Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Raging Redskin

bubba9497

Raging Redskin

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20030813-115542-6973r.htm

An animal was thrashing around the Washington Redskins' weight room. Over the pounding bass and drums of the heavy metal band Tool, the animal's screams could be heard. They echoed through the halls of Redskin Park.

"I own this weight room!" the animal bellowed.

The VIPs and media coming up from practice peered quizzically on their way upstairs. They asked who — or what — was making such noises. The reply — "who do you think?" — was accompanied by a smile.

It was LaVar.

Of course.

Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington might be getting older, but he's as intense as ever. As he enters his fourth NFL season, he's got a new scheme, growing maturity and a centerpiece role on the team. And he remains determined to get the most out of every day, every practice, every game.

"That's how I live," Arrington said yesterday. "I'm like, all-out. I'm not going to half-[do] anything I do. That's why I don't lift with anyone else. I want to do what I'm doing. I don't want to wait to get on a machine. My mindset is, I'm preparing for battle."

He has no idea how long the battle will last. The talk that started in 2001 with his second and third NFL concussions resurfaced this training camp when he had a mild fourth one and missed several days of practice.

The end could come soon, as far as Arrington's concerned. So be it. Until then, there's no pain. There's no holding back.

"I always say, if I'm never able to play another down of football — today, right now, if it was over — it's been a heck of a ride for me," he said.

That mentality, of course, is omnipresent in his play — the good and the bad. Whether it's a sack of Kurt Warner that causes a game-winning turnover or a series of blown assignments that helps lose a winnable game, Arrington is indeed "all-out."

"I don't have to take pills or supplements or all kinds of stuff," Arrington said. "I don't have to sniff anything. I'm pumped up. I'm on natural highs. That's how I feel. It's straight adrenaline. A straight rush."

And that's any time he gets on the field. Remember Stephen Davis galloping for a 34-yard gain Saturday night? It might have been a preseason game, but Arrington chased him down.

"I think he just wants to come out every day, no matter the circumstance, and be relentless," defensive end Renaldo Wynn said. "I think he's trying to get himself to that point where he reaches his limit, even if it's exhaustion. He's trying to go beyond that. He wants to go full speed all the time."

A tweak in the scheme is one more reason Arrington is in high gear. Coordinator Marvin Lewis wanted him close to the line of scrimmage last season, but George Edwards will let him run. The expectation is for the type of year he had in 2001 when he terrorized opponents — only better.

"I feel comfortable," Arrington said. "I can be me. I can literally be me. They're really giving me the opportunity to take the bull by the horns."

Arrington is poised to make the final transformation into a "great" player, according to Hall of Fame-bound defensive end Bruce Smith.

Smith doesn't take the word "great" lightly. He believes it's used too frequently, whenever a player goes to the Pro Bowl or enjoys one or two big seasons. That, according to Smith, isn't true greatness.

"In my 19 years, I've heard the term 'great' tossed around quite a bit," Smith said. "A lot of times, it's used improperly. In this particular case, it's not."

Asked if Arrington is "great," or only getting there, Smith pondered.

"He's ready to turn the corner," Smith said. "He's had some outstanding years. And meanwhile, and this is even more important, he's done this in the midst of three [now four] defensive coordinators and four head coaches. That's unheard of. It's a tribute to his athletic ability, his character, and his determination to be the best."

Linebacker Jessie Armstead sees another element of transformation in Arrington.

"As he's getting mature, he's starting to lead in a way guys can follow," Armstead said.

Armstead watched how Arrington used to lead. He would go through his wild man routine and then get on teammates who didn't have the same intensity or make the same big plays.

Armstead, a five-time Pro Bowl player himself, battled the problem during the early part of his own career. Then he learned how to lead in a subtler, more helpful manner, something he sees Arrington doing now.

"He has to realize he's an elite player," Armstead said. "They don't come along every day. You have to know how to make that guy who's not an elite player, make him play as big as one. You can't beat him down. You've got to know how to turn him around."

The confluence of talent and maturity and the retirement of Redskins icon Darrell Green have made Arrington a focal point on this generally young team. Whether he's the new "Mr. Redskin" may not be determined yet, but he's certainly a front-runner.

"It's not something I set out to do," Arrington said. "But if it happens ..."

In that way and others, Arrington isn't focused on perception. He loves his relationship with the fans and community, but he isn't lobbying to be "Mr. Redskin." Others might consider him great, but he's not trying to sway their opinion. Told of Armstead's observation, he kind of shrugged.

The animal considers himself a regular guy who's able to do some incredible things.

"I don't feel like I'm any better than the next person," Arrington said. "But I do feel like when I go out there, I'm invincible."

Fab insight into a fab player. Lavar certainly seems to have stepped up his persona, if not his entire game. If his intensity coupled with a scheme more suited to his abilities, provides Lavar with the forum to realize his greatness, we'll all be that much happier.

The day I was at TC, Lavar was resting from his "mild" concussion. He still had time for the fans with jocularity and aplomb. I can't think of a better guy on the team to personify the Redskins. Pure intensity on the field, relaxed, funny, witty, and wise off the field. I, for one, will be rooting for Lavar as a player (obviously), and as a person.

I enjoy the guy's persona and I thought his LaVar Leap might have been the most exciting defensive play I've seen in college ball.

But I want to see him dominate on the field in the NFL. We haven't seen that yet. Not like Ray Lewis and, frankly, not even like Urlacher at this point.

This should be LaVar's year. He has the experience. He has the right defensive scheme in which to succeed.

But he's a sucker for overrunning plays still. As usual, the Skins talk the talk long before they walk the walk.

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

I enjoy the guy's persona and I thought his LaVar Leap might have been the most exciting defensive play I've seen in college ball.

But I want to see him dominate on the field in the NFL. We haven't seen that yet. Not like Ray Lewis and, frankly, not even like Urlacher at this point.

This should be LaVar's year. He has the experience. He has the right defensive scheme in which to succeed.

But he's a sucker for overrunning plays still. As usual, the Skins talk the talk long before they walk the walk.

Yeh but Lavar has had 4 new def coordinators is first 4 years in. He cant dominate if he not comfortable with what hes learning. I think this year will be his year to really put him on the map.

Urlacher has played in his system for a few years. So he's had continuity. Ray as well. But I agree, he will be dominant this year.

being a former linebacker and linebacker coach, Marty probably had a better insight as to how to use Arrington than Ray Rhodes and Marvin Lewis did.

he also was able to get more out Wilkinson than anyone else has to date.

I think Edwards is right in looking to tailor the defense more to the skills of the players.

The problem for Lewis was that here in DC he inherited big ticket players that already were entrenched and had a preferred style of play, be it Arrington or Champ Bailey.

In Baltimore Lewis got a chance to have input on what KIND of players the Ravens were acquiring and thus the players there on the D reflected more the skills 'toolbox' of what was necessary to be successful in his system.

It's great to have a system and prove with ideal talent that it can work.

But what makes a coach great like Gibbs is in realizing he doesn't have the exact mix he needs to run that system and adapts himself to what he does have to build up a contender over time.

Parcells has won with a similar philosophy. Drew Bledsoe was a different kind of qb than Phil Simms. The Pats threw more than the old Giants did. In New York he adapted again, realizing he had less pure talent at some spots.

Originally posted by bulldog

being a former linebacker and linebacker coach, Marty probably had a better insight as to how to use Arrington than Ray Rhodes and Marvin Lewis did.

I totally agree and I've said that before. Marty's simplified defense was designed to basically do two things: tilt the field towards Lavar, and put Champ on the opponent's best WR. Not a bad strategy, all things considered, when you've got two potential HoF'ers on your defense, eh? And it's no wonder why Lavar had by far the best year of his career that year.

This article is the sh*t. Lavar's solid work ethic & desire to succeed is unmatched. I can't wait to see him out on the field this year. I know he will have an amazing year, and George Edwards will deserve a pat on the back for allowing Lavar to run loose. Keep jammin out to Tool and laying the smackdown L.A.

LaVar is about as much fun to have around and on this team as any guy since I’ve been following them. His love for life and the game are both obvious and contagious, and I will never worry about him “dogging” it for even one play in one game.

What I do worry about a bit, are 1) his propensity to ding himself up (concussions being the biggest concern) by being precisely that kind of balls-to-the-wall-player he is, and 2) that, despite the reported maturing, he is still just as likely to overrun a play and be a target for play-action fakes and misdirection and the like, as he is to make a huge play. That run by Davis the article is a perfect example; great hustle play, but the reason he had to make the play in the first place is because it looked like he overran the hole in the first place to set Davis loose.

I hope the maturity aspect comes into evidence on the field, beginning early this year. I gotta tell ya, if I’m the Jets, I’m planning to run all kinds of junk at him to try and bait him into overrunning and overpursuing plays. And I’m also probably not being above telling my guys to talk to him after every play and try to suck a couple 15-yard unsportsmanlikes out of him.

LaVar has proven he has a rare gift in body.

What I’m hoping selfishly – meaning for the long-term good of my team – is that he’ll learn to not let his aggressiveness on the field blow him up physically, and also that he’ll spend as much time in the classroom over the coming years as he does the weightroom. He’s proven a monster in the latter ... not completely sure about his committment yet to the former.

well, the Skins spent more than a few years trying to get Dexter Manley to be more disciplined vs. the run and were still working on him in that regard when he was posting 14 and 18.5 sacks in 1985 and 1986 :)

some guys are just stellar athletes and use their athleticism to excel, even though as you mentioned with greater discipline they might be even BETTER overall players.

hopefully, Arrington will choose to follow the latter course. He certainly seems more intelligent than Manley and more disciplined in his personal life.

whether he translates that into emotional maturity and self-study and improvement remains to be seen.

Archived