Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins vs Panthers:THE SEASON IS OVER!

Okay, maybe not. :)

The Good:

oh, Right.

- Rob Johnson showed more than I thought he would.

- Sultan McCullough looked really good, showed a great burst.

- Coles had that one great catch, too bad he didn't stay on his feet.

The Bad:

- The Defense (and I use that term loosely) just looked lost out there. The Run defense especially "sucked".

- O-Line got dominated all game long. Almost no running game.

- Candidate and Watson did nothing.

- Wuerffel looked worse than I thought he would.

The Ugly:

Special Teams - Punting sucked, Missed FG, No Return game. Blocking left a lot to be desired. If you pick up a great return man in Morton, you have to block for him too.

Penalties - TOO MANY!

Hopefully we'll take steps to trade for a veteran run-stuffer, because our DTs got slapped around like it was nobody's business. Really quite embarrasing.

You could explain away most facets of our suckiness as it being the first game of the preseason, but the D-line is a clear weakness. I wonder if Big Daddy's gotten any offers yet...

Originally posted by Art

I'd put Pierce in the good column as well.

And Peppi Zeller. He seemed to be getting into the Panthers backfield when he was in the game. Too bad at the time he was the ONLY one.

And remember that not all of our defensive starters were there. But we do need some DT help for sure!!!!!

I don't tape preseason games so I don't know what Pierce did on every play, but he seemed to be active and in on a number of tackles tonight as well as forcing two fumbles.

Recalling that he saw limited playing time, I think that was a LOT of contribution for a veteran player in the preseason.

Did you go back and watch the tape of the game to see what Pierce did on the other 30 odd snaps he was in for to make a liar of me? :)

Pierce and not Lemar Marshall, Clifton Smith or Shamar Finney is the player the Skins are going to count on to fill in for LaVar or Jessie Armstead in case either player can't go during the season.

In that regard, and based on what he did in 2001, I don't think #58 gets enough respect from fans here, some of whom label him as an 'easy' cut for the staff and forward other players such as Marshall as a guy that will 'make it' based on little actual evidence from on field performances :)

IMO our O line was much worse than our D line we didnt block anyone, (Dockery looked awful on a few palys he completely ignored incoming rushers) and when it looked as if they blocked someone in reality they only held them and cost us 10 yards.

maybe it had to do with chemistry I dont know

I'd suggest that breaking down individual performances in this "game" is meaningless. There were enough stupid penalties, dropped passes, missed assignments, missed tackles, and simple lack of sustained effort to make it clear to me this was a team-wide power failure.

They say football is a game of emotion. We didn't have any.

Well, other than the "oh ****" kind, after the first few plays.

The Redskins we were far, far less than the sum of their parts last night. Until they find the light switch, and find whatever it is that for this particular group turns them on and into a team with a common goal, they will continue to be. Someone needs to get their attention, and soon.

You say we made too many penalties, yes, but the officiating was horrible. I was at the game, seats at about the 30, Barker punted and hung one up there, it came down right in front of us...there was no one around the ball 'cept for the returner, the zebra, our guy barreling in on the returner and the guy who hit him squarley in the back. The striped one had a clear view, no yellow hankie. I don't know how it looked on TV, but I cannot for the life of me understand how you don't call that. This isn't sour grapes, we would not have won if the right call was made. There were many other bad and borderline calls. By the way, there were a boatload of Skins fans there. And we made some noise to the irritation of the Panther fan yuppies behind me.

Oh its just preseason, it means nothing, last year we kicked butt in preseason and our regular season was blah!! So maybe it will be the reverse this year. I think we have a great team especially with new acquistions from the Jets, I just don't have much confidence in the QB's. I surely hope that Ramsey has matured a little. Please stick with 1 QB this year!!!!!

Originally posted by Earthcat

You say we made too many penalties, yes, but the officiating was horrible. I was at the game, seats at about the 30, Barker punted and hung one up there, it came down right in front of us...there was no one around the ball 'cept for the returner, the zebra, our guy barreling in on the returner and the guy who hit him squarley in the back. The striped one had a clear view, no yellow hankie. I don't know how it looked on TV, but I cannot for the life of me understand how you don't call that. This isn't sour grapes, we would not have won if the right call was made. There were many other bad and borderline calls. By the way, there were a boatload of Skins fans there. And we made some noise to the irritation of the Panther fan yuppies behind me.

Dude, you are soooooooo right!!!!

I did see that play on TV, and when I saw that illegal hit, I screamed "CLIP!!!! CLIP!!!!". Of course it wasn't like the refs could hear me, but I did squint my eye in vain looking for a yellow flag, but alas, none was to be seen.

Got to know that we had some Redskins people in the seats there thought. Hopefully they eil be there to for the regular season matchup as well.

As for the clip that wasn't called, you are right. Even on TV it seemed obvious. But like you said, if they throw the flag and the Panthers start at the 15 instead of midfield it really doesn't change the game.

I'd like to point out that this game was indeed ugly but we need to keep some perspective here. First of all, we didnt have a K so we were getting inside the 20 on a couple occassions and just going for it on 4th down. Combine that with the fact that we had 2 HUGE drops early on with Ramsey in there that would have netted first downs instead of one punt and one turnover on downs, and the game could have turned out a lot different. Both guys (B. Johnson and Z. Flem) had at least 5 to 10 yards of open field in front of them. So Ramsey's performance becomes 4-6 with about 80 or so yards....not too bad. As an aside, I have NO CLUE why Flemister is still the starter and Royal is not. You get Royal a tighter chinstrap and he's golden.

I really can't cook up an excuse for the D Line. That will be a trouble area I think...even if Big Daddy ends up coming back. I wouldn't worry about the O Line, at this point in the season you have to assume that 3 ProBowl-caliber players and two other above average players will find a way to mesh.

Anyway my 2 cents....

Guest SPACESKINS

Welcome Earthcat!

Your right!My mouth dropped to the floor when that penalty wasn't called.Other penalties were also not called.

Well,let's just look forward to the next game ON OUR TURF!!!! :box:

Archived