Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brendan Stai retires

Zen-like Todd

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NE/6558121

NFL.com wire reports

FOXBORO, Mass. (Aug. 10, 2003) -- New England Patriots guard Brendan Stai retired less than two weeks after signing a one-year contract.

Stai, who's 31 and a veteran of eight NFL seasons, told coach Bill Belichick of his decision.

"That one took me by surprise," Belichick said. "I definitely didn't see it coming. It was obviously a personal decision. I can't give you an explanation for it."

Originally a third-round draft pick from Nebraska in 1995, Stai was a rookie starter at right guard in the Super Bowl for the Steelers against Dallas.

He spent five seasons with Pittsburgh and also played for four other teams.

The 6-foot-4, 318-pound guard played in five games with the Redskins last year before injuring his knee. He had started 96 of 105 games and had a streak of 77 straight starts.

Stai played most of first half at right guard in the Patriots' 26-6 preseason victory over the New York Giants.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0810/1593418.html

Patriots guard Brendan Stai retired Sunday, less than two weeks after signing a one-year contract.

Stai, who's 31 and a veteran of eight NFL seasons, told coach Bill Belichick of his decision.

"That one took me by surprise," Belichick said. "I definitely didn't see it coming. It was obviously a personal decision. I can't give you an explanation for it."

Originally a third-round draft pick from Nebraska in 1995, Stai was a rookie starter at right guard in the Super Bowl for the Steelers against Dallas.

He spent five seasons with Pittsburgh and also played for four other teams.

The 6-foot-4, 318-pound guard played in five games with the Redskins last year before injuring his knee. He had started 96 of 105 games and had a streak of 77 straight starts

you could tell Stai was done last year. Detroit had a need for OL help and when they dumped him for a #5 pick you knew something was up. Then he was here and failed to show any spark at all. He seemed slow and unenergetic and failed to make any impression before getting hurt.

In a way, Stai of 2002 reminded me of Matt Campbell back in 2000, a guy that was just out of gas and about to leave the NFL after a solid career.

Archived