Extremeskins

DT Cannida SIGNED, is Wilkenson next?

Rat_Boy

Redskins' Line of Work

After Loss, Team Signs DT Cannida, Considers Re-Signing Wilkinson

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, August 11, 2003; Page D01

The Washington Redskins decided yesterday to sign free agent defensive tackle James Cannida. Club officials hoped the move would help to bolster the interior of a defensive line that struggled to stop the running game of the Carolina Panthers in the Redskins' 20-0 loss Saturday night in their exhibition opener.

Cannida, a five-year NFL veteran who spent last season with the Indianapolis Colts, was traveling to the Washington area last night and, barring any last-minute snags, should sign a one-year, minimum-salary contract and be on the practice field this afternoon. Team officials also continue to contemplate the possibility of re-signing Dan Wilkinson, the veteran defensive tackle who was released by the team on the second day of training camp.

Read the rest right HERE.

Our D-line would be very solild, depth wise, if we manage to resign BDW. I mean on the ends we have Upshaw, Smith, Wynn, Zellner? L. Jackon. Tackles Noble, Haley, BDW, Cannida. Would we keep all of them or if we do sign BDW are we gonna be doing some other cutting?

Ryan

We NEED a run-stuffer, and two of them if possible, as evidenced by last night's performance. Noble and Haley aren't fat or strong enough to plug up the middle.

All Cannida and Big Daddy will have to do is stand there and get down with their obese selves, ala Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

Size wise, he doesn't seem to be any bigger than what the present starters are and his games played are less than impressive. Who knows? He was on the way last night and was worked out a little more than a week ago. Could be adding depth instead of girth. Also, amazing what the signing of DW did for Johnson.

Rumors have it anyway.

:cheers:

Cannida was part of a defensive line which was manhandled by our dominant offensive line last year. To think that Cannida will start over noble and haley is foolish. this is a depth move nothing more. We still need to pick up one of the bears' defensive tackles. Hopefully we can trade them a running back and reciever or something....

-DB

I am happy, I wanted them to sign Cannida last year but he went to the Colts...and while its not a positive that he was put on the open market, he had enough potential for Dungy to bring him over from Tampa AND the Colts do have a logjam at DT, although none of them are Pro Bowlers

and now when a running back goes Stephen Davis on us, we can blame Cannida

Originally posted by Yomar

I am happy, I wanted them to sign Cannida last year but he went to the Colts...and while its not a positive that he was put on the open market, he had enough potential for Dungy to bring him over from Tampa AND the Colts do have a logjam at DT, although none of them are Pro Bowlers

and now when a running back goes Stephen Davis on us, we can blame Cannida

:laugh: :laugh:

Remember we also have Holsey for potential depth. Adding Cannida is an acceptable move, especially for depth in the rotation, but it's not a move that, alone, is going to improve us all that much. It'll lengthen our bench and allow us to have a bit of a safety net if someone gets hurt, but this is a VERY average player.

He's not listed as a bigger player than Haley and Haley is said to be our strongest player, so he's the sort who would seem plenty strong enough to play inside. I wasn't crazy about Holsey before we released Cannida, but, he provided a pretty solid No. 4 tackle option. He's probably back to that with Cannida. I still think we'll be making another move of some sort along the line before the preseason is over though.

I actually think that Cannida has some real potential, he showed that he could be a player in TB, but was not excatly dominant with the Colts. Hopefully he shows something now.

While I'm not prepared to right off the DL yet, I mean it was only 1 pre-season game, I would like a vet to be brought in to be part of the rotation.

Lets face it, we were playing russian roulette with BDW anyhow. The Redskins knew under normal circumstances that no team would sign him for what he wants. The Gilbert Brown deal throws a wrench in the plans. Now we may have to pay a little stiffer "penalty" for letting Big Daddy rest out of camp for a few weeks.

the Packers are more desperate because Favre is 34 and may retire after the season, so they are in full crisis mode to find help on the DL. It would not surprise me to see them overpay for FA DL help in the next couple of weeks or make a trade.

the Redskins have failed to fix the hole in the middle of the line through the free agent route going back to Sean Gilbert in 1996.

what this team has to do, beyond 2003, to improve there is to do what other teams have done, USE THE DRAFT.

the Skins have avoided taking DL in the draft like the plague.

meanwhile other teams like the Titans or Ravens take DL every year it seems within the first 2 or 3 picks and end up with solid defenses and the ability to weather the storm when a veteran free agent departs.

Beathard always seemed to take a high proportion of linemen with his selections, especially in the middle to late rounds. That paid dividends, on both sides of the ball.

You go back to 1981 and see the picks: May (OT), Grimm (0G), Manley (DE), Grant (DT).

In 1980 after Monk the Skins took Mat Mendenhall (DE) who started on the '82 title team.

In 1983 after Darrell Green the Skins took Charles Mann (DE).

Recent history?

This year, no defensive selections, one offensive linemen Dockery (0G) in round 3.

Last year, 10 draft selections, only 2 defensive players chosen, one lineman at #250 Scott (DE).

In 2001 more of the same. 5 selections, one lineman taken, again the last of the picks Monds (DT) in round 6.

In 2000, Cowsette in round 6 from Maryland.

So, in drafts where other teams are loading up on OL and DL the Skins have practically ignored the latter entirely while concentrating on the former in '99 with Jansen and '00 with Samuels.

But that's about it.

You get out what you put in.

We did the same dance over the quarterback spot. Spent a boatload of money and draft picks for Brad Johnson, Jeff George and then signed journeymen like Banks and Graham.

Finally, we invested a real pick in a qb, and now have someone with undeniable skills and upside.

It ain't magic folks :laugh: :laugh:

It's called making an investment :)

I'm not really sure what the point of signing Cannida is. We have a little depth there and we are going to make a more significant move to upgrade the d-line, someone is going to be sqeezed out of the mix. I think Cowsette's days here are numbered.

That being said, we are in a position to offer a little more to BDW and the promise that he won't play nose tackle, as he might in Green Bay. I could live with BDW at tackle, just not for $2M.

Archived