Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins looking to trade for Broncos' DT Lional Dalton

goldenster95

This guy backed up fat Sam Adams in Baltimore a couple of years ago . . . he was a comer then, but I don't know how he fared last year in Denver . . . he's got girth, which we need, and is a solid DT . . . he should relieve some of the d-line angst we've all been suffering from . . .

Here are some excerpts from the Post . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57829-2003Aug14.html

Redskins Sign Punter Leaverton

Club Tries to Acquire Broncos DT Dalton

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, August 15, 2003; Page D01

The Washington Redskins are one of several teams attempting to obtain defensive tackle Lional Dalton in a trade with the Denver Broncos for a mid- to late-round draft pick, NFL sources said.

. . . .

Dalton, 28, was a starter for the Broncos last season after being a reserve for most of his four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens. He likely would be a starter for the Redskins, who want to acquire a bulky tackle before the regular season to shore up the middle of their defensive line. They allowed the Carolina Panthers to average 5.4 yards per rushing attempt in a 20-0 loss at Charlotte in the exhibition opener last Saturday.

The identities of the other teams pursuing Dalton were not clear. The situation probably won't be resolved until next week, sources said. Dalton, who is listed at 6 feet 1 and 309 pounds, made 13 starts in 16 games for Denver last season and was credited with 29 tackles and one sack. He currently is listed as one of Denver's starters but would become a backup for the Broncos once Daryl Gardener, who was signed as a free agent after spending last season with the Redskins, returns from an injury.

The Redskins signed free agent defensive tackle James Cannida to a minimum-salary contract on Monday to fit into a rotation with current starters Brandon Noble and Jermaine Haley. The Redskins made Haley a starter after releasing Dan Wilkinson on the second day of training camp when the veteran refused to take a pay cut.

. . . . . . . . .

More excerpts, the most important of which is in the last line . . .

Redskins Notes: Wide receiver Cliff Russell sprained a shoulder yesterday and could miss Saturday's game. Tailback Ladell Betts (sprained elbow) and wideout Darnerien McCants (pulled hamstring) are not scheduled to play. . . . Guard Randy Thomas sat out yesterday's full morning practice because of a sore knee but said he will play Saturday. . . . Talks on a contract extension for cornerback Champ Bailey are scheduled to commence next week.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Why would they deal this guy with Gardener already gimpy?

I know their big on Monsanto Pope but...

Just makes no sense.

I vaguely remember the Broncos not being happy with Dalton last year. Before they snagged him, he was a pretty hot potato on the second tier DT market. I guess he disappointed them. Marv supposedly wanted him to come here and maybe that's the thought that's still sticking in people's minds here in addition to the view that perhaps a change of system and scenery might do him some good.

If I remember correctly, they weren't real thrilled about his play last year. In the thread I created about this same topic, a different article states that he struggled with his weight last year and suffered from subsequent ankle problems. Now it appears he layed off the sweets and trimmed down from 335lbs to 309lbs.

Still, Just who do the Broncos have as their starters considering Gardener is injured? Monsanto Pope, Daryl Gardener, Dorsett Davis, Darius Holland, Devon Finn, and Nick Eason. Gardener is hurt, and Nick Eason as been AWOL during camp. Seems to me they don't have enough bodies to trade him.

I just don't get why we'd trade for a guy like this. Like Larry Smith, I'm ok with taking up anyone we feel could help us in free agency for the minimum. But, let's not be giving anything up for these guys since they are really all the same player we're getting. Mostly career backups with a burst of being a starter and generally being underwhelming.

Originally posted by Cskin

Still, Just who do the Broncos have as their starters considering Gardener is injured? Monsanto Pope, Daryl Gardener, Dorsett Davis, Darius Holland, Devon Finn, and Nick Eason. Gardener is hurt, and Nick Eason as been AWOL during camp. Seems to me they don't have enough bodies to trade him.

Mike Shanahan seems to think differently:

---

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl?PHPSESSID=e535e22c512ec7965ff451fe753fca88

Broncos | Dalton on Trading Block - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:52:07 -0700

Andrew Mason, of DenverBroncos.com, reports that the Denver Broncos are trying to trade DT Lional Dalton. "We're going to trade Lional," head coach Mike Shanahan said. "I'm not sure when it's going to happen. We do feel like we've got some depth at that position. We've got a number of young players that are playing extremely well."

---

I dont know much about the guy. But I think it depends on what we have versus what he'll cost. I'm not for giving up anything for a bum who we'll cut anyway. From the article it sounds like he can be a good run stuffer. Like I've been saying, we haven't had one of those in a while but thats kinda what the guys we have are. So if trade for one, he'd dag on well better be much MUCH better then they are. From the article, I'm not getting that. I do see that he seems kinda determined to have a good year this year and thats a plus, but unless we're talking about a conditional pick 7th rounder or a bum who's eventually gonna get cut anyway, I dont want him.

Mr. Dalton according to the official Broncos site.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/

Lional Dalton quickly emerged as an inside force on the Broncos' defensive line in 2002, after coming to Denver from Baltimore. Dalton, playing in 16 games and starting 13, helped a defense that was considered one of league's best against the rush last year. Denver finished the season ranked fourth in the AFC an sixth in the NFL against the rush. The Broncos limited their opponents to just 93.1 yards a game on the ground, and just 3.9 yards per carry. Dalton last year accounted for 39 total tackles (33 solo) and one sack for 13 yards. He also had one pass defensed and one forced fumble. Dalton, who entered the league as an undrafted rookie free agent, has shown steady improvement each season in the NFL, and has appeared in 66 games (19 starts) and made 137 tackles (87 solo), including two sacks (-15), and added three passes defensed and three forced fumbles. In six postseason games, including Baltimore's 34-7 win over the Giants in Super Bowl XXXV, Dalton has posted six tackles (5 solo). He spent the first four years of his career with the Ravens.

2002: Dalton started at left defensive tackle in 13 of 16 games and posted 39 tackles (33 solo), including one sack (-13), as well as a pass defensed and a forced fumble. In the season finale vs. Ariz. (12/29) he sacked Josh McCown in the 4th qtr. for a 13-yd. loss, and forced a fumble on the play that was recovered by Ian Gold to set up a Denver touchdown. His pass defense came at Oak. (12/22) when he batted down a Rich Gannon pass. Dalton did not start vs. Ind. (11/24) when the Broncos opened up in a nickel defense, but did see significant action and posted a season-high five solo tackles. Dalton also did not start at Oak. (12/22) or vs. K.C. (12/15).

2001: Dalton played in all 16 games, with three starts, for Baltimore and recorded 29 tackles (15 solo), including three four-tackle games. His first came in the opener vs. Chicago (9/9), and included one solo stop. He also had four tackles (2 solo) vs. Cleve. (11/18) and vs. Ind. (12/2) (2 solo) in his first start of the season. In the latter contest he replaced the injured Sam Adams (knee). Dalton also had three three-tackle games on the year, and posted at least one stop in 14 of the 16 games. He also played in both of Baltimore's playoff contests and contributed one assisted tackle, which came in Baltimore's 27-10 Divisional Playoff loss at Pittsburgh.

2000: Dalton played an integral role on a defense that set a 16-game NFL season record by allowing only 165 points and 970 yards rushing. He played in all 16 games, making one start, and posted a career-high 33 tackles (21 solo) along with two pass breakups. Dalton's one start came on Oct. 29 vs. Pittsburgh, when he replaced the injured Tony Siragusa (calf) at right defensive tackle, and he responded with a season-high six tackles. He also had six tackles (5 solo) at Wash. (10/15) as he played most of the game in place of Sam Adams, who left the contest after the fourth play because of a groin injury. Dalton added five solo tackles in the Ravens' four-game postseason run that concluded with a victory over the Giants in Super Bowl XXXV in Tampa, Fla. He had two tackles in a Divisional Playoff win at Tennessee and a solo stop each in the AFC Championship Game at Oakland and the Super Bowl.

1999: Dalton played in 16 games, and made two starts, for Baltimore. He posted 32 tackles (16 solo), including one sack (-2), and forced a fumble. Dalton's first career sack came in a shutout victory over Cincinnati (12/26) and was one of his four tackles in the game, as the defense held Corey Dillon 27 rushing yards. He made his first career start at right defensive tackle vs. Cleve. Sept. 26, subbing for the injured Tony Siragusa (ankle). A week later he replaced Siragusa again (knee) in a start at Atlanta (10/3) and made four tackle, including one for a loss.

1998: Dalton, an undrafted rookie free agent, played in two games and recorded four tackles (2 solo). He forced a fumble against Barry Sanders and the Lions (12/27) and added two tackles. Dalton saw his first NFL action the week before against Chicago (12/20) and recorded two tackles. Dalton, the only rookie free agent to make the Ravens' roster that year, was inactive for the season's first 14 games.

COLLEGE: Dalton was a three-year letterman and two-year starter at Eastern Michigan, where he twice earned All-Mid American Conference honors and was selected co-Defensive MVP for the Eagles as a senior in 1997. He was selected after the season to play in the Hula Bowl All-Star Game, on the strength of a stellar season in which he recorded 46 tackles (23 solo) and two fumble recoveries while fighting through constant double- and triple teams as the top performer on the Eagles' defensive line. His junior year numbers were even better as he made 62 tackles. Dalton posted 116 tackles (58 solo) in his career, including four sacks, and recovered two fumbles. He was named Defensive Eagle of the Week five times in his career. Dalton also competed in track and field, and as a sophomore broke the school record for the shot put (56'-2"). He was a communications major.

PERSONAL: A native of Detroit, Mich., Dalton was a first-team all-state selection at Cooley High School. He also earned all-state honors in track and field. He was named first-team Class AA All-State and All-Public School League by the Detroit Free Press. Dalton was also first-team All-Metro Detroit and second-team All-Metro by the Detroit News. He was involved in a variety of community relations events while in Baltimore and is also a member of the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity. Not only do Dalton's hobbies include playing video games and dancing, but he also plays the cello. His nickname is "Jelly." Lional Deshaun Dalton was born Feb. 21, 1975 in Detroit, Mich. He and his wife, Kim, make their home in Aurora, Colo. During last season they had their first child, Laila (1).

Dalton's Regular Season Record

Year Club G S UT A TT S-Yds. I-Yds. PD FF FR TD-Int. TD-FR S Pts.

1998 Baltimore 2 0 2 2 4 0-0 0-0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

1999 Baltimore 16 2 16 16 32 1-2 0-0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

2000 Baltimore 16 1 21 12 33 0-0 0-0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0

2001 Baltimore 16 3 15 14 29 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2002 Denver 16 13 33 6 39 1-13 0-0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0

Career Totals 66 19 87 50 137 2-15 0-0 3 3 0 0 0 0 0

Dalton's Postseason Record

Year Club G S UT A TT S-Yds. I-Yds. PD FF FR TD-Int. TD-FR S Pts.

2000 Baltimore 4 0 5 0 5 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2001 Baltimore 2 0 0 1 1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Career Totals 6 0 5 1 6 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

And being the thorough guy that I am. :D:silly:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/cheerleaders/

:cheers:

Originally posted by Art

I just don't get why we'd trade for a guy like this. Like Larry Smith, I'm ok with taking up anyone we feel could help us in free agency for the minimum. But, let's not be giving anything up for these guys since they are really all the same player we're getting. Mostly career backups with a burst of being a starter and generally being underwhelming.

I think Dalton is different and has much more upside than folks like Larry Smith. There was quite a buzz about him in last year's free agent market and we were strong suitors for his services then. Perhaps he went the way of Big Daddy Winchellson. If so, that's a tragedy for a man with the talent he could bring to the table.

Beggars, however, can't be choosers. And we're the most aggressive panhandlers out there for solid DT talent. With the shortcomings Dalton may have, his positives and upsides seem to net a more favorable profit margin among the stiffs out there (and here) when you weigh everything together.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Lional Dalton quickly emerged as an inside force on the Broncos' defensive line in 2002, after coming to Denver from Baltimore. Dalton, playing in 16 games and starting 13, helped a defense that was considered one of league's best against the rush last year. Denver finished the season ranked fourth in the AFC an sixth in the NFL against the rush. The Broncos limited their opponents to just 93.1 yards a game on the ground, and just 3.9 yards per carry.

All right, that's all I need to read.

Get this fvcker.

Now.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Mr. Dalton according to the official Broncos site.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/

Lional Dalton quickly emerged as an inside force on the Broncos' defensive line in 2002, after coming to Denver from Baltimore.

I bet the min he signed with us, these same media people would change their opinion of him being a 'force on the Broncos' defensive line' to 'another overpaid underachiever on the redskins roster'.

Dirk, Denver did with 21 . . .

But is that really an appropriate barometer of run defense prowess?

Pittsburgh ranked 20th overall in rushing TDs allowed, but were first in the NFL in rushing defense . . . ahead of them in the TD rushing allowed department was Minnesota, who we all know had an atrocious run defense . . .

There is no doubt that Dalton has way more upside then Smith and I'd like to get him but the Broncos and everybody knows that we are in a bad situation and the Broncos will try to screw us big time for Dalton.

And..we are going to have to outbid other teams. It just doesn't look like a good situation even if we do get him. I have a feeling Snyder is going to give up a 2nd round pick for him and then I'll be upset because I don't think he's worth it.

I'd expect the Broncos site to gush about him. They're not going to say that they found him hiding under a cafeteria table eating a couple dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts and talking to his big toe.

I know they're high on Dorsett Davis and Pope. Maybe Eason got his act together, he was said to be virtually unblockable during Senior Bowl practices. Add Gardener to the mix and a serviceable guy as a fourth and suddenly there is no room for him. Still, I'll bet they're looking for a 3rd rounder, which I believe might be high for a 28 year old DT w/ limited starting experience and prior weight problems.

Golden

Both Denver and Pittsburgh had their secondaries exposed BIG TIME last year. Teams often chose to pick apart holes in the backfield rather than line up and play smashmouth football.

So that total rushing yards allowed stat (6th in the NFL?) is very misleading. The Yards per rush stat is a much better indicator - 3.9 is better than average but not great. Then when you take into account that they allowed 21 TDs on the ground last year? Not good.

Now you know why they signed DG and drafted 89 rookie lineman.

Dirk

Interesting perspective, Dirk. I haven't hashed out the numbers, so I really can't speak to the issue.

I will say this, however. If what you're saying is true about teams victimizing Denver's secondary, wouldn't that work out really well for us? Hell, we'd love folks to give up running the ball up the gut on us and throw on Champ and Smoot. If that's what Dalton will bring, I say he's a great deal.

Aren't we already missing next year's 4th or 5th for Chad Morton? Someone help me here...

No, IIRC the picks that we had to give up for Morton, Coles, Cannidate, et al. were all given up this last draft.

Dalton's names is one that stands out in my memory for some reason or another. If we could get him for a reasonable price, I'd say do it. He should be a nice fix until we draft a DT/DE next year (crosses fingers).

Oldskool

I believe we had to give up a pick in the 04 draft for Morton because we needed the "right" 5th rounder (ie one higher than our own since our 5th went for Brendan Stai) to acquire him. I believe we gave up a future 4th or 5th.

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/2/97681.html

From Insiders:

If New York lets Morton go, the Redskins would surrender a fifth-round pick in this year's draft as compensation. Washington re-worked a deal with New England to improve its fifth-round choice obtained earlier in the week; the Redskins now have a pick that originally belonged to Dallas. To sign a restricted free agent, a team must give up its own fifth-round pick, or one that is better.

The teams now will swap third-round picks to complete the deal; Washington also sent New England a fourth-round pick in 2004.

Youre right. We gave up a 4th rounder to NE next year.

Aren't we already missing next year's 4th or 5th for Chad Morton? Someone help me here...

Hey Dirk.. Check out our draft database: http://www.extremeskins.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=roster&file=draft_u

Look at the "2004" year as your query. You'll get your answer.

I hate to promote our features like this.... but I can't count how many times people have asked questions about things we've spent months compiling in database for everyone's benefit... and sometimes I can't help but wonder if people even know if it's there. :)

Archived