Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ive been wondering...(Recording Games)

Cope

Has anyone examined the idea of recording the games, importing them to the computer, compressing, and streaming them over the internet? I have a little experience with streaming, and in my estimation for 3 hours of video it would require 100 gb hd before compression, but the video that would be streamed is around 200-250 megs.

The best way I have come up with getting it to work would be to take the direct tv singal into a video break out box connected to a firewire port/vid ed. card. Then have the comp automatically capture/compress the vid. Then you could upload it to a server or maybe there is some sort of peer to peer video streaming ala shoutcast.

This way you could watch with maybe a 30? min delay the game or just keep the skins games on your hd instead of a vcr tape..

just a thought

Ryan

With the limitted upstream bandwidth that ISPs give their customers these days streaming video isn't really feasible.

One thing that I had planned on doing this year is recording all of the games on my PVR and making them available for download from my co-location server.

About the limited Bandwith,

Two solutions I can come up with off the top of my head. One would be a server that people would upload to. This would delay the video but i think it would be worth it to most people... Especially if they were uploaded in bits like the first quarter, or even between commerical breaks. 50 megs to upload would be doable.

The other idea would be the "bit torrent" idea. Bit torrent is a program to dl concerts and stuff, video included, one person hosts it up, somebody dl's, they leave there "window" open and thus contribute their bandwith, and its just a chain reaction from there on out. After the delay to upload the first file and the first wave of dlers it could spread very quickly...

Ryan

Oh the legality aside, but if only a few skins fans were aware of the process...plus too many people would make it be way to expensive to host ( bit torrent is supperior in that sense)

Ryan

Add:

I mean we are talking about the same fans who spend thousands on tickets, fly out from across country to see the traning camp etc...

Originally posted by Cope

Oh the legality aside, but if only a few skins fans were aware of the process...plus too many people would make it be way to expensive to host ( bit torrent is supperior in that sense)

Ryan

Add:

I mean we are talking about the same fans who spend thousands on tickets, fly out from across country to see the traning camp etc...

The man is right. As much as I would love to have access to Skins games on the web, the NFL would not take it well. It may not be easy for them to find out about it but if they DO, whoever was hosting or contibuting to it would be in a world of hurt. Think felony. And really, it would not be all that hard to imagine someone spilling the beans.

And as for this...

"I mean we are talking about the same fans who spend thousands on tickets, fly out from across country to see the traning camp etc..."

I would not cound on it as a viable defense. If you get caught you are toast. Period.

Just some friendly advice.

Archived