Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone noticed the patch on the jerseys saturday?

jbooma

From what I understand, Dan Snyder's passion for the team was nutured by father, and his father was a minority owner in the team. And as a minority owner of the team, I find it very appropriate that he be honored with a patch on the uniform.

I'm alright with it. I'm sure there will be those who will make it out to be negative just because it's Snyder, but I don't see anything negative about honoring relatives that deserve it OR minority owners that deserve it.

So the critics can just stick it, ya know? :)

It's not easy to criticize a man for the manner in which he chooses to honor the memory of his deceased father without coming off looking like dirtbag.

If Woody Johnson did this with the Jets, I might ask myself whether uniform alterations commemorating individuals should be reserved for individuals whose memories are unmistakably intertwined with the franchise - i.e, owners, coaches, notable players. I can see that perspective and it's one that I might share.

People in NY are very sensitive about the uniform which remains virtually identical to the one worn by Namath & Co. A movement to alter the logo last year was snuffed out by outraged fans. Also from the huge stir last year, you would've thought the Jets had turned to Dolphin teal when the green pants were rolled out for two games. In an age when players come and go each year, the classic uniform remains the one constant for fans, representing continuity and garnering sentimental appeal. People don't like to see it altered, even in small ways, unless for a compelling reason to which the entire fan base can relate.

That's just my initial gut feeling. However, I certainly understand Snyder's decision and feel that under the circumstances, it's somewhat out of line to second guess it.

Originally posted by redman

As long as they place the patch over Flemister's eye after the game, I have no problem with it.

So that was the problem during the game? He had one over each eye? :)

It's certainly appropriate for the owner to honor his father (and part-owner) in this manner.

Archived