Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Playoff expansion almost certain

Commissioner Bud Selig’s plan to expand baseball’s playoffs to 10 teams seemed inevitable after little to no opposition emerged during meetings this week with owners and general managers.

Because baseball’s labor contract runs to December 2011, the extra round of playoffs is not likely to start until 2012.

Selig said his special 14-man committee will discuss adding two wild-card teams when it meets Dec. 7 during the winter meetings in nearby Lake Buena Vista.

The regular-season schedule will almost certainly not be reduced from 162 games.

“There’s not much interest in that,” he said.

Let me know when the Braves don't choke in the playoffs 12 times in 13 years :)

Two games away from being a more pathetic version of the Buffalo Bills. That's a shame.

Dude, the Nats don't even MAKE the playoffs. So how can you even go there? Ridiculous.

And the comparison to the Bills is also ridiculous. The Bills never won a title. We have (3 actually). Nice try.

• 3 weeks later...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Agh3QtO8LnXD4uNKeGoPcX85nYcB?slug=jp-gonzalezredsox120410

It’s been almost a decade since Boston Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino called the New York Yankees “the evil empire,” a sobriquet that becomes more laughable by the day. The Yankees are no more evil, nor any more of an empire, than the one over which Lucchino presides. They are together baseball’s big, bad bullies, and to regard them as anything less than equals is to deny the truth.

In acquiring Adrian Gonzalez(notes) from the San Diego Padres for three minor leaguers Saturday, the Red Sox pillaged another city unequipped to deal with the might of their checkbook.

The Padres had a hometown kid, an impeccable citizen, a first-rate leader and an excellent ballplayer in Gonzalez. And because he is all of those things, he is likewise an expense a revenue-starved franchise such as the Padres simply cannot afford, and so they have agreed to deal him to Boston for starting pitcher Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo, center fielder Reymond Fuentes and another player to be named.

But don't you know only the Yankees buy championships!

Jayson Werth got 7 years/126 million from the Nats. Which rounds out to about 18m a year. The Phils offered him 3 years/51 million which rounds out to 17m a year.

Don't understand the logic here but good for Werth I guess. I hope he's content not contending for the rest of his career.

Jayson Werth got 7 years/126 million from the Nats. Which rounds out to about 18m a year. The Phils offered him 3 years/51 million which rounds out to 17m a year.

Don't understand the logic here but good for Werth I guess. I hope he's content not contending for the rest of his career.

YouMad.jpg

Good for Yankee lite (Boston)

The irony is hilarious how the Red Sox trashed the Yankees as being the Evil Empire for snaring Rodriguez and a bunch of other players, but then a few years later they do the exact same thing!

That's why Yankee hate makes no sense.

The irony is hilarious how the Red Sox trashed the Yankees as being the Evil Empire for snaring Rodriguez and a bunch of other players, but then a few years later they do the exact same thing!

It's all about the farm system and how to use it. The Yankees haven't figured that part out yet.

Edited by fullnelson9999

The Yankees and Red Sox were #1 and #2 in salary last season. The Yankees spent $64 million more than the Red Sox. That's why all the Yankee hate.

The Yankees and Red Sox were #1 and #2 in salary last season. The Yankees spent $64 million more than the Red Sox. That's why all the Yankee hate.

In the Yahoo article I posted, the author states that the Red Sox called the Yankees out for being the "Evil Empire" when they do the exact same thing.

BTW...who's the big market team snaring all the talent this year

WHY IT COULDN'T BE THE YANKEES

I WONDER WHO IT COULD BE

Don't blame the Yankees for exploiting the loophole in baseball, it's not a Yankee issue, it's a baseball-big-market dominance issue

I dislike both the Yankees and Red Sox but it doesn't bother me that they spend cash. :)

I wish the O's would spend a little more.

---------- Post added December-9th-2010 at 02:20 PM ----------

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/12/09/winter.meetings.thursday/

8:14 a.m.

The Yankees have increased their offer to superstar free-agent pitcher Cliff Lee, to seven years. It isn't known yet if the dollar amount is changing. It makes sense for the Yankees to offer seven years, given that the other top two players on the market, Jayson Werth and Carl Crawford, both got seven-year contracts.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH