Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RJ over Matthews ?

Mickalino

Are we really better off with RJ over Shane Matthews ? Did we think that RJ's un-earned Super Bowl ring was going to bring us good luck ? Or that he would suddenly change his ways after years of poor play ? What was the deal with Matthews ? What did he do to fall out of Spurrier's favor ? Isnt he the same guy that won Offensive Player of the Week last year ? Granted it was against the Cards, but I doubt Weurffel or RJ could have done that.

Matthews clearly wanted to be the starter here and made no bones about sulking when he was pulled for Ramsey. In the end Ramsey is the qb the Skins are going to win or lose with under Spurrier, Matthews simply failed to grasp the reality of the politics of the situation.

Rob Johnson is competitive and no doubt would like to be a starter but I think he came in with the proper mind set, allowing that Ramsey will be the starter unless something untoward happens.

In that regard he is not a distraction for Spurrier or for Ramsey.

I think Johnson did very well with the crew he was playing with against Carolina. The line was awful. Our second team line was manhandled by the Panthers DL and blitzing LBs.

Two drives where Johnson had the team on the move were ended for all practical purposes by penalties to the line for holding or an illegal block.

To get a true feel for Johnson you are going to have let him play with Coles and Gardner and get decent protection from the starting line.

Originally posted by bulldog

Matthews clearly wanted to be the starter here and made no bones about sulking when he was pulled for Ramsey. In the end Ramsey is the qb the Skins are going to win or lose with under Spurrier, Matthews simply failed to grasp the reality of the politics of the situation.

Well said, Bulldog. Matthews didn't seem to have the right attitude to bring him back this year, especially coming in as a definite back-up.

Johnson is better than Shane by far... I cannot for the life of me figure out why so many of you guys hate Johnson, did he kill your family members???

I'm no fan of his by any means, but lets face the facts, he's mobile, he has a strong arm, he's younger than Shane....

No one can possibly say that Johnson was holding the ball too long vs the Panthers, he had NO time to throw what so ever and actually did a decent job.

Unless he raped your wife, lay off the guy.

First, I'm not a Johnson supporter, I'm a DieHard Ramsey fan, but I was at camp and Johnson looked a whole heck of alot better than Shane, DW or Sage did last year at Carlisle. Read my camp reports, his "struggles" were over reactions in my opinion, the game play speaks for itself. Is he a master of Spurrier's system yet... no way, but he's not Satan.

I never said Johnson was great, just clearly better than the Shane Matthews Band. Shane not only didnt have the physical tools, but he didn't have the intangibles either. No leadership, a primadonna attitude, and he didnt even seem to know the offense that well.

Johnson is younger Shane with more athleticism and a better arm. He has also performed better than Shane throughout his career.

I'll agree that from what I've heard Johnson has looked horrible in practices (well, until we signed DW). But I'll also say that Johnson didnt play that bad in the game. On the same note, I can say that Shane looked horrible in the game and in practice.

I'll measure it by the common denominator. Shane got beat out by DW last year and SS didnt even want to put Shane back under center. At least Johnson is beating out DW right now, even if he wasnt doing good until we signed DW.

RJ over Shane!

Both Johnson and Matthews had had stretches of good and bad football as starters. Johnsons younger and has a better arm, and (ironically because Matthews is a former Gator) fits our system better. While I too don't like that he holds the ball for too long and has gotten hit and injured too many times, I don't get the hate. There's really no contest.

By all accounts RJ has looked like thrice warmed over arse in practice, but remember that he hasnt had alot of playing time in the last couple of years and is going from the WCO to the FnG, which are about as polar opposite passing schemes as you can get.

Personally Id rather have SM over DW but RJ over either one.

Archived