Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas Star-Telegram: Is Parcells missing boat on acquiring vet QB?

goldenster95

A thought has often come to me when thinking of the Parcells/Jones marriage and watching as Jones has maintained so much input and decision making in the whole deal. I have wondered, simply based on imagination, whether part of the agreement between the two was that Jones would give in to Parcells when necessary, but, for the first year, just one year, he had to kind of play the hand he was dealt and see if he could mold some of Jerry's players.

Parcells has brought in some of his former crew of guys no doubt. That's to be expected. But, the Cowboys had a surprisingly quiet offseason as a general point outside of Bill's former guys. What we know of Parcells as a coach would seem to indicate his defense is built substantially differently than any he's had as it lacks great size. His offense has neither a proven back nor a proven QB and it's got no natural leader, especially with Allen still questionable.

You can't tell me he couldn't have gotten Testaverde for a song from the Jets if he went for him hard. In the end I wonder if it was part of the deal for Bill to try it for a year with Jerry's guys and if it works, for Jerry to maintain some greater role in decision making, but if it fails, Parcells will shop for his own groceries.

We know Parcells wants to do that. We know he likes to build teams his way. Why he stayed so quiet in the offseason if he had total control surprised me because I figured he'd gut that team and bring in HIS type of players. Instead it appears he's going to spend the year finding out which guys on the existing roster are his type of players.

I just wonder if next year there'll be a different dynamic between Parcells and Jones that puts Parcells out front in all the moves the team makes and pushes Jones to the extreme background. Again, this is not based on anything at all and probably is just bunk. But, it's a theory :).

Wasn't there another new coach last year who was ridiculed for not bringing in a decent, veteran QB? Who was that, anyway?

Of course, when Parcells does it ... or doesn't do it ... it will be fine. He has a "bigger challenge" with this team than with any of his others.

I think, the fact is that the cowboys team isn't ready to compete for the playoffs, and I think jones finally realized that last year and gave up the dream and understood that they need to truly rebuild and he started at the top, bringing in a legitimate coach.

Given that dallas is not ready for the playoffs and they maybe 2 or 3 years away to seriously contend, do any of these QBs including Testevarde, Blake, Griese have what it takes to take the team to the superbowl? Do you really have that much trust in Plummer? what would any of these QBs buy the cowobys this year and next? couple of more wins? playoffs? I doubt it.

Parcells has mentioned that he has been looking, but hasn't seen anything he likes. The QB and RB positions are concerns, but I think he is going about rebuilding very methodically. He is trying to solidify the OL (and with LA's status unknown that hurts things a bit). He likes to have a strong running game but, there really wasn't anything available this year other than davis and how long is he going to be effective given the 2 or 3 year target. He also wanted to do some of his own evaluation of players. Some of the players have stepped up and responded based on training camp reports and some have not changed their ways, and they probably are on their way out.

Parcells wasn't going to rely on reports from campo era, he wanted to see things first hand including the defense. I think zimmer is on the clock as well and the defensive scheme and palns have to show they work or else zimmer and his group are going to be on their way out too. I am sure if some one like Bilicheck was available like the times past, zimmer would have been gone as well, its just that he didn't have anyone else he really trusted.

I don't agree with the writer on this issue, just bringing in another QB who won't give you anything is not going to get you anywhere or provide long term solution, in addition to the fact that none of is going to make you go gaga over their availability,

I think it speaks fathoms to the incompetence of Jerrah that he never used a high to middle round pick to draft Emmitt's successor. There were plenty of chances over the last three years, and it's not like he didn't know when Emmitt was going to leave- as soon as he broke the record.

Here's a team that has lived by a solid running game for more than a decade, and has totally failed to plan for the future even as they were pushing their Hall of Fame, Super Bowl Champion, all-time rushing leader out the door.

And don't give me any of this Troy Hambrick garbage, the man's a bum!

I always thought Jerrah was the homo :)

The Jets under Parcells had the best draft of any team in the NFL in 2000, proving Parcells still had "it." While the boys did well in the draft a year ago that was really an anamoly for the Jerrah post-Jimmy J era. So why is Tuna-boy content to let Michael Jackson continue to run personnel matters. Is Parcells just looking to pick up a paycheck to recoup the losses from his divorce?....:shoothead

by not getting a proven starter at qb, I think Parcells is admitting he is going to take his lumps in 2003 watching Antonio Bryant, Roy Williams, Terence Newman and a host of other younger players develop while the club goes 5-11.

then he will use that top 5 pick next year to either draft a franchise qb or trade to acquire a veteran and some additional picks.

Parcells is in Dallas on a three year deal, and I am now getting the feeling that Parcells will indeed stay the three years and that third year is when he and Jones are targeting for this team to climb in the standings and make a run.

There were simply too many holes in 2003 to try and contend. Not only did Emmitt leave with no proven runner in reserve. But also Larry Allen looks as if he might not be able to return to his old form.

Galloway is 32 at WR and the defense lacks playmakers in the front seven.

Parcells is using Year 1 to institute his philosophy and discard the guys that don't want to work.

In Year 2 he will fill in the pieces and start to build good momentum and then in Year 3 he will look to leapfrog in the NFC.

Parcells has a 4 year deal not three.

I agree that he is doing evaluations this year to find out about the players. the one problem with respect to the draft that Jerry changed a couple of years back was how much input the coaches use to have in the draft. they changed that two years ago an got more input from the scouting team and the results have been two very solid drafts the past two years. that's probably why they didn't draft a RB sooner as they should have. I think this is one area that will be addressed in the draft next year.

look for galloway to be either released or his contract restructured, based on how he plays this year, he has a 6 million salary cap hit next year. I think that's why Parcells brought in Glenn, just in case and to also bolster the WR depth.

I've been saying for two months that Parcells is sandbagging this year. Maybe its just starting to sink into Cowboys fans. Maybe not - they surely aren't the most reasonable people.

What Dallas fans refuse to admit is that their team has very little young quality talent. Fine, they have a safety and a linebacker. Thats it. Flozelle is pretty good. Not great. Remember, no one has a clue how Newman will turn out. Years of missing #1 draft picks (2, and high ones!) for acquiring the underachieving Galloway, TRADING UP in the second for Squincy, drafting fullbacks in the early rounds, etc...... has left that team with a talent void. I dont' care if you have a master motivator, you can't polish a turd.

If I hear "Parcells is on a three year plan - he will get the guys he wants in this year, make a push for the playoffs in year two, and then year three is the time they make their run" I'm going to friggen puke. Yes, Parcells deserves some benefit of the doubt, but beyond that what in the hell is that team developing? The three year plan is magically true just because someone cleverly invented it? Parcells had 3 first round picks in his turnaround draft for the Jets. You think thats going to happen next year?

Oh..and keep thinking that Parcells is going to groom a young stud QB. He just LOOOOOOOVESSSSS young QBs.

Originally posted by tenaciousd

Oh..and keep thinking that Parcells is going to groom a young stud QB. He just LOOOOOOOVESSSSS young QBs.

Isn't that what redman said? :D

Sandbagging isn't quite the word. That implies that you have something hidden away that your opponents don't expect.

Another point - how can you develop Antonio Bryant with the current talent level at QB. I agree that he's going to be a real good WR, but he needs to begin to develop a rhythm with his QB. If they aquire a QB next year, that's just one more year that it will take for the offense to come together. The NFC East has too much talent on the other teams to allow the Cowboys offense to gel next season. That will be two consecutive year of poundings before they can begin to move.

It will be interesting to watch what Parcells does with the team in the next few years, as well as watching his relationship with JJ, who is definitely not George Young.

Rip Taylor..lol

This guy is an idiot. Who exactly should the Cowboys have spent all the money on? He lays out his ideas by starting with "Jake Plummer, the best free agent QB this year"

Which right there should tell anyone with a brain to STOP LOOKING FOR A QB.

If JAKE PLUMMER is the BEST you can do, you can't improve your team, no way, no shape, no form.

It's no wonder the majority of fans are misinformed drooling idiots. THIS dope is supposedly the expert.

Mark Brunell is going to be Bill Parcells QB.

~Bang

Archived