Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Intensity Picks Up As Camp Winds Down

Posse81

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11853

Intensity Picks Up As Camp Winds Down

08/13/2003

Training Camp Report, August 13

If the intensity of recent practices is any indication, the Redskins are ready for this Saturday’s pre-season game against the New England Patriots. Just before practice ended, players scuffled after a play for the second time in three days.

“It’s just the intensity coming out of a lot of players,” said cornerback Fred Smoot. “It’s not that we’re split apart as a team, it’s just that it got real physical out here. It’s good to see that we’re practicing with a high level of intensity.”

Right tackle Jon Jansen, linebacker Antonio Pierce, defensive end Ladairis Jackson and rookie tight end Kevin Ware were among the participants in the skirmish.

The tussle ended an eventful practice, with the defense continuing to exhibit solid play. Preparing for his 19th season, Bruce Smith is still working hard. During run play drills, he fought off left tackle Chris Samuels and tackled Trung Canidate on a run up the middle. On the next play, Smith was pushed into the ground by tight end Robert Royal, but still managed to get a hand in on tackling Sultan McCullough.

Here’s a look at more of the highlights from Wednesday afternoon’s practice:

Player: First-year wide receiver Pat Wood**** made a crisp reception (on a quick out pattern), but it was running back Robert Gillsepie who earned raise from offensive coordinator Hue Jackson. Gillespie made a key block that allowed Wood**** to avoid the first wave of tacklers and go up-field.

Play: During a scrimmage, LaVar Arrington and Jeremiah Trotter overloaded the left side of the line and came on a linebacker blitz. Samuels was able to stop Arrington in his tracks, but Trotter was able to break through and reach quarterback Patrick Ramsey. One play later, however, Ramsey connected with Taylor Jacobs on a 60-yard TD pass.

Quote: “I have one of the rookies carry my gear off the field every day. That’s what rookies do. That’s what I had to do. And that’s what they’re going to keep on doing. So if you want to come to the NFL, you’re going to have to carry my stuff.” – Fred Smoot, on rookie initiations

Atmosphere: As anyone who has attended a Redskins’ practice knows, there are moments when it can be somewhat tedious. This morning, a group of about 12 children took matters into their own hands and started their own football game in an open area behind where fans sit to watch practice.

Notes: Head coach Steve Spurrier said during his post-practice press conference that tight end Robert Royal could start at tight end in this Saturday’s game against New England. “We haven’t decided who’s going to start yet, but Robert’s been running a little bit more with the first team,” Spurrier said. “He’s caught the ball a little bit better and blocked more consistently”…As players scuffled on the field during this morning’s practice, Arrington stood about 40 yards away surveying the scene. He turned to the fans and media to let everyone know he wasn’t among the participants in the skirmish. “Hey, I’m standing right here,” he said, eliciting laughter from the crowd… The Redskins will have the afternoon off from practice. Camp ends tomorrow with two practices: in the morning from 9-11 a.m. and in the afternoon from 4-6 p.m.

-- Compiled by Gary Fitzgerald

Great to see Royal in the mix.

It's blocking first and pass catching second.

Glad to see Royal is doing well here.

Knocked Bruce down eh? I know it's only one play, but it's a good sign huh.

Here's to improvement by the starters and no injuries....:cheers:

Archived