KC drop-offs. He drafts a big, strong WR in Gardner almost a carbon copy of Westbrook who in my opinion are deep threats, Brad leaves via free agency and we are left with Jeff George who does not fit in the WCO, (everyone knew that, it should not be a surprise) he is a long ball QB. Knowing this why not get ride of him at that point in time or before Brad leaves, (if Marty had cut Jeff and said to Brad look, I want you to be my guy, I am in charge and call the shots) or get someone else who fits your scheme of things. It makes since if you have a great running back in Davis and two big, strong, fast WR's in Westbrook and Gardner, and a long ball QB in George why not adapt the Offense to all of the players you have on hand strengths.

We now run the WCO which allows defenses to stack men in the box and shut down the run game. Defenses know we are not going to go deep, everything is short dump offs. Back to draft day why would you draft Gardner instead of someone like Santana Moss who would excel in the WCO, Moss is a quick, slashing WR that could take the short pass and turn it into a big play and fits into your scheme.

The first two games produce absolutely no offense, so instead of reconigizing that the blame should be placed squarely on the shoulders of the coach, the offensive coordinator, and the GM (MARTY) for not bringing in the right personal to run there type of offense, they in turn blame Jeff George and cut him. They may have turned down the heat on themselfs for a little while but after the next couple of games when the result is the same, maybe they will change the play calling to best suit the personal we have on the field, and then at that point it will be too late and we will already have a losing season AGAIN.

Could someone please give me there incite on this...

Not to mention that Carter showed his leg could be healthy. Why haven't we shown a two setback with David and Carter? Why haven't we seen Carter or Bates in on third down situations as a third down back? Our offensive schemes thus far are far from understandable.

------------------

Please visit my new Skins site, Mark's Redskins Net. Vote in my latest Skins poll.

www.geocities.com/mbuterba/redskins.htm

If I remember correctly, didn't we try the West Coast Offense experiment with Petibon(sp)?

I believe we did, and it was horrible. Seems as history may be repeating itself. This team's personality/identity has, since I can remember, been a smashmouth football team, not a dink and dump team.

Honestly, I don't think Jeff was totally to blame for the anemic offense, but someone had to take the fall, and you know Marty wasn't going to let his ego get out of the way and fire Raye. Raye was his hire, not George. I am curious to see now what happens if the team continues to falter under Marty's leadership, and potent offense.

Peace

You have a couple of assumptions/facts wrong, Griff, but otherwise I agree with you.

First off, Gardner is not a speed WR. He's a big, strong posession WR in the mold of Michael Irvin or Cris Carter or Herman Moore. His game is precise route running, out muscling usually smaller CB's, and good hands. He's perfect for the WCO, at least once he matures.

Also, I don't think anything or anyone would have kept Brad here. He was set on leaving because of how much he hated the way the organization treated him by signing Jeff George and undermining him. The problem was that the salary cap and Brad's stance on resigning with us - not to mention the fact that we had stupidly signed George to begin with - left us with few options at QB.

That having been said, I think Marty's been too rigid in running this team and he needs to adapt his system more to the players he has. The season will be long enough even if that happens.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

----------------------

"I fear we've awakened a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve."

- Japanese Imperial Admiral Yamamoto, after hearing that the Japanese declaration of war failed to reach the U.S. government before the attack upon Pearl Harbor

I think it's pretty clear what Marty is doing. Whether you agree with it or not is at issue. What he's doing is clearly attempting to establish accountability. Whether he's decided to make George the scape goat for problems that run far more deeply and generally point as his own offensive coordinator is an issue we'll be able to discuss later.

I think Marty heard the players rumbling about George letting them down. I think he decided to make this move to show them that he is listening, and that he'll make a major and impactful move to make a situation better. He's obviously hoping the team will rally around the decision and pick up its play. And, I suspect this weekend you are going to see a better offensive performance that includes more focus in the running game and more depth on the passing plays. After the game Marty will then say, "Nothing changed. Just the QB." He'll save face and the team will, perhaps, believe in what he's doing where it appears they don't presently.

Now, these are all best-case scenario things. The worst-case scenario was happening. The sniping was taking on a face. The lack of support was becomming the predominate belief. This move probably doesn't salvage anything, but it's big enough that it just might.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

I believe Ripien was still the QB that year. I might be wrong, but I do believe that to be the case.

Richie brought in some offensive "guru" or something like that, we whipped Dallas' collective butt, and ended up 4-12... Then came the dreaded Norval era. Fortunately though we had some symblance of the old Gibbs style of football to some degree or other.

I believe Gannon, or was it Friez, came to DC in Norv's first year as head coach.

Peace

That offensive "guru" who tried to change our offense was none other than our own Rod Dowhower.

As for the QBs, Rypien, Gannon, and Cary Conklin all had their chance in 1993. Rypien looked great when we smoked Dallas on monday night in week one, but got hurt on a cheap shot by Eric Swann in week two and was never the same after he returned, partially because we never fully committed to him and we were too quick with the trigger. And I will still maintain that I have never seen worse quarterbacking than Rich Gannon that season. He was horrible! Goes to show you never know when and where somebody might blossom.

I'm hoping you're right, Art.

I had some problems with the way George was playing (when the reciever's only 5 yards deep, putting the ball in the dirt looks bad). And Jaws' analysis in the pregame looked like a believable explanation for the way the games looked. (But that example only showed one play. And was based on Jaws' analysis of how George's reads should have gone).

But the folks are right who say it's not George's fault that, on 3rd-and-eight, the reciever's only 4 yards deep. (It might be his fault that the 4-yard pass was incomplete). It's not George's fault that, on that 3rd-and-inches play action (was it 2nd quarter?), only one reciever crossed scrimage, and he was covered.

I hope that this was done for it's inspirational value. (Or, at worst, that we've decided we're rebuilding, and this was a cap move. Although, if that's the case, I don't see how doing that now is better than waiting till the end of the season).

In short, I haven't seen enough to think he deserved it. But if it inspires the team, then it's a great move.

Archived