Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is SOS In It For The Long Haul?

dannyskin

Just like most of us, I am convinced that the "Skins will be a better team this season and will challenge the Eagles for the NFC East title. However, if my "guarded" optimism turns out to be unwarranted and they end up at 8-8 or worse does SOS stick around. I hate to be negative, but I believe that if he sticks with it, he'll take us to the promised land. I just hope he has the patience and the backbone

he said 3 years. judge him after 3 years and then he and the team would go from there. based on the money and on those comments I fully expect Spurrier to be the coach through the end of the 2004 season at least.

If he did otherwise, he would be a chicken in my book. You don't come up to this level of competition, waggle your nose around and then walk away when you get punched in the gut.

You find a way to master the game and become one of the punchers :D

I think the only way Spurrier is gone at the end of this season is if the season is a total and unmitigated disaster -- I'm talking 4-12, 3-13, with total incompetancy on offense.

If there's injuries or other misfortune (like Pat getting hurt, knock on wood) then he'll probably stick around, but if we get another season of turnovers, mental mistakes, and penalties, I'm not sure he'll stick around.

-s

Originally posted by bulldog

he said 3 years. judge him after 3 years and then he and the team would go from there.

I actually think I read an article this off season with Spurrier saying that he told Snyder that if he doesn't get the results that Spurrier expects by the end of the third year, he'll resign.

I think Spurrier's been pretty honest about that... he said if the team is no better off after year 3, he will resign, I believe his thinking is that his system doesn't work in the pros if he can't show improvement over a 3 year period. Sounds fair. However, If we make the playoffs this year and maybe the championship game next year, I fully expect him to be around a bit. I honestly feel that he wants to win a championship and have a try at a second, but I dont' think he'll want to rebuild again. I think he's in it for one run.

I think he's in it as long as he has a QB. If we end up being as successful as he believes we can, even in these next two years, I dont see why he won't be around here for quite some time. Just like the Eagles, I dont see us "rebuilding" until Ramsey retires (that is, if Ramsey is the QB we think he can be). So if we don't have to rebuild, then we'll keep challenging for a title. So SS won't quit.

i think as long as he makes the playoffs this year or next he will renew for a few more years...hopefully when he does decide to leave we will be able to hire a head coach from within the coaching staff we have now to carry on spurrier's vision as long as we are still winning...id hate to revamp the team once again.

Unless he's got a ring, and maybe b/c he's got one, I think SS is gone after 2005. Call me crazy but I feel like I've read in several different places that this is just kind of a temporary jaunt for him and he's not really looking to coach anymore after about four or five years. He's in his mid-to-late fifites, but he seems a heck of a lot more spry at that age than say a Bill Parcells or a Dan Reeves.

BUT, after two decades of coaching, he might be ready to hang it up and just stick to playing golf. Who knows, the man can be hard to read. You would think that someone as competitive as he is would have a hard time giving it up. But then again, maybe he can get his rocks off just by playing one-on-one with his son and beating little kids at games of UNO.

Hopefully, if he does go things will work out and we'll be able to promote someone from within up the ranks.

Noah Brandise anyone..........

Originally posted by codeorama

That's one thing that I hope is that SS jr or Noah or another staff member is groomed to replace SS after he wins his championship and walks off into the sunset.

Congrats on making the ring of fame. Man that was quick!

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

3 year plan.

Year 1 - Evalute.

Year 2 - Build Offense

Year 3- Build Defense (should make playoffs)

Year 4 - If it works Promised land.

HTTR.

year one was defense. We spent money on wynn, armstead, and trotter. From here on out, this is basically our team. We have enough money to lock up our current players, but not enough to spend on any new guys. We will not be able to afford to build our D-line through free agency.

If by build defense you mean draft defense then maybe, but our free agent days are about over.

-DB

I do not think Spurrier is tired of coaching... He is a fierce competitor, so for him to give up without winning would be very, very painful. I'm sure he's just temporarily humbled by last year's problems. Even though 7-9 is not that bad for a 1st year coach from college.

reagan,

what gives you that idea? Every comment coming out of camp has been positive. Spurrier's detractors have been cut. The defense sure sounds like it listens to edwards, and edwards has been supportive of spurrier.

Have you heard anything or are you just making stuff up?

-DB

Archived