Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Too funny: Jets charging season ticket wait listers $50

goldenster95

Yup - with the cost of a new stadium on the horizon for 2008, it's never too early to start filling up the coffers. The Jets have actually had some of the least expensive tickets in the league for years with relatively low inflation of prices, so the charge of greed is very much off base.

I've got my season tix so I'm not affected, but the $50 gives you access to the StubHub - a season ticket exchange program which allows you to get tickets for games at face value. So if you're on the waiting list, you can easily recoup your $50 by not having to deal with scalpers and their fees.

How about the guy in the article who's taking himself off the list after waiting for 10 years because he doesn't want to pay the $50? And he's accusing the Jets of being cheap? :shoothead

I know this is an unpopular view, but I actually wouldn't mind the Skins doing this (other than the obvious media backlash that would ensue).

I'm on the Skins waiting list myself, and a $50 fee would help separate those (like me) who really want tickets from those who are just on the waiting list for the hell of it. Right now, the Skins encourage people to sign up for the waiting list at every turn -- at FedEx Field, at the Redskins stores, on Redskins.com, etc. So the wait list has ballooned, and I may never get my hands on tickets.

I can see both sides of this, though. I'm sure the Jets are just trying to make a quick buck.

That's awesome. People pay for the right to wait to pay more money. I'm impressed. Them's some smart fans up there in Jet's country.

for the possibility of being able to spend more at some unspecified date. No way.

I can honestly say that there is no way I would knowingly pay $50 for the right to buy merchandise that can be purchased elsewhere, and there is no way I would pay $50

But it's great marketing. Afterall, there are only so many seats to sell. There's infinite space on the waiting list. AS for the right to buy merchandice...would this be at stadium prices? I'm sure the Jet's ownership won't make any money on what they sell to those on the waiting list. What a great scam.

It ranks just beyhind selling worm farms.

I'm sure we all see the irony in Snyder fans criticizing Woody Johnson for charging the fans. Let's forget that and take another look at what's going on.

A significant number of people will drop off the waiting list so the $1M per year estimate is way off - probably closer to $700K. Now, you all realize that in order to make the same amount of money, all the Jets would need to do is charge season ticket owners an extra dollar per seat? There are 75,000 seats and 8 home games, plus 2 preseason - roughly 750,000 seats per season. Maybe not all those seats are owned by season ticket holders, but you get the idea.

If the Jets went this route, there'd be no article, no thread, no critcism. Just standard seat price inflation that happens in nearly every single stadium every single year. Instead, the Jets will pare down the waiting list, solidify a commited marketing base, get rid of dead weight who wouldn't purchase PSLs for the new stadium anyway, and save the season ticket holders a buck. You don't like it?

Flowtrain,

You really don't see a difference in the two senarios you proposed?

On one hand he increases the charge for those getting something. IN the current senario, he charges people that are currently getting nothing (and will continue to get nothing).

Here's another idea why not just charge the seasonticket holders and fans in attendance a "release fee" every time they need to use the bathroom? 75,000 fans @ $1.00 a tinkle or dump x 3 per game 10 times a year ( 8 regular, 2 preseason) would bring in $2,225,000. I mean really you have a captive audience and you really wouln't be taking money for nothing. Jets flush service!! Just think of the possibilities.

OK - how about this.

Let's say the Jets have it in mind to hit season ticket holders with a $5K PSL for the right to purchase season tickets in the new stadium in 2008.

They recognize that they'll need to replace some current season ticket holders who won't purchase the PSL. The waiting list will provide these replacements. If a guy is waiting for 4 seats for 5 years, he's already invested $1K. It's much harder for this guy to walk away from the $5K PSL than it is for a guy who's invested absolutely nothing. He's committed - if he turns away now, how can he justify the money he already spent? He can't cut bait - he's got to go the full distance and buy the PSL.

Since as I mentioned, it's incredibly easy to make the same money raising seat prices an extra dollar - this is the only rationale I can see the Jets having. Make sense?

from Flowtrain

Since as I mentioned, it's incredibly easy to make the same money raising seat prices an extra dollar

Do you really think many people would pay more money to see the "New York Giants Lite" football team;)

You know.............less filling!

If a guy is waiting for 4 seats for 5 years, he's already invested $1K.

Flow,

Doesn't that strike you as a bit unfair. Someone with no promise to get a seat, possibly a high liklihood must be 1000 dollars just to remain on a list? The recoupment advantage he gets is that if a ticket is turned in and he is first in line he can by that at no savings! So, the endline is you invest a thousand dollars and then may need to further purchase a PSL, and you have no guarentee of what the actual seats will cost, plus no guarentee that you will ever get a seat in your lifetime. I know positions on the redskin ticket waiting list are sometimes willed to heirs. Unless money is meaningless to you to the individual fan it is a brutal slap in the face.

What will separate you from the others on the list is when your name comes up, you'll pay for the tickets where as they won't (they may have put their name on the list just to win something). Snyder uses the list for marketing purposes (like the Tailgate...which does let people jump you on the list, but regular tickets still become available). You will pay a $50 seat activation fee (a joke) for regular season tickets with the Redskins.

Archived