Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you guys really need another second tier DT?

It doesn't make sense to me that you go after this guy Daltan. It seems you have enough Daltan's on the team. I can't imagine he is going to make a major impact on your run stopping game.

What about a possible trade for a DT? Has that been brought up at all in the D.C. area? I know it is hard to work trades in todays NFL, especially for any players worth anything. But it doesn't seem right now the answer is out there in free agency or via trade for second rate DT's. Not that I want you guys to answer your DT problems because that weakness is what can open up the game for the Giants to beat you. But, it also opens things up for the Eagles.

It's the old: D@mned if you do or d@mned if you don't thing for me. I want you to improve on your DLine to beat the Eagles but not to beat the Giants.

How about this, you get good DT's to play against the Eagles but they have to go away for the games against the Giants? :laugh:

I think the intriguing this with this guy is both his size and his experience. He is bigger than everyone on our team except Noble, so you have to think he would be able to do a decent job "plugging the hole." We have some prospects, but most of them are kind of smallish for the position.

Originally posted by Golgo-13

I think the intriguing this with this guy is both his size and his experience. He is bigger than everyone on our team except Noble, so you have to think he would be able to do a decent job "plugging the hole." We have some prospects, but most of them are kind of smallish for the position.

Actually Haley is 6'4 325 and Noble is 6'2 305. I think Dalton is 6'1 306.

Well, I think we should have passed on Cannida. That move is puzzling. It would be much easier to justify Dalton if they hadn't signed Cannida. Now there is a longjam, with a bunch of decent, rotational type players. Just seems as if they were grasping. Even so, I would pull the trigger on Dalton for a mid-low round pick.

Originally posted by Posse81

Well, I think we should have passed on Cannida. That move is puzzling. It would be much easier to justify Dalton if they hadn't signed Cannida. Now there is a longjam, with a bunch of decent, rotational type players. Just seems as if they were grasping. Even so, I would pull the trigger on Dalton for a mid-low round pick.

No pick. Chances are he will get cut. There is a logjam right now, I don't see the rationale with giving up a pick for Dalton. I would consider it for a guy with a better track record.

Originally posted by MOskins56

No pick. Chances are he will get cut. There is a logjam right now, I don't see the rationale with giving up a pick for Dalton. I would consider it for a guy with a better track record.

The rationale for trading a pick for him is the same as the rationale some fans use for why we should have drafted a punter in the seventh as opposed to trying to sign one as a FA. If we trade the pick, we've got a lot higher chance of getting him. Especially if we trade a 5-7th rounder. What are their chances of making the team? This guy is proven in this system and we at least know he will come in here and make the team.

if you are going strictly on the basis of perceived 'value' then Dalton IS worth a #5 pick :)

we gave up a #7 pick for Haley who was a guy with 7 starts in 3 years. Dalton started 13 games last year alone.

also as mentioned Dalton has played in this type of scheme under Lewis in Baltimore, so he likely will be easier to get acclimated here than other DTs we might trade for.

finally, we gave up a #5 pick last year for Brenden Stai, a 30 year old journeyman who was not slated to be a starter for the Lions.

isn't that the scenario for Dalton, except that he is 27 and has perhaps a better upside? :)

Personally I don’t think that we should bring Dalton here just because he has played in this system. DT’s play there gaps regardless of what system they are in. A couple different wrinkles here and there, it doesn’t take that long for some one to pick it up.

I think Dalton is a better player than Cannida. better than Cowsette and probably Haley as well.

Is he a Gardener? No.

But he would be a starter here I don't think there is any question about that, at least not from what we have seen from the Skins this week.

By making a move for Cannida and scanning immediately for DT help the team is all but admitting that it has no confidence in Noble and Haley to improve.

That is a scary thought if they are right and we make no further moves.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

How about this, you get good DT's to play against the Eagles but they have to go away for the games against the Giants? :laugh:

why don't we use your DL when we play our games and then when you play you can use our DB's or LB's. I will go and talk to Dan about is so we can create the clones, then we will need the DNA from your DL to do the same. When we play we each other we wil just split the home games :)

:rotflmao:

if you look at the Pats in 2001 and a few of the teams in last year's postseason such as Green Bay you will see examples of clubs that are able to be successful with average stats on defense vs. the rush.

the key is not to be porous and to have strengths elsewhere to compensate.

I don't believe the Skins are going to find a sure fix who is going to be a pro bowler, but I don't see any reason why after rolling up the sleeves and doing some hog-trading the Skins can't come up with a group of DTs that can at least get the job done in 2003.

I think Noble and Haley, based on their play in the NFL, are a better place to start then where we were at OG last season with David Loverne and Wilbert Brown :)

I think both will show better this week. That doesn't mean the Skins still don't need to do some looking, but a better showing will reduce the feeling of desperation.

Noble and Dalton starting with Haley as the #3 tackle coming in as part of a rotation to me doesn't sound that bad as a starting point.

Whether we acquire Dalton or wait until a more proven vet is available, I think we will have an additional player to add to the mix before the end of the preseason.

It may very well be that Wynn IS the best choice to move to DT.

In which case the team has to look at Holsey at DE to see if he is capable (and consider a deal for a DE instead of DT).

L. Jackson is too light at 260 to be a factor vs. the run. And at 40 I don't think Bruce has the gas left to be a 16 game starter.

Let's not be hasty in blaming the DTs for all the run break downs. If you really look at the game, you would realize certain players weren't hitting the right gaps at times, specifically a couple of the new players (Bowen and Zellner). And of course, the poor tackling.

Remember, this defense has some new faces--again--and it's going to take a little while for everyone to get on the same page--again.

Run defense is more complicated than simply having big fatties on the line. It's a team effort, especially in this Marvin Lewis-inspired scheme. It will work when everyone is on the same page.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

It doesn't make sense to me that you go after this guy Daltan. It seems you have enough Daltan's on the team. I can't imagine he is going to make a major impact on your run stopping game.

I think he is definitely a better player and prospect than Cowsette, probably a better player than Cannida, and possibly a better player than Haley.

I'm not so sure he's worth his 1.6 Mil salary to us, but I think he might be.

I'm pretty sure the team would be better with him than without him.

Finally ... and here is an opinion that I haven't seen others make ... I think our D is going to spend _A_LOT_ of time on the field this year -- our O will often score quickly and also often punt quickly. More than any other position, we need 4 DTs than can share a lot of snaps without wearing down or being a significant weakness for our D.

That is why I would offer a 6th-round pick for him, and then up it to 5th for him plus Denver's 7th-rounder.

HTTR!

Archived