Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Statement/apology from Jeremy Shockey....

Statement from Jeremy Shockey

August 9, 2003

Jeremy Shockey spoke briefly to the media this afternoon. In addition to the comments he made to the media outside the team's training camp dining area, the Giants issued the following statement on Shockey's behalf:

"I want to apologize to my family, my teammates and the Giants organization. I did not intend to disrespect anyone, but I understand that is exactly what I have done with several of my recent comments in the stuff that has come out and continues to come out. Several of my comments have been thoughtless, immature and made with a total disregard for those around me and for any possible consequences. I understand that some of my comments have been irresponsible. I have disrespected myself, my coach, my family and my teammates, and once again, I would like to apologize for that. I spoke with Coach Fassel this morning and he made it clear to me that some of my recent comments are completely unacceptable, and I understand where he's coming from. My age is not an excuse and ignorance is not an excuse. My mother taught me better than this, and my recent actions have shown a complete disregard for that upbringing. I am aware of how upset Mr. Mara and Mr. Tisch are with me for saying some of the stupid things I've said, and I do not blame them. All I can do now is reassure them that I am proud to be a member of this organization, and that I will represent this franchise in that way from here on out. The best thing for me to do right now is keep my mouth shut and focus on winning football games."

Here is more of what was posted. Not sure if it is different than what I first posted or if it was just an add on.

"First, with all the publications and everything that have come out, I apologize for everything I said that offended people. Really, at the time it was just a laughing matter for me. I was just having fun with it. Now that I see all of the stuff that it has caused and all the time it has taken away from you guys -- you guys could be doing something else -- I would like to apologize for everything like that to my family, my friends, my teammates and the owners of this great organization, and to my coach. All of the stuff I say, it is just how I am. A lot of the publications that were there were fun and games and were something that were a laughing matter at the time. And now, I didn't know that they could put that quote in this magazine and make it look like I am here and bad. I am learning, it's a new thing for me and now I have learned the hard way. Sometimes that is the best way. I am going to be as plain as possible, you'll probably never hear me say an outrageous thing again. I'll probably never talk to you guys again. That's where I stand right now. Things I say, whether they're right or wrong or whether they get printed as right or wrong, it doesn't matter. It is my fault for doing the interview, it's my fault for letting him get the best of me, and it is not going to happen again, I can tell you that.

Everything I say they only take half the sentence, they erase the other half, they change it. It's just how it works. I understand that you all have a job to do, you all have to do things. That's all I really have to say about that. Now I have to do things to help this team get better and help this organization win a lot of football games."

Originally posted by SlinginSammy

I personally think he has nothing to apologize about. I think society as a whole needs to get thicker skin. Big deal. The word homo, fag and qweer are used all the time on television. Lord knows South Park does it's share of using these words.

Shockey wasn't on South Park. It has to do with respect.

You do know about respect, right?

This is the same as saying to yourself.........Lord.......that Blondie is a b!tch. However, saying it in public and having it recording would cause a bit of a scene. Thinking it is one thing.......having it recorded for all time is something else.

:)

Blondie

Blondie I do know about respect. I just think too many people get frazzled at what people say. Big deal. I mean are we talking about Parcell being insulted or the gay community? Either way, I don't think it will give Parcell a mental breakdown causing him to want to go into a mass shooting or hating his parents. Yeah it's stupid to say things on the record when you're famous, but people have to learn to let things roll off of them.

First Draft - Public Apology

by Jeremy Shockey

Dear Guys,

Despite being one of the most dominating, attractive, and personable Tight Ends in NFL history, its clear that I've disappointed the world with my insensitive and propane remarks. I know I was dead wrong calling Coach Parcells a homo. This remark clearly was offensive to the many homos in our society. For that I am dearly sorry. I hope you can accept my accolades. From what I've heard about homos, Coach Parcells is not at all like them.. Although its not like I'm Kobe Bryant or anything, I shouldn't have said what I did. It was wrong. And let me also say if Kobe did stick it to that ho without her giving the thumbs-up, well that was wrong too and that son of a b*tch should say he's sorry as well. Or else be prepared to buy a lot more jewelry.

Watching 'Queer Eye for a Straight Guy' the other night with a few of my 'light in the loafer' friends, I couldn't help but imagine a world where fags and normal guys like me get along. Oh, and all my black friends too. And I know Coach Parcells would agree with me when I quote the great Martin Luther King 'let men be judged by the quality of their character whether they are fudgepackers or not' ...Well..anyway, you know what I mean.

I am truly sorry for my honesty, and promise not to make such unconstitutional remarks in the future. GIANTS RULE BABY!!!!!! Shockey is IN THE HIIIIIIOUUUUSE!!!

Long haired guys should refrain from calling some one a Homo especially when they are looking for deodorant and hair endorsements.

Plus they should have rings on their fingers and be the reason that the midgets could stick their chests out back in the 80's and 90's.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

Oh come now, let's not stoop to name calling. :laugh:

Tom the one thing I didn't like is he never mentioned Parcells name in the apology. In reality it was nothing much at all. I don't know if you heard yet or not but he also said some things in a new article this week saying that a lot of his teamates have girls on the side.

You better shut this kid up because now Tiki and Strahan are pissed at him.

Archived