Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Nats Thread

Jofizz

Anyone else see this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2010/news/story?id=5002750

Nationals release outfielder Dukes

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Outfielder Elijah Dukes has been released by the Washington Nationals, a sudden move with about two weeks left in spring training.

The Nationals announced the transaction with a terse, two-sentence news release Wednesday.

The 25-year-old Dukes had been expected to be Washington's starting right fielder.

He hit .242 with 31 homers and 123 RBIs in three seasons with Tampa Bay and Washington. He was limited to 188 games with the Nationals the past two seasons because of injuries.

Dukes appeared to have put his troubled past behind him, though, including suspensions in the majors and the minors for various confrontations with umpires, coaches and teammates while in Tampa Bay's organization; arrests for assault and for marijuana possession; and paternity suits.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

*where the hell did that come from?

Wasn't me, but right back at you :ols: for arguing that Markakis is better than Zimmerman.

Not like Kakes was cut from a 100 loss team while Zimmerman won the triple crown. The the two are shockingly similar players and I'd still rather have Markakis.

NM may have had a somewhat down year, but I'm sure he'll rebound.

((But this is the Nats thread. Just wait for the O's one in the tailgate on April 4. ;) ))

So is Maxwell getting the spot in the OF?

:ols:To the poster in another thread who kept arguing that Dukes is better than Markakis.

Kind of a surprising move, but Dukes was getting more expensive and there are younger guys competing.

Maybe we are in a better position than the O's to cut the Markakasis of the world. :ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

I am a big Dukes fan, and I'm sad to see him go. Elijah just never could fully grasp all of his raw talent and potential.

He was a loner in the clubhouse, and never really could get himself rolling before getting injured.

Maxwell, Bernadina, and Harris will platoon unless we sign Jermaine Dye.

The the two are shockingly similar players and I'd still rather have Markakis.

NM may have had a somewhat down year, but I'm sure he'll rebound.

And I'd rather have a younger, Gold Glove winning 3rd baseman than a slightly above average RF. To each his own.

But this is the Nats thread. Just wait for the O's one in the tailgate on April 4. ;) ))

Can't wait. A larger audience to witness the constant whining/angst of Baltimore fans.

And I'd rather have a younger, Gold Glove winning 3rd baseman than a slightly above average RF. To each his own.

Markakis is 10 month older, which isn't very significant. Zimmerman made a bunch of errors at 3b last year. He likes to throw em away.

Markakis had the highest OPS in the AL for RF in 08 (2nd in MLB) In 2007, he was 3rd best in the AL. He has an elite OF arm and is durable. Granted he had a down year last year, trying to do too much and had some off field distractions. I think He'll have a better year this year than Zimmerman, and we can discuss a sig bet if you wish.

But anyway,

Nats bumped Strasburg to minor league camp and will start in AA. I guess he'll get 5 starts there and maybe 3 or so in AAA and come up in June. My guess is they'll want him to debut at home, maybe June 18th against the White Sox.

Stras is pitching today in a minor league intra-squad game. So far through 4 IP, he has given up 1 hit and struck out 9 on 68 pitches.

So out of 12 batters, 9 have fanned, one has walked, and one got a hit. The other lone out was a grounder.

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping ourselves from getting swept by Philly might not seem like a big deal, given it's April, but it means a lot to me as a fan. I know Philly is the best team in the division, but you can't let them come into our house and smack us around the first three games right out the gate. I don't know what's going to happen this year, but I believe that win speaks volumes of the character of this baseball team. Definetly tougher then this time last year...

Looking forward to tonight against the Mets. Gonna have the gamecast goin since I'm at skool right now...

Archived